Pigskin Football/cheeerleading stuff???

Kismet

Hiya gang.

Long time- no post here. Am in dire need of info...
Anyhoo.....

Back in May, we enrolled our daughter in the St. Marys county Pigskin cheerleading league. There arent many kids in our neighborhood, and she needs to meet other kids somehow & has the energy for cheerleading, so we thought it was a good idea.

So far, since enrollment was May 21st, we've gotten no communication from anyone who represents this league, and these folks were supposed to call or send something in the postal mail regarding the program to those who enrolled their kids. I also wanted to see if i could volunteer if they needed any help with coaching cheer squads or something.

We see signs up in closed business yards ( An old Western Sizzlin' restraunt closed down is the local advertising in California???) About last sign ups, and something about "Lettie Dent" whatever "Lettie Dent" is. Sorry, I'm clueless here....:confused:

Does anyone know of anyone who is associated with this St Marys County Pigskin Cheerleading League? And If so, would you be so kind as to either post what you know here?

Thanks in advance for any help or info you may be able to pass along.

K

Kain99

Call Parks and Rec... they will give you the phone number to the guy in charge.

I had to call him last year. If you can wait it out... The coach will call a week before the first practice.

Kismet

Thanks. WILL call parks & rec... hopefully will get some kind of useful info.
These folks need me on their staff. I think that parents deserve more than a weeks notice for anything like this. Money doesnt grow on trees, and notice should be given for preparation....

Taz

Kismet,
My daughter (7 year old) did the cheerleading thing a year ago. They will all get together at Lettie Dent School a few weeks before the Pigskin Football season starts and there you will meet her coach and find out when/where practices will be and when uniforms will be passed out.
I will let you know ahead of time a lot depends on who her coach is. Some coaches spend a lot of time with the girls and are a godsend. They will let you know everything that is going on and give you their phone number, email, etc. Other coaches appear not to really care and it can be frustrating for a youngster, especially if they don't practice much.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I can get you a phone # this evening. I have all that info at home. We signed out kids up for football and cheerleading. FYI, the draft is tonight, not sure if the "draft" really for cheerleaders. There is also a "get to know your coach" BBQ this Saturday up near Lettie Dent Elementary from 2-6PM.

Kismet

GRRR

Phoned a number that i got off of a pdf file fromt he parks & rec thing.

Got a guy who basically "TOLD" me what would be what, and all.
I guess I will have to wait until the last minute and hope like crazy I can arrange tiem for everything. Am not certified to be a cheer coach, was just willing to help, and THAT was not good enough. All the guy could talk about after that was legal mumbo jumbo, which I am not out to get anyone sued over injuries or anything. Jeesh.

Im hoping that our daughters experience with this program is much better than my phone call just went.

Our daughter doesnt come back from her visitation with her dads side of her family until August. We are stuck hoping she gets home in time to participate. ( Now that we have paid a different amount of money that the parks & rec stated on the brochure. )

Kismet

Hey Christy

A get to know your coach BBQ?

No one had even gotten hold of us to tell us anything about a draft, or a get to know your coach thing.

Ok. Where is theis Lettie Dent school at? And i need to know if cheer squads are going to be associated with this?
We got NO info what so ever about this.

Yikes, Im glad we didnt plan anything for this weekend, except that our daughter is still visiting in Ohio, and wont be home until August 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christy

b*tch rocket
Kismet, try and get in touch with Trudy, sounds like you spoke with Don Kemp, who isn't much known for his people skills.

To get to Lettie Dent you go 235 N and take a right on Rt. 6. It's on the left about 1/8 of a mile up the road.

Kismet

Thanks Christy

I conclude that i will HAVE to call and talk to Trudy, as the guy left the BBQ completely out of the conversation.

And TY for the directions.

Very much appreciated.

There is a large park complex out behind Lettie Dent. To get to the football field you turn into the parking lot at Lettie Dent at the 2nd entrance (by the park sign) and go straight back.Don't make any turns off the main road and you will find the field all the way in the back of the park.
I saw them having signups at the school and wondered what they were doing. No signs saying what they were doing at the school. One sign out on 5, but none at the school. Stopped to ask and found out my oldest boy is old enough for football. Took the paperwork home with me to show the wife. That is when I realized that nowhere in the packet is any info on practices or games. Talk about unorganized.

Kismet

Thank you folks who gave the phone and website info.
I downloaded the .PDF file that had the pigskin football/cheer info on the summer parks & rec brochure. It had the phone number & all that info...AWESOME.

I highly recommend that when you call the number for pigskin info, that you ask for TRUDY. She is a wonderful source of USEFUL info. She answered EVERY question I had.

The BBQ event this Saturday ove rby Lettie Dent School is for the football players only, per Trudy. Cheerleaders have not been assigned to squads, nor do they have any idea who the coaches are yet, acoording to Trudy. Those of us who have girls in cheerleading have to wait for the cheer coaches to phone us.

First game is the first Saturday after Labor Day.
Apparently they begin around 11am, and end close to 2pm.
Am guessing that if parents want to be highly involved in what their kids are doing, they have to get to know the coaches that phone them with internal info regarding their specific child.

I am in Division 2. If anyone figures out that they are in the same area, and needs any info that I may have, please feel free to email me ( auto upon posting reply here).

I am an involved parent. I happen to like to know what our child is into, and whats going on, and like to help. I dont like the way that this area leaves things up to "word of mouth" so much.
It confuses people, as details get misconstrued easily, and then mistakes start happening. They'd never make it happen in the area that my family is from....its not left up to the last minute system of doing things. However, this pigskin program has been around for 29 years I guess. So folks must be used to this system.

Thanks again for all of your very helpful posts.
Now that its mid-afternon... Im awake.. I think.. LOL. I didnt say i could type, just that im awake...

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by huntr1
There is a large park complex out behind Lettie Dent. To get to the football field you turn into the parking lot at Lettie Dent at the 2nd entrance (by the park sign) and go straight back.Don't make any turns off the main road and you will find the field all the way in the back of the park.
I saw them having signups at the school and wondered what they were doing. No signs saying what they were doing at the school. One sign out on 5, but none at the school. Stopped to ask and found out my oldest boy is old enough for football. Took the paperwork home with me to show the wife. That is when I realized that nowhere in the packet is any info on practices or games. Talk about unorganized.

What day did you get your packet? Did you sign him up yet? If not you're too late and they probably won't make any exceptions. We signed up last Saturday (at Lettie Dent), they provided us with the list of "rules" as well as the info on the BBQ.

Practice varies from team to team and the coaches schedules. Your kids coach will call and let you know when practice starts. The draft is tonight, so the coaches won't know what kids are on their team until then.

We decided that since he had expressed no interest in football, but had in soccer, we would wait for soccer in the spring.