Michael Steele

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Because she plays an instrument and can walk like an Egyptian. Much better than our current Lt. Gov, if you ask me!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah, if I REALLY wanted to be someone evil and wicked I'd put up a pic of Kathleen Kennedy Townsend!
:lmao:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Yeah, if I REALLY wanted to be someone evil and wicked I'd put up a pic of Kathleen Kennedy Townsend!
:lmao:

Eeeewwww...I'm begging ya, don't do that...

demsformd

Michael Steele is a typical uncle Tom who is a sell-out to his race. On all the issues, he breaks from the African-American position. He is much like Clarence Thomas. I feel that Mr. Steele acts conservative merely to fit into the affluent circle in Maryland. He has forgotten his roots. The GOP is not the party of Lincoln anymore. It is the party of segregationists, Christian conservatives, and bigots. Putting a black on a Republican ticket is much akin to putting a Jew on the Nazi ticket.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Uncle Tom + sell-out + African-American roots = pulling the race card.

"The GOP is the party of segregationists, Christian conservatives, and bigots."

Pot/Kettle???

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So what you're saying, Dems, is that if black people don't all think alike then there's something wrong with them? Any black person who has an opinion that's different from Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson is an Uncle Tom? How much more racist can you be?

I suppose you also think that a black person who likes steak instead of fried chicken, peaches instead of watermelon, and rock instead of Negro spirituals is a sell-out to their race, too?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
So what you're saying, Dems, is that if black people don't all think alike then there's something wrong with them? Any black person who has an opinion that's different from Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson is an Uncle Tom? How much more racist can you be?...
Democrats are the "Party of Racism". Otherwise why would they insist on making minorities so dependant on handouts and set asides instead of education and opportunity. Or seek to divide the races at every election cycle.

It keeps them in their pockets.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I guess I just didn't realize how racist they were. During the Clarence Thomas hearings, I was appalled at some of the comments Dems (and black Dems in particular) were saying about him. I thought maybe it was something the media was making up - surely no one in modern America really thought anymore that an educated, forward-thinking black man better "know his place". But here's Dems to say that it's still alive and well!

demsformd

What do you think Bob Ehrlich is doing by putting Steele on the ticket? He's pulling the race card. He opened that can of beans not me or any other Democrat.
How the hell can someone suggest that the Democratic Party is racist? For decades the national Democrartic Party endorsed desegregation, compassion for the less fortunate, and acceptance of other races. I say acceptance of other races, not tolerance. Meanwhile Republicans have sat on their hands and opposed desegregation because it was a "state's rights" and today oppose every single initiative that will aid black people in moving forward.
And to suggest that I am racist is far wrong. Do you know why? I'm black! I know Mr. Steele and he has forgotten his roots. Democratic policies helped him to get on his feet when he was young but today he has renounced those principles, sold out, and become and uncle tom.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
surely no one in modern America really thought anymore that an educated, forward-thinking black man better "know his place".

We've come a long way since the days of Jim Crow, but there is still racism out there.

I lived in Wildewood for a short time, and a few of my neighbors said that they had moved there because they thought Wildewood was "restricted." (As an aside, I moved out partly because my condo couldn't hold its value. I later found out that condos never hold their property value. Doh!)

During the Clarence Thomas hearings, I was appalled at some of the comments Dems (and black Dems in particular) were saying about him.

Even though I disagree with some (not all) of Thomas' views, I think the treatment of him during the hearings was embarrassing. I wanted to see a real debate on affirmative action. Does it help fight racism or perpetuate it? Instead, the hearings became a bitter partisan battle over Thomas' personality, not his beliefs.

Here's why I think many black Democrats are so hostile to Clarence Thomas. They perceive him as someone who was helped by affirmative action. (I don't know if this is accurate, BTW). So they think he's being a hypocrite by opposing affirmative action.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What do you think Bob Ehrlich is doing by putting Steele on the ticket? He's pulling the race card. He opened that can of beans not me or any other Democrat.
So what you're saying is that the only reason someone would choose a black man as a running mate is because they're playing the race card? Not because the man has any merit or anything - he's a black guy so it must be a "token" thing, right?

How the hell can someone suggest that the Democratic Party is racist? For decades the national Democrartic Party endorsed desegregation, compassion for the less fortunate, and acceptance of other races.
Really? I always thought it was a Democrat who barred the way and called in the National Guard rather than let black kids into a public school in Little Rock. I also thought it was a Democrat Governor who personally barred the way to prevent two black kids from registering at the University of Alabama. And I also thought it was a Democrat Governor who threatened blacks with a pick handle and gun when they tried to eat at his restaurant in Atlanta. Hmmm...I'm gonna have to have a talk with my high school history teacher...

And to suggest that I am racist is far wrong. Do you know why? I'm black!
So you're saying that black people can't be racist? That's very interesting...I did not know that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And another thing - you wanna talk about an Uncle Tom? That would be any black person who sells himself into slavery to the Democrat massas.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Really? I always thought it was a Democrat who barred the way and called in the National Guard rather than let black kids into a public school in Little Rock. I also thought it was a Democrat Governor who personally barred the way to prevent two black kids from registering at the University of Alabama. And I also thought it was a Democrat Governor who threatened blacks with a pick handle and gun when they tried to eat at his restaurant in Atlanta. Hmmm...I'm gonna have to have a talk with my high school history teacher... [/B]

You're right up to a point, vrai. Let me see if I can fill in the blanks.

For a long time after the Civil War, the Southern wing of the Democrat party was very racist. White voters in the South were strongly Democratic because of lingering resentment against Lincoln. Black voters were just as strongly Republican because of their gratitude toward Lincoln. (This was mostly in the North because Jim Crow laws prevented most Southern blacks from voting.)

Blacks began switching their allegiance to the Democrats because the New Deal had some civil rights provisions. Civil rights was the issue that split the Democratic Party in the last half of the 20th century. In 1948, the party included a civil rights platform for the first time. So the Southerners fielded their own candidate, Strom Thurmond who ran a very racist campaign.

As the civil rights movement progressed in the 1960s, white Southerners (and some white Northerners) bolted from the Democratic Party in large numbers. While much of this was due to race, the increasing power of liberals within the party was also a factor.

In 1968 George Wallace, the old segregationist, ran as an independent and did very well in many Northern states. So Richard Nixon pioneered the "Southern strategy," appealing to race while not mentioning it specifically. He used terms like "welfare queen" and played to whites' fears about crime.

By the time Ronald Reagan ran on similar themes in 1980 (while keeping his main focus on strengthening the military), the South was firmly Republican territory. In the '70s and '80s, a lot of prominent Democratic lawmakers in the South switched parties, Thurmond among them. This wasn't only due to race, of course. Part of it was the rise of Christian conservatism in the South.

I believe that both white racists and black racists read whatever they want to read in the parties' political messages. Demagogues in both parties, as well as people outside the parties like Buchanan and Sharpton, tailor their messages to appeal to that hatred.

demsformd

[So you're saying that black people can't be racist? That's very interesting...I did not know that. [/B][/QUOTE]

I am not saying blacks can't be racist. I was referring to your statement that all Democrats were racists. Yes there are blacks that are racist. I don't appreciate the arrogance you expressed in your reply. You mame are quite an example of conservative Republicanism.
Another statement by another conservative said that blacks were more bigoted than whites. That is so general and negative that it sounds like the statement of a 1960s segregationist, not a woman living in today's modern world. I remember sitting in a seat in Alabama during the 60s and being called a "no-good ******." How the hell can you say that blacks are more bigoted? We didn't segregate or enslave or oppress as the white aristocracy did. Yes steps are being taken to cool race relations but statements such as saying blacks are more bigoted do not further the cause.
My point is this: Mr. Steele does not effectively represent the black community because he opposes increased education funding, affirmative action, and efforts to help less fortunate blacks get on their feet. Mr. Ehrlich is playing the race card: do not be naive enough to think otherwise. As a college graduate with a degree in Political Science I understand what he is doing because I was taught how to successfully run campaigns over 20 years ago. Blacks are a major part of the electorate and last election Governor Glenndenning took over 90 percent of the group's vote. Mr. Ehrlich understands that he has to cut back black support for Democrats or he will lose.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You mame are quite an example of conservative Republicanism.
Not really - if you read some of my other posts, I'm not a very good representative for the right-wingers. However I (unlike, let's say, you) do not care to stereotype and pigeonhole people and do things like lump them together because of their skin color.

That phrase drives me crazy: representing the black community. You used that in your last post. Who exactly is the "black community"?

Is it you, Al Sharpton and some gang-banger kid who'll die in a drug war before he's 20? Is it some drunken broad with a passel of children from different relationships who's complaining that her welfare checks aren't going up at the same rate her offspring are?

Or is it my neighbors and friends who are well educated and have great jobs, are raising their children in a two-parent household and are not "underprivileged" by any stretch of the imagination? Is it my son's friends who are off to college or in the military, deciding to forgo impregnating their girlfriend until she's his wife and they can afford to properly raise children?

Again, there you go with that racial "lumping skin colors together". MLK said he wanted his children to be judged by the content of their character, not the color of their skin. That's a great idea for people of ANY color. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I remember sitting in a seat in Alabama during the 60s and being called a "no-good ******."
The 60's are over, pal. Move on. Have you been called a no-good ****** in the last 10 or 20 years? Outside of your own mind, that is? Didn't think so. PS, in case you hadn't heard, the North won the war and we don't hold slaves in this country, either.

Yes steps are being taken to cool race relations but statements such as saying blacks are more bigoted do not further the cause.
Nor do statements that "so-and-so isn't a real black because he's successful, healthy and happy."

Blacks are a major part of the electorate
Not really. Blacks only make up about 12% of the population in this country. Explain to me how that's a majority?

If you want to be enslaved by the Democrats notion that blacks are too stupid to get an education, feed and shelter themselves or raise their children, that's your bag. But I'm not buying it. Sorry.

Clarence Thomas came out of extreme poverty - he went to live with his grandfather when he was a kid because his mother couldn't take care of him and his sister. The grandfather made him work hard and taught him to respect himself and today he's one of the most powerful men in this country. That should be considered an accomplishment, not "Uncle Tom-ism". It's not like Bush just grabbed Thomas out of the ghetto at random to be a token black on the Supreme Court - Thomas earned that nomination and he was extremely qualified for it.

The problem with black men and women who rise to greatness is that it's puts the lie to America "holding back" the black man. It shines a light in the faces of these ne'er do wells in the gutter who cry that the white man is keeping them down. Makes thim think that they might be keeping themselves down - and that's an uncomfortable feeling.

So rather than say, "This man is an inspiration and a great role model" they say, "He's an Uncle Tom and a toady to the whites." Because it's easy to lay on your butt smoking crack and procreating and hard to actually get up and go to work or get an education. Maxine Waters is more their style because she tells them what they want to hear - it's not your fault, it's the fault of the white men who kept you down and you are owed a living from them. But the minute a black man has a positive message, he's disregarded.

So, again - Democrats are nothing better than slavemasters.