Moving to Charles County?

robinsonhj

Hello,
Just trying to get some advice on where to move in Charles county. I used to live there, moved in 2001. Married with 2 boys (7, 4). My job may have me in the area again in late summer.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
Waldorf has gotten worse. A lot more stores and restaurants. I like living in La Plata, but not in the town of La Plata. I heard town residents' taxes increased last year. I have been told T.C. Martin is one of the better elementary schools in Charles County, so it might be worth checking out neighborhoods in that school district.

mtordie

Hello,
Just trying to get some advice on where to move in Charles county. I used to live there, moved in 2001. Married with 2 boys (7, 4). My job may have me in the area again in late summer.

Boy are you in for a shock. I would consider moving to St. Marys or Calvert and commute before I would move to Charles. I avoid that place every chance I get.

robinsonhj

Well I know to stay away from thomas stone area. I used to live behind the mall in dorcester. I know waldorf have gotten worse, but is it that bad. I probably will be looking in white plains/laplata. Just trying to find the best school district. I heard calvert was excellent but to far to commute.

OldHillcrestGuy

LaPlata, Bryantown,Hughesville, and Dentsville, or East Waldorf which would be Gallant Green, Woodville Rd. area, alot of that area has a Wladorf zipcode or a Brandywine zipcode.

Last edited:

GRN96WS6

I'm really curious as to why people say AVOID Waldorf I mean yes more people and businesses have come into town but I don't think the town itself is THAT bad, I think a lot of you are over reacting. Maybe even the fact that some of you are used to the old Southern Maryland which was less populated and obviously had less crime, with more people comes more crime but I mean its not like I would be afraid to walk outside a lone at night.

There are good areas in Waldorf and bad just like any town they all have areas to avoid and areas to consider.

That being said if you want Charles and are considering Waldorf you should look around Dorchester the homes are small but if that doesn't bother you the neighborhoods are not bad. Also there are a lot of places off of 228 that are pretty nice.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
I'm really curious as to why people say AVOID Waldorf I mean yes more people and businesses have come into town but I don't think the town itself is THAT bad, I think a lot of you are over reacting. Maybe even the fact that some of you are used to the old Southern Maryland which was less populated and obviously had less crime, with more people comes more crime but I mean its not like I would be afraid to walk outside a lone at night.

There are good areas in Waldorf and bad just like any town they all have areas to avoid and areas to consider.

That being said if you want Charles and are considering Waldorf you should look around Dorchester the homes are small but if that doesn't bother you the neighborhoods are not bad. Also there are a lot of places off of 228 that are pretty nice.

I like Waldorf for its shopping. I wouldn't live there though. I just don't have that warm and fuzzy feeling walking around the shopping centers and mall at night. Shop during the day, keep no money in your wallet (just in case) and always lock your car doors.

robinsonhj

I'm actually doing the commute now. My job has me up here for a 3-4 month rotation in belvoir. I decided to live near waldorf to test out the commute. It's actually is not as bad as I thought. It takes me about 50min-1hr to get there.

robinsonhj

That's what I was thinking. I used to live in Dorchester. I understand waldorf has gotten worse because of the growth, listening to some people they make it seems like it's oxon hill, landover or suitland. Is it that bad??? I was riding around and saw North pointe high school and was very impressed.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
listening to some people they make it seems like it's oxon hill, landover or suitland. Is it that bad???
Yep. Because... many folks who used to live in Oxon Hill, Landover, or Suitland have moved down this way.

Not many years ago, carjackers and other thieves learned they could make an easy escape heading straight down 210 or 301. As more people and businesses came, the criminals decided to take advantage because people believed these areas were safe. Then the bad guys decided not to leave for the same reasons everyone else was here - cheaper living costs. So today several parts of Charles and even a couple in St. Mary's have adopted the problems of D.C. and other points north.

Welcome back! :howdy:

robinsonhj

wow, i guess you can't avoid growth no matter where you go. Don't want to live in northern va to congested. Even with waldorf's growth is no where compares to the congestion of living i NVA. All I want is safe area and good school systems for the kids.

backagain39

wow, i guess you can't avoid growth no matter where you go. Don't want to live in northern va to congested. Even with waldorf's growth is no where compares to the congestion of living i NVA. All I want is safe area and good school systems for the kids.

Try this website, it gives all information on schools across the US.

GreatSchools.net