Buyers Beware!!!!

M

Mousebaby

I had my tank water perfect with the ph balance and nitrates and all that stuff and I go and buy 3 fish from Petco and it throws my nitrates so far off that they are reading off the charts! I am PISSED beyond repair!! I have spent so much time and energy in the past 3 weeks to get this water right only to have their friggen water make my tank nasty again!!! :burning:

DO NOT BUY THEIR FISH AND EXPECT YOURS TO LIVE AFTER YOU DUMP THEIRS IN YOUR TANK!

:banghead:

That is all, thanks for listening!

tommyjones

I had my tank water perfect with the ph balance and nitrates and all that stuff and I go and buy 3 fish from Petco and it throws my nitrates so far off that they are reading off the charts! I am PISSED beyond repair!! I have spent so much time and energy in the past 3 weeks to get this water right only to have their friggen water make my tank nasty again!!! :burning:

DO NOT BUY THEIR FISH AND EXPECT YOURS TO LIVE AFTER YOU DUMP THEIRS IN YOUR TANK!

Thats why i never put the water from any other tank in mine.....

and usually when i do add fish i put in a little "quick cure" to kill any nastyness they might bring with them.

but nitrates are from the fish poo, aint they?

M

Mousebaby

Well, I'm new at this and I did pour 95% of the water down the drain. That's what scares the crap out of me! What if I had dumped all of it in there??? I did a 70% water change just now and added every chemical known to fishdom in there including Nitraban and its still reading really high! :faint: This is unfriggenbelievable! Does anyone know of a quick fix??? HELP MY FISHIE'S!!! :bawl:

:lol:

M

Mousebaby

Thats why i never put the water from any other tank in mine.....

and usually when i do add fish i put in a little "quick cure" to kill any nastyness they might bring with them.

but nitrates are from the fish poo, aint they?

Yes they are from poo and other rotting matter in the tank. :twitch:

mtordie

Unless your tank is 5 gallons dumping in a few ounces of water is not going to make nitrates in a reseanabley large tank go up. Nitrates are a response to an increased load into your tank. AKA the fish. The will settle down in a couple days by themselves.

M

Mousebaby

Unless your tank is 5 gallons dumping in a few ounces of water is not going to make nitrates in a reseanabley large tank go up. Nitrates are a response to an increased load into your tank. AKA the fish. The will settle down in a couple days by themselves.

My tank is 5 gallons, so I guess that's why the nitrates are out of sight! By the time the nitrates decide to settle down my fish will be dead :ohwell:

tommyjones

My tank is 5 gallons, so I guess that's why the nitrates are out of sight! By the time the nitrates decide to settle down my fish will be dead :ohwell:

the general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't have any more than 1 inch of fish for every gallon of water in your tank. I am guessing you are just way over stocked........

M

Mousebaby

the general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't have any more than 1 inch of fish for every gallon of water in your tank. I am guessing you are just way over stocked........

No, not overstocked, as I said before, my water was perfect. I dumped theirs in and then dipsticked it and it came up over the top. It had to be their water. I know now not to put their water in. I had no idea and truthfully didn't even think about it causing a problem with my water because you expect a fish/pet store to have their tanks clean and balanced. I guess I was wrong. :shrug:

tommyjones

No, not overstocked, as I said before, my water was perfect. I dumped theirs in and then dipsticked it and it came up over the top. It had to be their water. I know now not to put their water in. I had no idea and truthfully didn't even think about it causing a problem with my water because you expect a fish/pet store to have their tanks clean and balanced. I guess I was wrong. :shrug:

and how many fish did you have in their beofre you put these 3 in?

M

Mousebaby

You need to read up on how the natural bacterial action affects the balance in your tank. You quadrupled the waste load in a very short time.

Next time, don't add fish so quickly.

Ok, I am a novice at this fish thing. I appreciate the advice. Everything seems to be balancing out now. So we are good. The catfish is doing his job and my Guppies are happy little swimmers. Water is perfectly clear and nitrates are stable again. We're good! :yay:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Ok, I am a novice at this fish thing. I appreciate the advice. Everything seems to be balancing out now. So we are good. The catfish is doing his job and my Guppies are happy little swimmers. Water is perfectly clear and nitrates are stable again. We're good! :yay:

:yay: Sounds like the bacteria adjusted to the increased load and now they're eating all the nasty stuff.

jetmonkey

Catfish do not eat turds.

morningbell

hmmmmmm

I have always had luck with Corner Critters fish, all my Petco Fish die. :dead:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Did you follow the directions for acclimating your fish to the tank??

You pour water from your tank into the bag they came in.. a little at a time, over a good amount of time, while floating the bad in the tank..

When you are done acclimating you should dispose of ALL the water in the bag, then release your fish into your tank.

If it's a new tank and you are putting fish into it for the first time, it's going to be chemically/ biologically out of whach for a few weeks until the tank ages, and the bacteria grows.

Usually with a new tank you buy "aging"g fish, to age the tank, and than after they die (due to the screwy levels the first few weeks) you tank has been aged, and you can buy the fish you want.

Guppies on the other hand.. will never die, and you just wasted a lot of money on unnecessary chemicals to get your tank perfect.