Air Conditioning Question

sinwagon

Ok so after 3 days of this guy telling us it was a condensor that was wrong with our a/c he came out today with the new condensor and come to find out it is the compressor.

So we need either A. a new compressor or B. a new outside box. I am trying to research online to see what these things cost but I do not know what the outside thingy is called.

Can anybody tell me what that is called? I have I guess a heat pump, its an a/c and heating until all in one big old box (on the inside) and this big outside box that has a fan on the top if you look at it.

Sorry if I sound stupid but I have no clue what this things is called!

Thanks!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Call it expensive.

I replaced my heat/ac unit last year to the tune of about $8,000.

Ouch. :nomoney:

But I must say, this new unit keps the house much, much warmer than the old unit, as did the ac unit keep the house much cooler than the old, inefficient one.

sinwagon

Call it expensive.

I replaced my heat/ac unit last year to the tune of about $8,000.

Ouch. :nomoney:

But I must say, this new unit keps the house much, much warmer than the old unit, as did the ac unit keep the house much cooler than the old, inefficient one.

Well the inside part of my a/c unit was already replaced about 4 years ago under the home warranty from when we bought the house 6 years ago so all I have to replace is the outside system (whatever it is called) he said I could replace the compressor for $600 and the whole unit for $1700. Both are hard for me to come by so this should be interesting.....

punjabigyrl

I hope you have a Home warranty with american home shield. That is a chunk saver. I'd highly recommend it. american home shield.com

kalmd

Hubby does HVAC and he said the outside box is a heat pump outside section, since it does heating and air conditioning both. He said you're better off changing the whole unit, rather than just the compressor.

sinwagon

Hubby does HVAC and he said the outside box is a heat pump outside section, since it does heating and air conditioning both. He said you're better off changing the whole unit, rather than just the compressor.

Who does your hubby work for? This guy is telling me $1700 to replace just that box.....is that in line?

kalmd

He works for Metal Crafters. He said it sounds reasonable, but he needs to know what size it is. If you don't know it, he said you can give him the model number and he can tell from that. He said if it's 3 tons or more, then that is a reasonable price.

County_Boy

Replacing the whole outside condensing unit for $1700 sounds fair and reasonable.......Ask them how much warranty comes with the new unit?

sinwagon

He works for Metal Crafters. He said it sounds reasonable, but he needs to know what size it is. If you don't know it, he said you can give him the model number and he can tell from that. He said if it's 3 tons or more, then that is a reasonable price.

It is 2.5 tons. I am finding online I can buy them for about $800 but then I don't know what it would cost to have someone put it in or what exactly has to be done to install it.

do you just connect it to the outside stuff as it is connected now or is it more involved? I have no clue! I see all these hoses etc coming from the house into the box and figure "oh you just unplug it and plug the new one in" but I have no clue if that is all there is too it.

I want to replace the whole thing but we are lucky if we have the $600 much less $1700.

sinwagon

Oh and the model is a York and the number is E1FB030S068 I think thats right. It was hard to see because it was on the backside of the box facing the house.

I guess somehow we will have to come up with it on top of dental work for my daughter and drivers ed for my son uggghhh! When it rains it pours and we sweat!

kalmd

Where are you looking online? Hubby said you have to have a license or work for a company to purchase one from a wholesaler. He looked in an older RE Michel catalog that he has in the house and saw one for about $800, but said they're probably more like $1000 now.

He said there's a lot more to installing it: soldering, electrical and whatever else. It's not as easy as just plugging in a new one.

Last edited:

sinwagon

Where are you looking online? Hubby said you have to have a license or work for a company to purchase one from a wholesaler. He looked in an older RE Michel catalog that he has in the house and saw one for about $800, but said they're probably more like $1000 now.

He said there's a lot more to installing it: soldering, electrical and whatever else. It's not as easy as just plugging in a new one.

Oh didn't know that. It stated online at various companies residential so I just clicked on it to see what came up.

thanks for the info though on the installation. My husband works for a general contractor so he is going to talk to one of those guys tomorrow to see if he can buy one wholesale and see if they wanna make some side money putting it in. Otherwise....back to the drawing board!

M

Mousebaby

Please call Ice Man and Son, this man will not rob you blind!

301-737-4636 Home

240-298-9060 Cell

bballfanatic

I will try to keep this short, Part of your problem may be that they replaced the indoor and not the outdoor section, Unless they matched it up with that York E1RB F030, Is the inside section a York? To properly install the unit the inside coil should be matched with the outside section you can go on ARI :: Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute to see if the outdoor is compatible with the indoor, The York unit is a 10 seer unit which where discontinued a few years ago the minimum you can buy now is 13 seer with that said either replace the compressor or make sure the indoor coil is changed to match the new outdoor section. If they change the outdoor and not the indoor they are doing you no favors and in 2 to 5years you will be replacing the outdoor section again, To properly install the unit they need a recovery machine that will recycle all the R22 in the unit it will also pull any moisture from the line, they should put a filter drier in line, And the freon should be weighed in on a scale, If this contractor is not doing this than call another. I PM you a name of a couple of contractors last week, The one in St Marys will be less expensive but he is very thourough and you wont be dissapointed other than possibly price if this is done correctly assuming the indoor section is matched correctly the compressor should be around $1000.00 If not the indoor and outdoor section will be roughly $3500.00 Hope this helps good luck

Vince

Do Not Replace just the Compressor.
Replace the whole outside Condensing unit.
If you can still get the part to match the inside unit. If I ever had to replace my outside unit, I'd have to replace the whole mess. It's a 20 something year old Trane and still running.