The MVA is crazy.....

Tomahawk202

It'll make ya feel good..
Ok, can someone explain this to me?

I have two motorcycles. I took them off of the insurance late last year, to save money. ( with the increasing prices of heating oil over the winter, I needed to save the money ) Ok, so I pull one of my bikes out of the garage and fire it up, and notice my registration expired last month. I go online to renew the tag and they stop me because I didn't have insurance on the bikes for the ENTIRE YEAR!!!!????

WTF? How can someone make you keep insurance on something you only ride once and while throughout the year?! Then on top of it, I can't understand how you can pay for a motorcycle when there is 4 inches of snow on the ground!

They want 1100 dollars, per bike, before they allow me to re-register my bikes. That's a scam, and it's flat out crazy. Anyone else ever had this problem? I am headed to VA to register them now, cause I'll be damned if I give MD another penny.

That's noted in the literature you get when you register and renew: if insurance lapses, you are mandated to surrender your plates.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Its the law dude and it keeps idiots from riding around in uninsured cars with plates on them. Sorry you learned the hard way. You ain't the first to do that.

lovinmaryland

I have two motorcycles. I took them off of the insurance late last year, to save money. ( with the increasing prices of heating oil over the winter, I needed to save the money ) Ok, so I pull one of my bikes out of the garage and fire it up, and notice my registration expired last month. I go online to renew the tag and they stop me because I didn't have insurance on the bikes for the ENTIRE YEAR!!!!????

WTF? How can someone make you keep insurance on something you only ride once and while throughout the year?! Then on top of it, I can't understand how you can pay for a motorcycle when there is 4 inches of snow on the ground!

They want 1100 dollars, per bike, before they allow me to re-register my bikes. That's a scam, and it's flat out crazy. Anyone else ever had this problem? I am headed to VA to register them now, cause I'll be damned if I give MD another penny.

You have to turn in your tags before you cancel your insurance... your company should have told you that. If you dont you are subject to a $150 fine for the first 30 days and $5 each additional day after that.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

Yes, they are crazy, I hate dealing with them. Their policies are nothing but a racket.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes...

...the MVA may be crazy, but you got notices, at least two of them, when your insurance expired. They, your insurance company, are required to notify the state who in turn let you know they'd been told you had no insurance. The notices said 'give us back the tags or proof of current insurance'.

it may not be fair, but your were notified.

mattvivslivesou

www.meerkatsound.com
Last year I sold my truck (only vehicle), I talked to insurance and they told me to keep the insurance on the vehicle and just to turn in the plates to the MVA. It was going to be very expensive when I started a new insurance policy with a new vehicle because that would list me back in with “risk” drivers till I proved myself.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
I don't know why anyone would say it sucks or this is a racket of sorts. I don't agree with all the MVA's BS but I do agree on the insurance cancellation/tag turn in thing. This keeps the idiots form cancelling insurance then driving around and getting into a wreck and having to deal with the uninsured motorist crap.

Want something to complian about? Why do I have to pay state taxes to the MVA for a car I bought in from out of state which was already bought and paid for when I register it in this state? That has always crawled up my azz.

DEEKAYPEE8569

That's noted in the literature you get when you register and renew: if insurance lapses, you are mandated to surrender your plates.
------------------------------------------
Or pay a fine to the tune of $185.00. Aske me how I know.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly

We have Motorcycle Riders insured thru us who turn in their tags every time it gets too cold for them to ride and cancel their policies and then put them back on and restart their policies when the weather is good again. They swear it saves them money to just garage the bikes for about 5 months. I'll take their word for it since I don't have a bike.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Welcome to Maryland.

That's the way it works. Your insurance company should have told you this or asked if you had returned the plates. It's kind of ridiculous in the case of motorcycles, but it keeps people from buying insurance in order to get registered and then canceling.

beerlover

Hey at least you know now, it could be worse. My hubby sold a truck once and didn't turn in his plates. About 5 years later they sent a $5000 bill but in all those previous years we never heard anything. They waited until the charges racked up that high THEN sent a bill.

Holy CRAP!!! Did you have to pay it? I've never turned in a set of tags ever. They are all nailed to the wall in my garage. All from different states, though. Is MD unique in the turn-in-the-plate game?

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Holy CRAP!!! Did you have to pay it? I've never turned in a set of tags ever. They are all nailed to the wall in my garage. All from different states, though. Is MD unique in the turn-in-the-plate game?

I think there are other states that play the same game. I think NC and NY do it.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
I think there are other states that play the same game. I think NC and NY do it.

I know if the vehicle is still driveable you definitely better turn them in! We had a guy in here who never turned his plates in and somehow every accident the new driver had got stuck on his license. He finally got it all straightened out but it was a nightmare!!!