Seabiscuit

watercolor

yeah yeah
I have been kinda interested in going to see this movie. :smile:

On December 31, 1938, Americans were treated to a special year in review from gossip columnist Walter Winchell. According to Winchell, the year’s top 10 newsmakers included Adolph Hitler, Franklin Roosevelt and Neville Chamberlain. Standing tall in slot number 10 was a rather unusual headliner – a stocky little racehorse named Seabiscuit. Seabiscuit was an underdog from the moment he was born. Though descended from one of America’s finest thoroughbred families, Seabiscuit was short-legged, knobby-kneed, cantankerous choice for a prize-winning racehorse. Transformed by a dedicated trainer, two jockeys and a San Francisco auto tycoon, Seabiscuit became a popular hero and one of the decade’s most charismatic celebrities.

Below are just a few of the moments that defined the life and career of America’s greatest equestrian legend:

Derby Dudes
No one thought much of Seabiscuit when this article was printed just prior to the Kentucky Derby in 1936. Less than six months later, Seabiscuit was sold for a song to San Francisco businessman Charles Howard and his racing-savvy wife Marcela.

The Helena Independent April 28, 1936
“While Seabiscuit disappointed in running third behind Golden Eye in the Bergen Handicap … the little son of Hard Tack is ready for the Kentucky Derby on May 2. It is doubtful that Seabiscuit can carry weight, however …” View full account

Seabiscuit Now Leading Winner
It didn't take long for Seabiscuit to become a headliner. With his 1937 win at Riggs, Maryland, Seabiscuit surpassed his rival, War Admiral, as the top money-winning racehorse in the nation.

The Chronicle Telegram November 6, 1937
"Charles S. Howard's Seabiscuit today had regained the season's money-winning leadership by capturing the Rigg's Handicap and its purse of $10,025 … Seabiscuit led Shandon Farm's Burning Star to the wire by a neck in a driving finish at the end of the mile and three-sixteenths of the Riggs in track record time." View full account

Admiral to Gallop Through
Still smarting from Seabiscuit's headline-stealing success, the owners of War Admiral challenged Seabiscuit to a one-on-one match race. Though California's "Biscuit" was the sentimental favorite, most bets were on the Eastern-bred War Admiral. Even notable sports columnist Henry McLemore thought he'd picked the winner.

Charleston Daily Mail November 1, 1938
"… thanks to my tremendous labors, which included daybreak visits to the track and secret clockings … I definitely have the winner. I am going to give you the finish in one-two order. Here it is …" View full account

Seabiscuit Outruns War Admiral
More than 40 million radio listeners tuned in for the November 1 match race between Seabiscuit and War Admiral. Billed as a contest between East and West, even President Franklin D. Roosevelt postponed a press conference to listen to the broadcast.

Nevada State Journal Wednesday, Nov. 2, 1938
"When Seabiscuit thundered past the stands, running like a wild thing, the crowd … tendered him an ear-splitting salute." View full account

Seabiscuit Sets Track Record to Take Handicap
His career far from over, Seabiscuit was given one more shot at the Santa Anita Handicap. Despite two previous losses at Santa Anita, Seabiscuit (reunited with jockey Red Pollard) easily won the race, clocking the fastest time in Santa Anita’s history. It was also the second-fastest run in American racing history.

The Charleston Daily Mail March 3, 1940
"Seabiscuit gave his name to the ages today … the crippled little castoff that once could have been bought for $2,500 ran to victory in the $100,000 Santa Anita Handicap and supplanted Sun Beau as the greatest money-winning horse of all time." View full account

Actual Link

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by giggles04
It does look like a good movie now doesn't it!

Yea. And the more and more that I see of the commercials on tv.. I want to see it in the theatre. I was going to wait.. but this looks like it should be watched in the theatre.

Athena1078

Social Director
Originally posted by watercolor23
Yea. And the more and more that I see of the commercials on tv.. I want to see it in the theatre. I was going to wait.. but this looks like it should be watched in the theatre.
Ia m with you on that one.. I am going to see it one afternoon this week, I'll let ya know how it is

TWLs wife

Seabiscuit was the American dream come true

American dream come true. It tell's you to never give up. If we all give up,What dreams would we have. Do you remeber Peter , Paul & Mary, There song Stew ball it was based on the true story of Seabiscuit. If you have a dream I would see This Movie.:thewave: :patriot: :yeahthat: