Riding Mowers

JabbaJawz

Be about it
More questions for you experienced homeowners! Any advice on a decent riding mower to cut approx. an acre? I don't need some top of the line mower with all the bells and whistles, but something decent. I'd rather not go over about $1,200. I know I can go to Sears and do okay, but a guy in the neighborhood suggested going to the local hardware store and getting a John Deere for the same price. I'm sure it's the crapdog model, but I didn't get to stop in and look yet.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by PFgal
a decent riding mower to cut approx. an acre and not go over about $1,200.

:roflmao: Yeah, like that's going to happen! :roflmao:

Elle

Happy Camper!
As Dad would say, Nothing runs like a Deere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually FIL just bought a Bolen or what ever the store brand is from Lowes a month ago and loves it. He comes over every weekend to cut our lawn and then does the BIL's too. Hey since he likes you maybe you could make a deal with him to come do yours too!!!!!!!

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: Riding Mowers

Originally posted by justhangn
:roflmao: Yeah, like that's going to happen! :roflmao:

You really think we're being too cheap? From what I've seen, the cheapest, crappiest ones are $800 or so. Seems that I can get something that's alright for $1,200. :shrug:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by tys_mommy
As Dad would say, Nothing runs like a Deere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As my Dad would say, too, lol. Rode around on his old crappy Montgomery Ward mower forever, then went and got a $6,000 Deere. That's insane if ya ask me!

Elle

Happy Camper!
Carroll's Equipment has payment plans just like cars. if you are really interested in a John Deere.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Hey since he likes you maybe you could make a deal with him to come do yours too!!!!!!!

Actually, it's the BIL that likes me, not your FIL, haha. Now if HE gets a riding mower I think I can strike up a deal :wink:.

J

justhangn

Re: Re: Re: Riding Mowers

You really think we're being too cheap? From what I've seen, the cheapest, crappiest ones are $800 or so. Seems that I can get something that's alright for $1,200. :shrug:

I've learned that you get what you pay for. I paid $1300 for my Lawn Chief. It has a 42" mower deck but I'm only cutting ½ an acre too.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Carroll's Equipment has payment plans just like cars. if you are really interested in a John Deere.

No, I'm not at all. The neighbor was basically saying that we can go to Sears and spend $1,200, or go to the local place and get a Deere for the same price. I'm guessing it's more like a doe, though, LOL!

Elle

Happy Camper!
Actually, it's the BIL that likes me, not your FIL, haha. Now if HE gets a riding mower I think I can strike up a deal :wink:.

Nah you went and got married on him so you are now SOL.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Was that before or after he ran into the shed????

After, and it was actually the porch post that he ran into. Oh, and let's not forget the big dent he put in the door of his SUV b/c he fell asleep on the tractor. :rolleyes:

:lmao:

SeaRide

My father just bought a brand new one not long ago. Before the new one, he had the Snapper for over 15 (or 20?) years mowing over 1.5 acres of grass and weeds. That ole Snapper has been through alot (rolled, backflipped, and all kinds of mishaps). Sadly, we had to give it up when it moan and croaked for the last time. My father went to the same old faithful local lawnmower repair shop ( not far from PFgal's new home) and asked for advice on buying a new lawnmower. The brand name slipped my mind but it will come to me after drinking some java. Anyway, we bought the lawnmower from the dealer in Delaware ( no sale tax). We are happy with the riding lawnmower. It has 15hp and cuts 42 in. It just happens to have a nice waterbottle holder. :blushing:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
You can get something good for as little as $1200.00 or as much as $4000.00, depending on what you want to do with it.

If it's just a grass-cutter. Go for the cheapie. They'll do that and pull a cart, but don't move snow very well.

If you want to clear snow out of a 150' or more driveway, till a garden and do other yard work then you'll want to spend a bit more, and get something that can push a blade or power attachements.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Kyle

If it's just a grass-cutter. Go for the cheapie. They'll do that and pull a cart,

That's all I'm looking for, and from what I've seen at Lowes and other places, $1,200 will buy a decent one. Not a total POS at least, LOL!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
That's all I'm looking for, and from what I've seen at Lowes and other places, $1,200 will buy a decent one. Not a total POS at least, LOL!
Then just make sure it has a filtered pressure oiling system( Some of the cheapies don't), good hp(14 or more) and maintain it regularly.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Kyle
Then just make sure it has a filtered pressure oiling system( Some of the cheapies don't), good hp(14 or more) and maintain it regularly.

How often does the oil need to be changed on one of these bad boys?