Great Mills Kayak Launch...

R

remaxrealtor

Has anyone been down this? The sign says 2.5-3 hours and I'm wondering if it's really that long. I'm also wondering about the water level right now?

TIA!

mkd20012001

Live~Love~Laugh
When we passed the other day the water seemed very low. I haven't been though. I would like to take the kayak out there this summer.

Tina2001aniT

I did too. :roflmao: I thought she was advertising some kind of lunch special or something. :dork:

See, in my mind I had a nice realxing trip planned out. We were going to Kayak for an hour or two, stop for a picnic lunch and kayak the rest of the way. It was going to be a lovely day. :otter:

tommyjones

Has anyone been down this? The sign says 2.5-3 hours and I'm wondering if it's really that long. I'm also wondering about the water level right now?

TIA!

the GF and i did this last year.
I would say the trip to St marys city was every bit of 2 1/2 hours maybe three, adn that was with a strond wind at our back. the water level is only an issue for the first mile or so. We did the run in a canoe and had an occasional issue but only had to portage' once.

overall i would say it was a real nice ride, but be aware you will be out in open water for quite a bit of the ride.

bohman

What Tommy said - do pay attention to which way the wind is blowing before you leave; half the trip is in open water and it's going to be tough going upwind. But then, I'm used to a large canoe with a lot of freeboard; in a low-slung kayak it won't be as bad.

ETA: There was a thread on this subject somewhere in the Outdoor Activity forum last year, if you care to search for it.

Last edited:

mkd20012001

Live~Love~Laugh
the GF and i did this last year.
I would say the trip to St marys city was every bit of 2 1/2 hours maybe three, adn that was with a strond wind at our back. the water level is only an issue for the first mile or so. We did the run in a canoe and had an occasional issue but only had to portage' once.

overall i would say it was a real nice ride, but be aware you will be out in open water for quite a bit of the ride.

Is that for both ways or just down to the college?

beagleavenger

I've done it!

My boyfriend and I did that last summer. We took two kayaks from the Great Mills Point where you are talking about down to the college. Even though the sign says 2.5-3 hours, it took a lot longer than that. We didn't stop along the way. We didn't really paddle hard until it started to get dark four hours later. It took us 4.5-5 hours.
It was a fun trip though- at one point a swan came out of the reeds and started flying towards us!

tommyjones

Is that for both ways or just down to the college?

one way, and as i said, we practically sailed with the wind behind us.

I would say the upriver trip would take quite a bit longer than the downstream. especailly if you have to fight the wind as well as the current.

R

remaxrealtor

one way, and as i said, we practically sailed with the wind behind us.

I would say the upriver trip would take quite a bit longer than the downstream. especailly if you have to fight the wind as well as the current.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Wow, it sounds like quite a trek!