Pet Adoption Getting Out of Hand

B

Bruzilla

Here's my story... my son wants a dog and after much discussion I relented and told him that we could get one. He's looking for a Malamute or a German Shepherd. I told him that we should check out the local animal shelters because these dogs need help the most, and I really don't want to go through another "puppy" stage with a dog.

What I found is that if you go this route, you have two choices: animal shelters or a breed-specific "rescue center" operation. The last time that I adopted a dog was back in 1982, down in Jacksonville, FL, and it was a pretty clear-cut operation. You picked out a dog, payed a $25 fee, and you left with the dog and took it to get altered at the vet. You sure can't do that anymore. Now fees are between $75 and $115, and that's just for the public shelters. The animal rescue operations want $200 and up!!! These are for dogs that have been given up by their owners and are on their way to a pretty certain death, and these people are demanding prices that are just about equal to what you would pay for a dog outright.

On top of that, shelters like the one in PG County insist that you bring in all members of your family, other pets, and that you have "interviews" with counselors. Most of the rescue operations also insist on coming to your home to inspect your living conditions!!! Are we adopting an unwanted dog or a kid? It's hard to tell the difference anymore.

If I didn't want a dog, or didn't think we could care for a dog, I wouldn't be out looking to adopt one. Granted, I think it's a good idea for people to have the consequences of pet ownership explained to them (if they haven't owned a dog before) and the shelter should be able to recoup expenses. But charging as much for a "used" altered dog as you would expect to pay for a puppy, who has papers and is unaltered, is rediculous in my opinion. And I don't even like the census folks creaping around my house asking questions, so why would I want someone from an animal rescue center doing it?

I would really have liked to give a dog that's gotten the short end of the stick from an owner a second chance at a nice life, but between the paperwork, the intrusiveness, and the cost associated with adopting a dog, I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and suffer through a puppy stage again.

B

Bruzilla

I've been checking the SOMD classifieds, there just haven't been any dogs of the type he's looking for on there. I thought we had hit the jackpot when I saw that there was a Malamute adoption group here in Maryland, but when I saw what their requirements for adoption were I said "It ain't worth it."

SxyPrincess

Most rescue organizations and humane society's are nonprofit and get most of their funds through adoptions. They've taken the hassle out of adopting an animal, and having to take it to the vets for shots and neutering/spaying yourself which is a plus!

If the animals weren't fixed, I'm sure a good percentage of irresponsible pet owners would end up with babies.

B

Bruzilla

I have no problem with the requirement to alter an animal. That also keeps breeders from getting dogs as a cheap source of breeding stock. I also don't think that $75 is an unrealistic amount to pay for the adoption and the altering. But $200 plus all of the investigating crap is a bit much.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Bru, $200 is nothing, especially if you are getting the dog from a reputable rescue. These dogs are thoroughly evaluated and vetted. You know exactly what you are getting. Vet care isn't cheap and neither is boarding or foster care for these dogs. Some of the dogs are even sent to trainers to work on bad habits, etc.

I've been involved in rescue. You need to investigate people. It's better that dogs are put down than to be adopted by some of the idiots out here looking for dogs. Better to be safe than sorry.

Kirsten

I say give it more consideration, if it is a one time deal than you are doing well. And most malamutes as a puppy from a very good breeder, not even champ. lines, start at $300, at least thats what they were when I was looking last year, and that doesn't include nearly as much as some rescues.

I always get pound dogs, Shepard mix breeds seem to be the best, I refuse to do purebreds because most breeders have interbred too much on the lines and there are serious issues in most AKC breeds because of it.

Anyhow I would deal with the mild intrusion to get a good dog. Mallies are notorious, along with their cousins the Husky, for being escape artists including climbing fences as high as 6 feet. I have a couple Husky mix dogs as neighbors and they have dug out under a fence, climbed a 4 foot fence and finally my neighbor had to pour a concrete slab 6" thick and put up a heavy gauge 10 foot fence to keep them in.

Really just give them a chance to give you a great dog!
Okay getting off my soapbox

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
The Well Pet Clinic in Lexington Park does Saturday adoptions. Get there early for the best selection. I wouldn't look to these services to save you money. Like you said, it's a great way to give a nice pet another chance.

The Applejack K-9 folks in Mechanicsville used to breed and adopt trained G-Shep's.

Last edited:

Cowgirl

I completely understand why rescue groups do what they do. It is true, however, that some go overboard. Some get so gosh darned picky...they don't realize that dogs are dying while they're finding the unfindable "perfect" owner. BUT, my parents run a rescue (nonprofit) and it's expensive! The dewormer they use costs almost $400 a bottle...and that only takes care of about 15 dogs. Plus, vet visits, transportation costs, and adoption kit supplies add up. I think a home visit is completely logical given the great number of crappy homes there are...especially in SOMD. I don't want to offend anyone...but some people just shove the dog in a kennel or chain it to a tree and think that's a good home. I think there should be some sort of stipulations for people to be able to own pets....I mean...it gets pretty bad sometimes. The rescue groups just want to make sure they rescue the dog and place it right back in a bad home. If you can't go thru the adoption process, can you really handle owning a dog for the rest of its life? I hate it when people get a pet and then think it's disposable. They get new furniture and have to declaw their cat because they don't want to ruin the furniture....or they're moving and don't feel like going thru the trouble of finding pet-friendly housing. It drives me crazy. If you have a child, you can't get rid of it because it has accidents or you don't have time for it. People should think about if they really want to take care of a pet for the rest of its life. Anyway, that's just my opinion. :bubble:

SxyPrincess

:clap: Cowgirl!

IMO- if someone doesn't want to come off the initial adoption fee, whether it be $50 or $300, chances are they may not want to keep their pet healthy.

Animals require check-ups just like their owners, and every day treatments for fleas, ticks, heartworm, etc. can get expensive.

F

Frostillicus

Originally posted by Cowgirl
I think a home visit is completely logical given the great number of crappy homes there are...especially in SOMD. I don't want to offend anyone...but some people just shove the dog in a kennel or chain it to a tree and think that's a good home.
It's because of all the ####ing SMIBs down here.

F

Frostillicus

Wouldn't logic dictate that the cleaner the home is, the more likely the pet is to end up chained outside? ####ing SMIBs.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
It's been a while since I adopted an animal from there but what about the Tri-County Animal Shelter in Hughesville? Don't they still have the simple, basic adoption process where you pay the fee, sign a contract that you'll get them fixed and that's it.

The last animal we got was from the Frederick Animal Shelter. We had to undergo a short interview where basically, they wanted to make sure we weren't deluding ourselves and that dog food and vets cost money and dogs need attention. That dog was already fixed, so it didn't cost as much to adopt.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by cariblue
And for the record, I had my cat declawed because he was aggressive. He never touched the furniture.

Interesting Cari. And the cat didn't resort to biting? Usually, declawing a cat makes them aggressive and biters. Guess there's exceptions to the rule.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by cmcdanal
It's been a while since I adopted an animal from there but what about the Tri-County Animal Shelter in Hughesville?

Nope. Dog is neutered/spayed and completely vetted BEFORE you pick it up.

Cowgirl

I wouldn't define a home as good or bad by whether it's clean or not. A house could be immaculate but they could be bad pet owners. Like you said, a house could be a little messy and the owners be great pet owners. Home visits are not for the adoption people to come see if people vacumn or not...it's to see whether or not they are obviously overrun with other pets, or if they've got the proper facilities if need be (some pets need certain things), etc. I also never said that home visits had to be done...I said that I understand why they were done. Also, you don't have to get defensive about why you had your cat declawed.....I used the example of the furniture because I have heard people say that before...and I think it's a bad excuse to have the cat declawed.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by cattitude
Nope. Dog is neutered/spayed and completely vetted BEFORE you pick it up.

:confused: By that, do you mean it costs more? It can't be anymore than requiring the animal be fixed, since any vet worth anything would insist on a check up and shots before or at the time of the spay/neuter.

Do they make you jump through hoops? I mean require home inspections, extensive interviews etc.?

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by cattitude
Interesting Cari. And the cat didn't resort to biting? Usually, declawing a cat makes them aggressive and biters. Guess there's exceptions to the rule.
My Stepmom was given a cat by an ex of hers. After they broke up, she moved back with her parents before finding her own apartment. Her Mom said she could keep the cat, but only if she got it declawed.

My Stepmom still has the cat today, and she is the most adorable, loving kitty. She's never bitten me, other than when I was playing with her, but even then it was a love nip. :biggrin: