FURminator

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
FURminator

Anyone try this gadget? It's a grooming tool for dogs and cats that supposedly gets more hair out of the animal than traditional brushes because it cleans out the undercoat.

Kiki sheds like crazy and my allergic Mom is coming to visit in April (go ahead, ask why my allergic Mom would want to come to a house with two cats :jet:). Because I am a nice person, I'd like to reduce the allergens as much as possible, plus the hair is all over the place anyway and it's a PITA.

This thing is $35, but it's worth it if it works. So does it work?

donbarzini

FURminator

Anyone try this gadget? It's a grooming tool for dogs and cats that supposedly gets more hair out of the animal than traditional brushes because it cleans out the undercoat.

Kiki sheds like crazy and my allergic Mom is coming to visit in April (go ahead, ask why my allergic Mom would want to come to a house with two cats :jet:). Because I am a nice person, I'd like to reduce the allergens as much as possible, plus the hair is all over the place anyway and it's a PITA.

Bought it. Tried it.:bs:for anything but the topcoat.

nobody really

I need a nap
Bought it. Tried it.:bs:for anything but the topcoat.

yeah, i kinda agree - it does a great job (I have a shiloh shepard - bigger than a german shepard, and longer hair). Doesn't too well on the undercoat. As expensive as it is, i was kinda disappointed.

SoftballCrazy

FURminator

A while back, Krazd had what she thought was a long haired rottie...after using the furminator on her, she really was a regular coated rottie...It worked on Maddie.
I use it on my G.S., I like it but seems I can brush forever and hair keeps coming off.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
:yay: get one off of ebay for 1/4 or a 1/3 of that price..They have new ones now where you can change the blade (razor) in them..the furmanator is basically a 40 blade (clipper) and gets dull..also look at petedge.com they will be cheaper then some other places..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So some say it works, others say it doesn't. :lol:

What type of fur did the animals have that anyone tried it on? Maybe that makes a difference. Kiki has baby fine hair, very light, but she has a TON of it. When I first saw it on my clothes, I didn't realize it was her fur - it looked like regular fuzzies.

donbarzini

What type of fur did the animals have that anyone tried it on? Maybe that makes a difference. Kiki has baby fine hair, very light, but she has a TON of it. When I first saw it on my clothes, I didn't realize it was her fur - it looked like regular fuzzies.

have short haired "tiger" that it worked fine on. Also had a long haired calico with the fine hair. Didn't work for $#%^.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

She like(d) to be brushed. Just get a kitty comb or something like that. I wouldn't do anything that "shaves" the hair.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She like(d) to be brushed. Just get a kitty comb or something like that. I wouldn't do anything that "shaves" the hair.

I can brush her until my arms fall off and she's still wafting hair all over the place. A little bit is one thing - she's a cat after all - but her baby fur is all over everything. I figure one good solid grooming every month or so, then daily brushing, should keep her manageable.

That's the good news, though - she does like being brushed. And I have a sticky roller that she likes as well, which is all Claudia will stand because she hates the brushing. Plus Kiki doesn't mind when I Dustbuster her. :lol:

jenbengen

Watch it
I can brush her until my arms fall off and she's still wafting hair all over the place. A little bit is one thing - she's a cat after all - but her baby fur is all over everything. I figure one good solid grooming every month or so, then daily brushing, should keep her manageable.

That's the good news, though - she does like being brushed. And I have a sticky roller that she likes as well, which is all Claudia will stand because she hates the brushing. Plus Kiki doesn't mind when I Dustbuster her. :lol:

Thanks for posting about the Furminator. I went to get it the other day and said no thanks to the price.
Settled on some pos circular shaped thing that didn't get a single hair off of my cats. :lmao: Here is a link to it. It looks like a torture device. Maybe I used it incorrectly, but I was afraid of hurting my cat. :pete:

Cat | Cat Grooming | Easy Groom Cat Shedding Blade | Petsmart.com

Geek

Did you ever consider getting them shaved down?

nobody really

I need a nap
Thanks for posting about the Furminator. I went to get it the other day and said no thanks to the price.
Settled on some pos circular shaped thing that didn't get a single hair off of my cats. :lmao: Here is a link to it. It looks like a torture device. Maybe I used it incorrectly, but I was afraid of hurting my cat. :pete:

Cat | Cat Grooming | Easy Groom Cat Shedding Blade | Petsmart.com

join the club - i had one, didn't work. i don't even understand why its round like that.

Booboo3604

We use it on our black labs and I think it works great. I typically brush them once a week really well and it keeps down on a lot of the dog hair.

Sometimes we get to the cats but they arent a big fan of it for some reason. Unless they are being rubbed by a person, they arent interested.

I bought ours off the internet so we didnt pay an arm and a leg for it either.

Last edited: