easter egg help!!

starlight_20606

this year my little ones wants to dye eggs instead of the plastic ones for the bunny to hide..need some help,on how long to cook them so they wont crack. I always seem to cook and they crack..so any information would be great thanks and happy easter to all of somd!!!!!

I think you boil the eggs for three minutes, turn off the burner and let them sit for 20 minutes. A trick to tell if they're done is to spin the egg on the counter and if it spins fast it's done, if it wobbles it's not. Try spinning an egg before you boil it to see what I mean. Good luck starlight :smile:

KWAK

I put my eggs in a pot with enough water to cover on the stove on medium high heat and then set the timer for 30 minutes (this includes boiling time). I've made so many eggs this year - all have been perfect! When the timer goes off - you MUST remove them from the hot water!

Oh and after you know they're done, make sure to take them out of the hot water immediately and run cold water over them so they stop cooking and won't crack.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
It helps if the eggs are room temperature before you put them into boiling water. Also, if you're going to eat them, older eggs peel better than fresher eggs.

I put the eggs in the water while the water is still cold, then bring it to a soft rolling boil and start timing. That way the cold eggs don't crack from dropping them into the hot water. 5 minutes at boil, then sit for 10 in the water.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I put the eggs in the water while the water is still cold, then bring it to a soft rolling boil and start timing. That way the cold eggs don't crack from dropping them into the hot water. 5 minutes at boil, then sit for 10 in the water.

:yeahthat:

Only I don't let them sit in the water. I just toss them back in a carton and let them cool before putting them in the fridge.

Cowgirl

I put my eggs in a pot with enough water to cover on the stove on medium high heat and then set the timer for 30 minutes (this includes boiling time). I've made so many eggs this year - all have been perfect! When the timer goes off - you MUST remove them from the hot water!

Holy crap!! 30 minutes?! I only boil mine for about 5 minutes, then take them out of the water and let them cool. We eat ours, so I don't like to boil them too long or the yolk turns greenish. :dead:

KWAK

Holy crap!! 30 minutes?! I only boil mine for about 5 minutes, then take them out of the water and let them cool. We eat ours, so I don't like to boil them too long or the yolk turns greenish. :dead:

It takes at least 10 minutes to get the water to a boil - so technically that doesn't count! Even when making deviled eggs I cook them like this - and I've never had greenish yolks! Guess I just like to make sure they're cooked all the way!

Last edited by a moderator:

belvak

Happy Camper

:high5: Ditto!!

Cowgirl

It takes at least 10 minutes to get the water to a boil - so technically that doesn't count! Even when making deviled eggs I cook them like this - and I've never had greenish yolks! Guess I just like to make sure they're cooked all the way!

That sounds better. :lol: I thought you meant 30 min of boiling!

KWAK

That sounds better. :lol: I thought you meant 30 min of boiling!

I googled it - and it does like the majority of people boil them heavy for a short time then let them sit in the water for a bit! I've never tried it that way - or heard of it even! This was just the way I knew to cook them! I may try that next time! Guess this is what I learned today. . .

I cook mine the same way. But after I take them off of the burner I dump the hot water and soak then in cold water for about five minutes.

Before I dye them I will also take a white crayon and draw on them or write my family's first names on the shell because the dye will not stick to it.