Fatal Accident this morning on LaPlata Rd.

OldHillcrestGuy

At about 8am, LaPlata Rd area of Kerrick Drive car into pole, male occupant pronounced (DOA) on the scene.
If I get more details I'll post more info later today.

sux2b44

I heart CLeValley
:shocking: My prayers to the family. But what the heck is going on in this place lately??? There have been numerous accidents resulting in deaths. I have lived in this area for 25 years and I have never heard of so many accidents as I have in the last few weeks.

OldHillcrestGuy

I stand corrected it was a 18 year old female, thats what I thought I heard when the accident was happening, but later heard it was a male.
MSP reports it was narcotics, alcohol, speed and rain contributing to the accident.
Baynet has it on their website and since they have released her name thats the only reason that Im posting it. She was Rachel Johnsen 18 from LaPlata.

SHAR1222

La Plata Girl Dies in Crash

Sunday, at approximately 8 a.m., La Plata Barrack EMS and Troopers responded to a fatal car crash on La Plata Road.

Rachel Ellen Johnsen, 18, of La Plata, Md., was pronounced deceased on the scene by medical personnel, according to authorities.

Johnsen was traveling westbound at the above location when she collided with a Verizon telephone pole and a tree. Authorities say the driver failed to stay within the single lane, and traveled off the roadway.

The crash is still under investigation by Trooper Ford and the Maryland State Police.

I

Inkpen

8 am???? Drug, alcohol????

(shaking head...)

I just dont get it...
18..now dead...
I feel so sorry for the family and the friends..
and of course, all the warning will come out..and then be ignored...until another teen dies...
I guess there will never be an answer to reducing teens deaths on the highways...

So very, very sad. ...............

Prayers for the family...

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
I know this family, Lee is a good man. Son had leukemia (sp?) His wife Sharon is the teacher and a sweetheart. They live on Penns Hill Road. She was coming back from an overnight at a friend's house.

My prayers to them both. Two outta three children have died. Oldest is about 24/25 my guess. Luv you Lee & Sharon, our prayers are with you.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Sunday, at approximately 8 a.m., La Plata Barrack EMS and Troopers responded to a fatal car crash on La Plata Road.

Rachel Ellen Johnsen, 18, of La Plata, Md., was pronounced deceased on the scene by medical personnel, according to authorities.

Johnsen was traveling westbound at the above location when she collided with a Verizon telephone pole and a tree. Authorities say the driver failed to stay within the single lane, and traveled off the roadway.

The crash is still under investigation by Trooper Ford and the Maryland State Police.
That's horrible.

Curiousity led me to do a quick MySpace search. What a sad story, she was waiting, hoping her b/f would propose to her. Needless to say that will not happen.

Once more, another senseless tragedy in the roads of Charles County. When will it end? :banghead:

MissinThatSmile

One Day at a Time
I knew her and her family and we are all pretty much in disbelief. This is the fourth person i have knew to die in Charles County within the last couple of years. It is sad. My friend lauren latham died 5.25.05 on her way to school. She knew both Chad and Rachel. Now The Johnsen's have their oldest son left alive. I can't even imagine the agony they are going through right now!

Rest In Peace Chad and Rachel Johnsen.

hmmm... second kid to snap a telephone pole in a 72 hour period... one was done in Hughesville off of 232 just west of SMECO. He was lucky (sounds like it) was conscious but not coherent, I think he was flown because he did not know what day it was or his birthday...

When the weather gets nice this is when it starts to happen.

The kids speed or get distracted very easily with a cell phone or the radio... It is sad yes, and my heart truly breaks for the parents - I personally can attest to this... ...But when are the kids going to learn from the others who died before them?

Is this yet again another instance of "it can't happen to me" syndrome?

Last edited:
Sadly, their oldest and last child, Kyle Johnsen passed on Tuesday at age 27.

Chad Johnsen passed from leukemia at age 12 in 1988
Rachel Johnsen passed from a car accident at age 18 in 2008

I can't stop thinking about this family. Prayers sent...

Yes, it's so terribly sad. I cried when I heard the news. I cannot imagine.

p.s. Chad died in 1998, not 1988.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
OMG I don't even know these people and my heart is breaking for them. May the love and support of their family, friends and community comfort them.

atrusomder

Isaiah 55:8-9
OMG I don't even know these people and my heart is breaking for them. May the love and support of their family, friends and community comfort them.

That is awful... such a terrible shame to see these young children dying before their lives begin.

Did Kyle pass in a auto accident too?

Prayers to this family...