Armed Forces Career Center

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
I have been looking for the number to the place on 235...does anyone have this number? And do you know if they have an Air Force recruiter there? Looking for info for my little brother. Thanks!

Arista

I have been looking for the number to the place on 235...does anyone have this number? And do you know if they have an Air Force recruiter there? Looking for info for my little brother. Thanks!
Don't have the number, but yes, there's an Air Force recruiter there.

Arista

Thanks! The Air Force website said the closest was in Waldorf.
Well, there USED to be an Air Force recruiter there. That's the office I was recruited out of, so... Your brother should be able to walk-in and talk to the recruiters during regular business hours.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Well, there USED to be an Air Force recruiter there. That's the office I was recruited out of, so... Your brother should be able to walk-in and talk to the recruiters during regular business hours.

Found the number--they no longer have an Air Force recruiter there. Thanks though...

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Why would he want Air Force? Is he swishy?

Not sure. I got a call from him today asking if I would take him to talk to the recruiter. We are going to meet with an Army recruiter this afternoon so he can gather more information. College isn't his thing...so he is looking at his options.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Not sure. I got a call from him today asking if I would take him to talk to the recruiter. We are going to meet with an Army recruiter this afternoon so he can gather more information. College isn't his thing...so he is looking at his options.
Why not call the one in Waldorf to see if he will hook up closer to home?

301-645-5570

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Why not call the one in Waldorf to see if he will hook up closer to home?

301-645-5570

I make that drive several times a week so it isn't too bad, I just figured that they would have had a recruiter in this building. Well, they did...but who knows what happened!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I make that drive several times a week so it isn't too bad, I just figured that they would have had a recruiter in this building. Well, they did...but who knows what happened!
It was probably just not enough people coming in or interest to maintain a one-man office.

Arista

At this point, his mind isn't made up so he is going to gather info and talk to some people.
One thing to keep in mind... the "cool" jobs you see on the TV commercials are the ones that are pretty hard to get, because the space in the tech schools are so limited. I'm just sayin'...

Best of luck to him though! There's nothing wrong with joining the military!

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
One thing to keep in mind... the "cool" jobs you see on the TV commercials are the ones that are pretty hard to get, because the space in the tech schools are so limited. I'm just sayin'...

Best of luck to him though! There's nothing wrong with joining the military!

He met with an Army recruiter this afternoon. He did his practice ASVAB and is going back tomorrow. He seems pretty excited at this point.

Thank everyone for their help.

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
As a current AF member I would council your brother as to exactly what military career interest him and bump that up against his education as well as aptitude test scores. This is very important as many guys go in and are misplaced (by a recruiter) into a career that offers little job satisfaction. The big picture is to obtain marketable military training for the civilian sector once you leave. As for the AF, all technical career training is top notch followed by IMO the Navy. But if little bro aspires to be involved with heavy equipment such as civil engineering then Army or Marines are good choices. As for aviation it gets down to personal preferences since all branches have excellent programs but ask any Airmen and they will tell u the AF has the best lodging facilities. Simple put, a tent is considered a four letter word in the AF.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
As a current AF member I would council your brother as to exactly what military career interest him and bump that up against his education as well as aptitude test scores. This is very important as many guys go in and are misplaced (by a recruiter) into a career that offers little job satisfaction. The big picture is to obtain marketable military training for the civilian sector once you leave. As for the AF, all technical career training is top notch followed by IMO the Navy. But if little bro aspires to be involved with heavy equipment such as civil engineering then Army or Marines are good choices. As for aviation it gets down to personal preferences since all branches have excellent programs but ask any Airmen and they will tell u the AF has the best lodging facilities. Simple put, a tent is considered a four letter word in the AF.

I will pass this along to him. Thank you.

N

navywife1984

AF Recruiters

My son belongs to the Civil Air Patrol which is a subsidiary of the AF. They have a local chapter in St. Mary's County that meets every Wednesday night from 7:00 till 9:00 pm at St. Mary's Airport on Airport Road, next to Wildwood Shopping Center. There are a number of senior members there who are retired (and former) Air Force folks that I am sure would be glad to talk to him. They also have nothing to gain like a recruiter who is only trying to meet his monthly goal (not saying that all recruiters are that way, so you recruiters out there, don't yell at me....please!!) Let me know if I can help out there in any way.

My husband is active duty Navy, so if you have any questions there, you can pm me. He also has a numerous family members who are active and retired AF.

A very proud Navy wife :patriot:

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
I am thinking that the problem that he is going to run into is that he has his GED. He is in college right now, but has decided that isn't for him at this time and wants to do something else.

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
I am thinking that the problem that he is going to run into is that he has his GED. He is in college right now, but has decided that isn't for him at this time and wants to do something else.

Be advised that the military is not an organization you would want to join if your eyes are only half open. Especialy if there are issues with dealing with authority and are not willing to live a life absent of a Democracy.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Be advised that the military is not an organization you would want to join if your eyes are only half open. Especialy if there are issues with dealing with authority and are not willing to live a life absent of a Democracy.

His father is retired Navy, he has been warned.

H

HouseCat

Good advice. To piggyback on EGTs post: AF Recruiters are going to try their darndest to fill criticially manned career fields first. Usually, if a career field is critically manned, its because they can't keep people in it for some reason. Just something to keep in mind.

My advice is to find what the high score is on his ASVAB first and go for something in that area. He'll be happier. But if he has his mind set on something, I think the best person to talk to would be a junior NCO in that career field... on base. Not the recruiter, or anybody who doesn't actually get their hands dirty in that job. Definitely not supervision. They're going to give him a glamorized look at the job, and not the down n dirty facts.

AF does have nicer lodging, but I think the Navy has better chow. My ex-Navy Dad used to say, "The Navy gets the gravy, and the Army gets the beans."