Landlords

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
I've found out the hard way that renters have more rights than landlords, but there are ways to get money that is owed to you. I'll help in any way I can.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I've found out the hard way that renters have more rights than landlords, but there are ways to get money that is owed to you. I'll help in any way I can.
Can you provide me with any information on landlords that rent to crappy renters and any recourse the homeowners across the street might have to put up with the crappy renters, i.e., drug dealers, abusers and people that have 10 cars in their yard every day, and if the homeowners in the neighborhood have any recourse against the crappy landlords for ruining their peace of mind and their right to enjoy the homes they have PAID for? Just asking.....Can I sue a crappy landlord that is dragging the entire neighborhood down?

Last edited:

morrigan625

I've also recently learned the hard way that renters have more rights than some people would think. There are books you can pick up that can be very helpful, and Marylands Legal Aid recommended Baltimore Neighborhoods, Inc. (BNI) who were very helpful. (They help all Maryland residents, not just Balt.)

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
I've also recently learned the hard way that renters have more rights than some people would think. There are books you can pick up that can be very helpful, and Marylands Legal Aid recommended Baltimore Neighborhoods, Inc. (BNI) who were very helpful. (They help all Maryland residents, not just Balt.)

I have had the same experience. Sorry to others who've had bad experiences with tenants, but would like to say that the landlords really can't do anything to help you. The tenants are the bad guys in this situation; I did all I could to help my tenants.
But if you are a landlord looking for restitution, I can help. Otherwise, I'm not referring to you. :hot:

johnjrval424

Can you provide me with any information on landlords that rent to crappy renters and any recourse the homeowners across the street might have to put up with the crappy renters, i.e., drug dealers, abusers and people that have 10 cars in their yard every day, and if the homeowners in the neighborhood have any recourse against the crappy landlords for ruining their peace of mind and their right to enjoy the homes they have PAID for? Just asking.....Can I sue a crappy landlord that is dragging the entire neighborhood down?

I was told by Calvert County that there is little I can do about the homeowners (yes, homeowners) who let their yard look like a slum (at least 7 cars, 5 with no tags, all over the yard).

I called MSP to ask if they could come out and tag the cars for them to be towed. I haven't seen anything happen on that yet. Yes, they can tag cars for being a nuisance, especially if they aren't tagged by the MVA.

The occupants have been busted for selling out of the house so I know for a fact it is going on. It is the only house on our street that looks like a slum. Calvert County tells me there is nothing they can do unless it presents a health hazard.

Doctor

Dr. Mat

You have to take more time off from work and take them to court again and then when they do not show or you win you will never get paid. Or since the law is not on your side, they will win cause you forgot to cross a "T" in the contract.

Have a contract, have sec. dep. and file as soon as they are late with the court. If they pay, then just don't show to court and it is dropped. If they still owe you then go to court and they will even show and pay or you will win. Then next week you go again and can file to evict or if the have payed it is dropped. After three of them and you win you can boot them even if they pay. After that you have to file to have cops come out and all. Still takes 3-5 weeks so start early so you will not loose more money. Keep Sec. Dep. as last rent and hope they do not wreck the place

But all the laws are against you

wineo

loving life

What about crappy LANDLORDS who rent homes that are not liveable? What can renters do, if house is infested with mold and you tell the landlord and after 2 months they do nothing. What about LANDLORDS that are slumlords, what do you do about them?

Doctor

Dr. Mat
What about crappy LANDLORDS who rent homes that are not liveable? What can renters do, if house is infested with mold and you tell the landlord and after 2 months they do nothing. What about LANDLORDS that are slumlords, what do you do about them?

Can you not move?

wineo

loving life
Can you not move?

Yes I did move, and now they have to fix all repairs and can not rent until they are completed. But, who paid me to move after being there only 6 months because HARRY HOMEOWNER remodled and caused the house to become moisture locked. Who paid my medical bills and vet bills for the health issues the mold caused? Who pays for the items and clothes that had to be thrown away? Who pays for me having to move and find another place?

That's right THE LANDLORD will when we take them to court for damages THEIR house caused.

Some LANDLORDS are just as bad as tenants, and when you ignore the tenants compliants, this is what happens. They have no rental $$ coming in now, since the house is unrentable. They should have made the repairs when we advised them of the mold in late Dec.

onebdzee

off the shelf

Tell your landlord(in a certified letter) that you gave him ample enough time to correct the mold issue in the house and you are going to call someone to take care of it yourself and take it out of the rent

wineo

loving life
Tell your landlord(in a certified letter) that you gave him ample enough time to correct the mold issue in the house and you are going to call someone to take care of it yourself and take it out of the rent

I did call them, they brought over a dihumidifier, and that was it. So I called the county and they did an inspection, sent owner letter telling them, they have to have "A Certified Mold Contractor" do the work on the house. We were not going to pay for that and the HH thinks the problem is the plastic we had to put on the windows because the seals were blown and to keep the moisture out and heat in, the mold growth did slow down on the windowsills after we did that, but not the ceiling or walls and closets, that led to calling us FU@@ing White Tralier Trash, this is the person who I paid 1,100.00 @month to. So I showed them what FWTT can do. I am out of there and love our new place.

I just think most people tend to side with landlords, when some of the time the tenant is in the right. I don't need no stinkin Dr., to ask me if I can move. We had only been there 6 months, who would want to go thru moving again. We did and we are all setup in new home and loving it.

Last edited:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Yes I did move, and now they have to fix all repairs and can not rent until they are completed. But, who paid me to move after being there only 6 months because HARRY HOMEOWNER remodled and caused the house to become moisture locked. Who paid my medical bills and vet bills for the health issues the mold caused? Who pays for the items and clothes that had to be thrown away? Who pays for me having to move and find another place?

Certainly not YOU of course. I mean after all, you're the VICTIM!!!

Did you really spend 6 monthsin a moldy house?? :barf:

wineo

loving life
Certainly not YOU of course. I mean after all, you're the VICTIM!!!

Did you really spend 6 monthsin a moldy house?? :barf:

Yes, moved in Sept, all was painted and looked nice. First noticed the mold growing on the windowsills, and the water on the inside of the windows every morning, this was about the middle of Oct. begining of Nov. Then in Dec. noticed the crown molding was cracking all around the walls close to the ceiling. Then I started to notice blackish color coming thru the ceiling in various places in the house and the smell of mildew.

When I called the LL he said" We have never had a problem before", that is when I found out he remodled after the previous tenants moved.

That's ok, I have pictures, documentation and the county on myside. They should have gotten the letter on Monday:yahoo:

That is justice enough for me.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines

Like I said, renters have more rights than landlords. How can a house be "infested" with mold? Mold usually comes from not cleaning...:yay:

InsanelyBusy

Depending on situation, most molds that cause problems are not due to uncleanliness.

Perpetual moisture problems cause mold. If there is too much mold, then the wood, the carpets, the materials the edifice was built with may be infested with mold. A simple dehumidifyer will NOT cure a mold problem. It may slow it down, but wont eliminate it.

We dealt with mold in a house that we lived in, that was built in the 1950's, when we lived in another state. It was close to a river, and the whole area was a moisture pit.

It was never because my house was filthy, or not dry- the mold started in the materials of the house due to moisture over the years since the house was built. When we looked at the house, our previous landlord also painted over mold, that they apparently thought that one cleaning with bleach, and using Kilz & painting over would cure.

We later found out, that the inner walls and materials that the house was built out of was completely taken over. Our family kept getting sick due to the mold- no matter HOW often I cleaned. I couldnt get rid of the smell, nor the way it took over our closets- we took clothing out of the closets and took pictures. The sickness from the mold was one of the first things we dealt with, and we soon found out why. We moved- the county or whoever inspected our house we had rented & our complaints and the owners of the house we rented were held liable.

The house was a very NICE house- in a VERY nice historical district.
It was all due to the age of the house, the location, the building materials used when it was built, and the way the mold had infested the very walls of the house in areas- from the outside of the house and basement, to the inside of the building materials used for the house.

Best of luck to you in your situation.

Last edited:

General Lee

Yeah really, The owner who owns those sorry houses on Arlington Drive in Mechanicsville needs to get in gear and fix those houses up. Real shame. I feel sorry for the residents that live on that street, for they have to look at that crap every day.

wineo

loving life
Like I said, renters have more rights than landlords. How can a house be "infested" with mold? Mold usually comes from not cleaning...:yay:

You are a complete idiot. Mold does not come from NOT CLEANING, three different molds was the outcome of the testing. It is because the house was moisture lock, due to him removing the attick acess and building the backyard up by 2 ft., so the moisture laid under the house as well.

So I guess I didn't clean the walls in my closet and that is my fault:sarcasm:

Read up on mold and you might just get educated

keepsmiling

I was told by Calvert County that there is little I can do about the homeowners (yes, homeowners) who let their yard look like a slum (at least 7 cars, 5 with no tags, all over the yard).

I called MSP to ask if they could come out and tag the cars for them to be towed. I haven't seen anything happen on that yet. Yes, they can tag cars for being a nuisance, especially if they aren't tagged by the MVA.

The occupants have been busted for selling out of the house so I know for a fact it is going on. It is the only house on our street that looks like a slum. Calvert County tells me there is nothing they can do unless it presents a health hazard.

Hi, you were given wrong information, call Calvert County Government, 410-535-1600, ask for Code Enforcement. Any lot owner in Calvert County is only allowed ONE inoperable vehicle and TWO in certain areas. They can explain that to you. They will do an inspection and give certain time to clean it up. I have a neighbor the same way. There is also an ordinance for cutting your grass in Calvert County. Code Enforcement can't do anything about the drugs but they can take care of the cars and trash. Good luck and stay on top of it with Code Enforcement, sometimes there a little slow, but they are the ones to speak with, and if that doesn't solve the problem, call your Commisioner's Office, they don't like phone calls complaining about an employee or office not doing their jobs.