St Mary's can't find teachers?

foodcritic

Anyone else see this ridiculous story!!! You mean to tell me we can'f find teachers in the US to fill the demanding "teacher" roles of St Mary's? The BOE is waisting tax payer money on this for sure. I am glad I homeschool....

St. Mary’s turns to Jamaica to help recruit new teachers
Qualified minority applicants for math, science sought
Friday, April 11, 2008
By JESSE YEATMAN

Staff writer

In an effort to find teachers for hard-to-fill positions, St. Mary’s public school system is extending its search outside of the country’s borders

PG County, sure - but St. Mary's county :confused:

Well - there you have it St. Mary's County, you are officially going to Sh!t if this pans out...

Anyone else see this ridiculous story!!! You mean to tell me we can'f find teachers in the US to fill the demanding "teacher" roles of St Mary's? The BOE is waisting tax payer money on this for sure. I am glad I homeschool....

Friday, April 11, 2008
By JESSE YEATMAN

Staff writer

In an effort to find teachers for hard-to-fill positions, St. Mary’s public school system is extending its search outside of the country’s borders

sunman1_67

PG County, sure - but St. Mary's county :confused:

Well - there you have it St. Mary's County, you are officially going to Sh!t if this pans out...

Couldn't agree more. With the current Presidential election, nothing surprises me anymore. Not only the county turning to chit, but the country.

sunman1_67

I had friends who teached and said that St. Marys doesn't pay well and went to teach in Calvert county

How about the commissioner's raising the teacher's pay to be competitive? How much did the trip to Jamaica cost? How much is the trip to the Philippines going to cost the tax payers? Wasting money is what the commissioners are good at instead of putting the money where it needs to go! They will use their appropriation excuse time and time again until we're all blue in the face. WE as people need to change these appropriation laws and get the children new schools and NOT Wildewood Condos! New roads anyone?

Did we forget this country is ran by the people, for the people?

Do we really want foreigners teaching our children? I'm sure no one will be honest with that except me! WE need to stop this BS, and the time is NOW!!!

raven

I SAID IT YES I DID !
Good Choice

Friday, April 11, 2008
By JESSE YEATMAN

Staff writer

I think this is a very good idea St. Mary's should outreach to Jamaica for school teachers. Most of our younger teachers are looking for 8 month jobs 8 hour work days and Tiki Bar hoping. The days of the good loveing careing hard core teachers are gone. I also think the current pay and benefits for teachers in this county is great. Some teachers in our current system are spoiled and are in need of a shake up every now and then. :bigwhoop:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
Charles County does most of its teacher recruiting in Penn. and WV.

I don't know what teachers in St. Marys make initially, but in Charles Co. it's $42k to start, right out of college, no experience.

ImnoMensa

Jamaica----for teachers? Why not just ride up to Howard, at least the kids could understand them. probably.

sparkyaclown

I also think the current pay and benefits for teachers in this county is great. Some teachers in our current system are spoiled and are in need of a shake up every now and then. :bigwhoop:

St. Marys is the lowest paying in Southern Maryland. My wife drives to Charles everyday for this very reason and quite honestly, for the amount of crap they are required to do now especially with the NCLB BS I think they are still severly underpaid.

Last edited:
Charles County does most of its teacher recruiting in Penn. and WV.

I don't know what teachers in St. Marys make initially, but in Charles Co. it's $42k to start, right out of college, no experience.

All of my son's new teachers during elementary and now middle have been from PA...

foodcritic

How about the commissioner's raising the teacher's pay to be competitive? How much did the trip to Jamaica cost? How much is the trip to the Philippines going to cost the tax payers? Wasting money is what the commissioners are good at instead of putting the money where it needs to go! They will use their appropriation excuse time and time again until we're all blue in the face. WE as people need to change these appropriation laws and get the children new schools and NOT Wildewood Condos! New roads anyone?

Did we forget this country is ran by the people, for the people?

Do we really want foreigners teaching our children? I'm sure no one will be honest with that except me! WE need to stop this BS, and the time is NOW!!!

I agree 100%. I don't know what the people of St. Mary's County were thinking when they voted these people in. It seems to me that the people in the county only want their "buddies" in office and not people who are going to do a good job. And the commissioners seem to be in it only for themselves.

I know I would not want foreigners teaching my children. Its hard enough to get American teachers to teach and not indoctrinate the children with their own idea. And what about the children being able to understand teachers with heavy accents? This country is going to implode on itself real soon.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
And what about the children being able to understand teachers with heavy accents?

This is a real issue. My daughter's first grade teacher was excellent, but she did have a heavy accent and my daughter had a very difficult time understanding her. As a result she had a very difficult time with reading, spelling, and understanding directions. It took 3/4 of the year to "tune" her ear to the teacher. After 4 years of American teachers - and being straight honor roll - she's concerned about middle school. One of our teachers is originally from Africa and has a very rich accent. My daughter isn't sure she'll be able to understand her. My son, on the other hand, has had no problem understanding the teacher - but he has "the ear".

As to imposing their ideas on the kids, guess what? The American teachers do that every day, and their ideas often clash with mine.

I agree 100%. I don't know what the people of St. Mary's County were thinking when they voted these people in. It seems to me that the people in the county only want their "buddies" in office and not people who are going to do a good job. And the commissioners seem to be in it only for themselves.

I know I would not want foreigners teaching my children. Its hard enough to get American teachers to teach and not indoctrinate the children with their own idea. And what about the children being able to understand teachers with heavy accents? This country is going to implode on itself real soon.

Kind of like... going to the doctors.

Pete

Repete
Isn't the gist of the article that they are looking for "diversity"? Here we go with the "D" word :rolleyes: Algebra is algebra no matter what color or accent the teacher has. they need to focus on getting the graduation rate and MSA scores up and not what the ethnicity of the math teacher is.

LateApex

I see nothing wrong with finding whoever they need to fill the positions.

The problem isn't whether these teachers are foreigners or not, but the pay they give teachers.

I thought about teaching once - when I was in college - because I wanted to make a difference and I enjoyed tutoring when I was in school.

But, once I looked at the pay - I quickly decided against it. I was making almost as much in the military - which wasn't much to say the least...

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I see nothing wrong with finding whoever they need to fill the positions.

The problem isn't whether these teachers are foreigners or not, but the pay they give teachers.

They not attempting to find whoever, they're resticting their search by race. They have qualified applicants they won't hire because of the color of their skin.

Sounds racist to me.

LateApex

They not attempting to find whoever, they're resticting their search by race. They have qualified applicants they won't hire because of the color of their skin.

Sounds racist to me.

Did you even read the article?

In an effort to find teachers for hard-to-fill positions, St. Mary’s public school system is extending its search outside of the country’s borders.

I don't know about you, but that sounds like they are trying to find qualified applicants for these HARD TO FILL positions...

Furthermore:

It also offers a good opportunity to find teachers for areas like secondary math and science as well as special education, school human resource personnel said; vacancies in these areas are hardest to fill every year.

I don't see anything racist about this at all.

They want to add diversity.. So what?!?!

But, if it's in your agenda to find all things racist, it's your narrow minded outlook... This 'white woe is me' feeling that pervades this board is getting tiresome.

Nowhere in the article do I see anything that says they are restricting their search...

Please show me where it says they won't hire qualified applicants because of the color of their skin...

I know quite a few teachers that left the area to go teach up the road because they are paid peanuts for the job they do...