? for those who rent their home or are renters

jenbengen

Watch it
We are about to rent our home out for a year and will also be renting a home. What is the standard deal with setting up utilities such as electricity and water? Do you shut off those services when you leave or do you just transfer the already set up services with the renter's name on it instead of yours?

I've never done the rental thing so I'm a bit ignorant to it all.

lam2

tickled~pink
I rent, when we moved here the electric was in the landlords name, we just called and had it transferred to ours. It was easy smeasy, no hassles. I have never had to worry about water or any other utility, so can't answer for those.

Good luck!

punjabigyrl

Have it transferred to the people who are going to rent your home. Same goes for the place you are going to rent unless the landlord decides to pay it.

Ladybug76

We are about to rent our home out for a year and will also be renting a home. What is the standard deal with setting up utilities such as electricity and water? Do you shut off those services when you leave or do you just transfer the already set up services with the renter's name on it instead of yours?

For our rental in California, our utilities are set up so that they automatically go back into our names when the tenants move out. We give our tenants 2 weeks to put the utilities in their names.

We are renting here, and it was the same deal, we just had everything switched over to our names. The only one that was a minor pain was Metcom. For that we had to have a form signed by the landlords authorizing Metcom to switch the service to our names.

K

kris31280

I usually have it written right in to the lease what utilities the renter is responsible for and who they are responsible for setting up an account with.