Doggie Problem...Help

jeneisen

Indy Bound
We have a Rottie about 9 years old. The best dog in the world usually but recently she is urinating everwhere in my house and pooping too. I have also known her to eat it recently too which she has never done before. The vet says there isn't anything physically wrong with her so I am think she is mad about something. Does anyone know what I can do to stop this or what it could be?

B

Beach Patrol

Yeah, your Rottie sounds like she's pissed off at you. Leave her alone alot do ya? She knows that she's supposed to go outside to do her 'stuff' so she's attempting to ''hide the evidence'' by eating it. Did you crate train her? Do you leave poopy pads for her? It could be that she's becoming physically incompetent now that she's older & just CAN'T hold it for a long period of time, and again - eats the evidence so you don't think she's ''bad dog''.

This is actually very common in dogs who want to please their masters but are pretty much mad at them for leaving them alone for such long periods. But it is also common in dogs who are having 'hold it' problems. It may not be an illness, just a fact of getting older & upset at you for leaving.

I can diagnose this.... unfortunately I don't know what to tell you to do to stop it! :ohwell:

Good luck! :)

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well I come home everyday at lunch to walk her and she is getting plenty of attention. I do think she is doing it on purpose but I am not sure why. I am having new carpet put in the house and I am worried she is going to continue this. I am going to try and get a crate to put her in and see if it helps. I hate to do that to her but I don't have a choice.

spinner

It sounds like she is really unhappy about something...try putting some Accent Flavor enhancer [if they still make it] on her food, it will break her of the habit of eating her poop. No, I don't know why but it works. We used it on kennel dogs- sometimes it is a habit they pick up out of boredom.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Jealousy? Have you recently had overnight house guests, new baby or new pet; maybe a change in dog's schedule or food? If not, it could just be the dog's age. How does the dog react when you find out she's been "bad"?

Crabby Old Lady

Knit picking
If she had no bad toilet habits before, she may have something physically wrong with her. I have a nine year old male rottie, and have never had him throw tantrums after he got out of puppy stage. We both are gone all day and as long as he has his couch he is happy! I think it would be worth another trip to the vet and have them run some blood & urine tests. My old yellow lab started something similiar except the eating of it. And he had some imbalances diagnosed. You might want to hold off on the new carpet, she is considered a senior citizen for their breed. Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

Cowgirl

Coprophogia (eating of feces) is actually a fairly common thing in dogs. There is medicine available to add to the food to prevent the dog from eating their stools. I know Petsmart has it ...other petstores also probably have it. I really don't think your dog is doing this for 'revenge.' People always say their dog was mad at them and peed in the house, but I really don't think that their brains work that way. I agree that it is probably because of changes in her routine or food or something. Make sure you are completely cleaning the urine spots. If she can smell it, she will go there again. I recommend steam cleaning it. Good luck and keep us updated!

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well when she first started doing this we just took her right to the vet. We spent 400.00 on blood tests and they all came back normal. So I definately know its not a medical thing. I have tried steam cleaning but I think its in the padding. I am selling my house so I definately need new carpet. We are to the point where we aren't even doing anything to her anymore. I bought some baby gates and now I am going to lock her in the kitchen during the day. I can't think of anything that has changed so I am going to give that a shot. I am just getting really frustrated with her.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Jen,
After I had my son one of my dogs started doing the same thing. For those of you who think dogs can't get jealous, yeah right! I tried everything with my dog and eventually had to have her put on Anapryl (sp?) it's basically doggie Prozac. She's been on it a couple months and hasn't done her business in the house since. I'd ask you vet about it and consider it an option.

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
I don't know what to say...

either she is just having digestion problems...
or her old age won't allow her to "hold it" anymore...
or she is marking her territory....
If you've been walking her more than enough...and she is always going in the house.... she may be marking her territory... have you had any other dogs in your house...or even new people?
Somehow, she may sense competition...and she may be letting it be known...that your home is HER grounds...

I doubt she is doing it out of anger...unless she is doing it only when you are away...

You said there that you had blood tests and stuff...
it could be some sort of mental illness...

hope the situation changes soon!!

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
Originally posted by pixiegirl
For those of you who think dogs can't get jealous, yeah right!

Who said that dogs don't get jealous??!!!

I second that "yeah right!"

My doggie gets jealous big time... if I even touch another dog.
She's "the jealous type"...:lol: ;)

Cowgirl

I don't think anyone said dogs don't get jealous.... I think dogs can get jealous...I know mine do when I spend time with another one. What I meant earlier is that I don't think her dog is peeing to spite her. What I mean is, I don't think her dog is thinking 'mom left, and I'm mad, so I'm going to pee in the house." Who knows what these animals are thinking....sometimes I wish I could read their minds! I would sure make things easier!