In these economically tough times...

Hessian

I am trying to think of where the "Deals" can be made.

I met a General contractor today that told me the phone has been silent for months...Does that convert into low/reasonable bids for work?

I looked through a classified-ads listing on used trailers: WOW: prices have generally collapsed....(do I need another bedroom and 3x5 bathroom?)

Estate sales...I assume with more forclosures: there would be more estate sales, right?

Boats?...(Haven't shopped for one)

SO....this thread is meant to explore the issue of "What kind of bargains can you scoop up in a recession?"

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I am trying to think of where the "Deals" can be made.

I met a General contractor today that told me the phone has been silent for months...Does that convert into low/reasonable bids for work?

I looked through a classified-ads listing on used trailers: WOW: prices have generally collapsed....(do I need another bedroom and 3x5 bathroom?)

Estate sales...I assume with more forclosures: there would be more estate sales, right?

Boats?...(Haven't shopped for one)

SO....this thread is meant to explore the issue of "What kind of bargains can you scoop up in a recession?"

I saw a couple of ads down here in Texas with people selling their horses cheap in order to pay their taxes on time. Sad...

craberta

The misfortune of some can become a blessing for others. There are alot of good deals out there for sure. In stores and in the clasifieds. I told my hubs that we will donate more this year. Especially to charities that are willing to help every and anyone.

Hessian

Thanks Craberta..

I can 100% guarrantee that your assistance to Charities will be more wisely spent than my tax dollars...
It sickens me to hear politicians demanding the government do more. Once again: people do NOT understand the Constitution in its original form. The Grandchildren of the New Deal are bleating sheep.

Saw another possible area of bargains: postings of tax delinqency in the papers. NOW, I do not subscribe to either of the local papers: Does anyone know of a website that posts county-by-county tax deliquent properties?
Date of sales/auctions of those properties?

johnjrval424

I can 100% guarrantee that your assistance to Charities will be more wisely spent than my tax dollars...
It sickens me to hear politicians demanding the government do more. Once again: people do NOT understand the Constitution in its original form. The Grandchildren of the New Deal are bleating sheep.

Saw another possible area of bargains: postings of tax delinqency in the papers. NOW, I do not subscribe to either of the local papers: Does anyone know of a website that posts county-by-county tax deliquent properties?
Date of sales/auctions of those properties?

You have to go to each county's website to see the listings. Here's Calvert's link: WebForm2

Hessian

Thanks John...

I suppose that list will grow,...any SOMDER ever bought property from a Tax Auction??? How did it go?

I am tempted to try it in more depressed areas where the deals may even be sweeter: I would simply want to hold on to it for a few years until the cloud passes.

Hessian

16 miles of Calvert roads:

6 fishing boats & bay-cruisers for sale..hmmm.

I suppose we shall be seeing a lot of travel trailers and mobile homes too!

Pandora

^If that gas pump is the old style, it is useless (unless somebody likes that sort of thing for decoration) since it only goes to $3.99. Most gas stations with those pumps will go out of business if gas goes over $4.00 a gallon and they cannot afford to replace them with the newer digital pumps.

I've been decorating my house and finding huge bargains on ebay. I love Partylite items and have basically stolen these items from desperate sellers, and most of what I have purchased has been new and in the box. My friends and family on my Christmas list are going to be very pleased, because we've also found beautiful fabric fats on ebay for quilts, dirt cheap.

Hessian

Classifieds up in NY

28 ft tandem trailer: Fully loaded, 14 years old, New awning.
less than $5000.

All I need is 8 cinder blocks and I have a well equipped cabin for my land.

I heard that 40% of all chevy truck owners who have tried a trade in with their two year old vehicles got turned away because what they were offered didn't match what they had already paid off from their nearly new trucks.

Drill Now, Drill Here, Pay less.

ImnoMensa

I doubt you will find many bargains in getting any construction done.

The prices of building materials hasnt gone down and the carpenters and plumbers cant work for a whole lot less they still need to pay their bills too.

When it comes to construction the deal here is, now you can probably find someone to do small jobs, where before they didnt even call you back.

My experience with tax sales is that about 90% of those owing taxes pay them the day before the auction. I believe if you do buy a property at tax auction the original owner still has a set time to pay you and get his land back. I could be wrong there.