Does anyone know about this organization?

Crabby Old Lady

Knit picking
This was posted under the dog classifieds and am curious if anyone knows anything about them. I have emailed them and have not recieved and answer. As we have been trying to find a home for a very troubled stray.
Thanks for your help!

Posted by: Rescue Doggies on June 29, 2002 at 19:36:20:
E-Mail: Click Here to send E-Mail to the advertiser! (<== E-Mail Link Doesn't Work?: Click Here!)
We will take unwanted dogs. We will have them spayed/neutered if its not done yet. Also will find them a good home. We do home check and visits to make sure they are happy.
If you have an unwanted dogs or needed to be taken cause of any reason, please email us

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Re: see what I mean ?

Originally posted by BchBns
it doesn't sound very legit ... but that's just me.
I heard the warning bells too.

Crabby, check them out very carefully before you give them your dog. They didn't put a real organization name into their ad. You never know what they want dogs for. They may very well be legit. Go to them if possible, don't let some stranger come and pick up your pup.

slackwater514

I agree, it doesn't sound good...and besides Chinese restaurants, beware of 'rescues' that sell dogs to research institutions. Try calling the St. Mary's Animal Welfare League...I'm not sure of their number, but if you call 301.884.3231, the receptionist can give it to you. SMAWL will accept just about any dog/cat and find it a home. Don't worry, SMAWL is legit...
BTW - what kind of dog is it? Why is s/he troubled?

Crabby Old Lady

Knit picking
Crabby, check them out very carefully before you give them your dog. They didn't put a real organization name into their ad.

That's exactly why I decided to post about them, I had tried to do my own research and wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking another .org that may have just started.

SMAWL will accept just about any dog/cat and find it a home. Don't worry, SMAWL is legit...

I am quite familiar with SMAWL but thanks for the advice. At the moment they are in dire need of foster homes. She is Basset that found us back in March. Who had been on her own for a long time after some abusive owner decided they didn't want her and dumped her off in our woods. She is troubled because she has never been housebroken and must have been kept in a crate all day, as she has lost her "clean instinct".

I am usually a doubting person and was glad to get the feed back through this post. Thanks so much all!

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
Yes, you are very correct in being suspicious. The people that collect unwanted pets under the guise of "rescue" and sell them to research institutions are called "bunchers". They usually just respond to "free dog" ads instead of advertising themselves as a rescue.

You can also contact the Animal Relief Fund - they do adoptions every Saturday at the Well Pet Clinic.

Check out this link for Basset rescue. It lists breeders and rescues for bassets, and this should take you directly to the Maryland listings.

http://www.basset-bhca.org/Bhcaweb/dir4.htm#MARYLAND

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a question, since I'm back from a relaxing vacation and feel the need to stir things up a bit:

With all the unwanted pets in the nation, why would we be upset if someone takes them and sells them to a research institution? I mean, if we have to choose between an animal living in a cage at the pound (or even on the streets) or becoming an experiment to test drugs and procedures, which is the lesser of the two evils?

There really should be a regulation or something that prevents people from breeding their pet if they don't want the puppies. But until that happens, why not use unwanted animals for research?

Don't bother to flame me - I'm only asking out of curiousity and because it seems like a decent discussion topic.

jimmy

Drunkard
You bring up a good point Vrai...and one that my logical side can't argue with....

It's just something about the innocent nature of pets that gets me everytime...I just can't stand to think of them being harmed either way and I KNOW it's a reality but I think this is why so many people get upset about this kind of thing...it's not rational, but it's in many people's nature to take up for the innocent.

Plus, they are cute and cute is a huge factor.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I have a question, since I'm back from a relaxing vacation and feel the need to stir things up a bit:

With all the unwanted pets in the nation, why would we be upset if someone takes them and sells them to a research institution?

Don't bother to flame me - I'm only asking out of curiousity and because it seems like a decent discussion topic.

Vraiblonde,

Hope you have had a nice vacation, that old spoon you stir things up with seems to be working fine.

One would think another arena to explore for use of unwanted animals is in food products. With all the varying ethnicities in the US you would think someone out there comes form one of those places where dog is food. Why not provide them a means of getting a good home cooked meal?

Lilly

The Original Lilly
It seems some of us are in rare form this morning . . .

I am stuck on this issue. I DO believe in testing certain products on animals (i.e. meds - not makeup) - but I too have a problem with shipping off cats and dogs. I guess there is just that human factor in these "pet" animals that we notice because most of us live with one or the other or both. I mean - we would probably notice the same traits in rats if we lived with them - but most of us don't so it seems less cruel.

Still - I think pet owners should HAVE to have thier animals fixed unless they are registered breeders. But then again lots don't even take thier pets for shots so many probably wouldn't comply.

Tough issue - and I see Vrai's point - but it still doesn't seem right for some reason . . . .

jimmy

Drunkard
I just can't bring myself to be rational about this when talking about dogs....I just think "puppies" and it's over....But, then again, I have trouble eating peeps so maybe I'm not the best authority on this subject.... :)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I like to explore stuff like this. I, too, find animal experimentation disgusting. When we took our dog to the pound, it never occurred to me to sell him to the scientists - I would have shuddered at the thought. But I DID take him to the pound to be euthanized. Go figure.

Jimmy, by "peeps" are you talking about people or Marshmallow Peeps? Just curious...
:lol:

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
These are my thoughts on Vrai's ponderings...

Animal experimentation IS necessary. We can only hope that it is done as humanely as possible.

However, I think it's horrible that these "bunchers" go out to "adopt" pets and make the previous owners think the dog or cat is going to a good home. The deception factor is what gets me. If I ever had to find homes for an accidental litter, I sure wouldn't want the puppies or kittens to end up as an experiment.