St Jerome Creek--sailboat aground

ski357

Someone aground aboard a 20' sailboat, stuck on a sandbar in the bay, north of St. Jerome Creek. Ridge VFD dispatched Boat 4. Coast Guard advising boat be evaced and a commerical tow be called in. Sea Tow in Solomons being called--who goes out at 3 AM in March?

B

Bronwyn

I used to hear that stuff over the marine radio all the time at night. You would be surprised how many boats are in the bay all night, sailing to and from Baltimore etc.

shilo

We have them in here now (Buzz's Marina). They are fine. We should have them back out soon after a small repair. They were trying to get into the creek before they got hung up, it just got rough on them. Stuff happens, you know? They are nice guys, from Georgia I think.

bohman

Did they actually come all the way from Georgia in a 20' boat? Or are they just visiting the area, and took a boat out for a sail? That's a small boat for long-distance travel (not that it hasn't been done before).

shilo

They didn't come up from Georgia. They were sailing locally trying to take the boat somewhere but I don't know exactly where. My husband talked more to them than I did. I try not to embarrass people too much when this kind of stuff happens. I just make them coffee, see what else they need and try to help them get on their way. In this case they decided not to sail anymore and we took them to Lexington Park to a car rental place. They are coming back later for the boat.