I need a new phone service..help!

boomer

I have Verizon house & cell phones. It is next to impossible to reach a Verizon LIVE person via phone! ...a bit of irony... communication and all that.... Just about anywhere I call from my house is long distance.

Is there another phone company available in SoMD that provides house & cell service AND doesn't cost an arm and a leg AND has live people working for it?

Surely appreciate some feedback on this one.
boomer:confused:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Verizon is the only residential phone service. Of course you can pick any long distance service you want, but You cannot avoid Verizon altogether unless you don't have a phone in the house. You could just use your cell all the time.

willie

Verizon's "customer service" is awful. I had Close call America for long distance for quite a few years because they had a very good inter state rate. A little over a year ago they offered local service for less than Verizon so I took it. CCA leases bulk from Verizon. Several months ago a truck knocked the phone junction box off the pole so I lost service. I called CCA and an honest to goodness person answered the phone and Verizon was out here the next morning. I think it's closecallamerica.com but if not, a search will find it. I still have Verizon cell phone and do all my transactions online. CCA also has cellular service also bulk from Verizon. When my Verizon cell contract is over then I'll switch.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If you have the 2002-2003 Charles-St. Mary's Verizon phonebook check pages 28 and 29. They have 12 other local telephone companies identified there.

F

Frostillicus

I've got Verizon local, cell and LD; service has been absolutely stellar, no problems. I do all of my account stuff online, who needs some retarded ******* on the phone messing things up?

F

Frostillicus

Originally posted by mainman
obviously not, you still post every day dont ya? :cheesy:
:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
That's it, I'm leaving and never coming back :cheesy:

bcg

I rec'd a letter from AT&T that they will do local service and long distance. I am not sure how it works, I think they just switch you over. It is available in the area and the prices were good. :smile:

http

Why do you need to reach someone from Verizon? I've had them since the Bell Atlantic days and have only had to talk to someone once in probably 15 years.

Anyways, as far as the long distance, you need to change your local plan (once you reach someone). Get the 301 plan. That will make anything in the local DC, NOVA beltway area local. Only Annapolis and Baltimore 410 will be long distance.

And as far as reaching someone, don't pay your phone bill on-time like me. You'll get real customer service people about 4 times a day.

alex

You can find out if AT&T covers your area on their website. If so, you can switch at the same time. However, if you have a DSL line with anyone other then them, you can get everything but Local service.

John Z

if you will
Originally posted by SmallTown
of course if you want to do away with your typical service, you can try broadband telephone service.

http://www.vonage.com/

That's funny you mention that. I was just checking their website out this morning. We have broadband, so I'm tempted to try them out. My cousin-in-law up in NYC has Vonage and loves it. Unlimited calls anywhere in US/Canada for $40/mo. Not too shabby.

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
Can someone please explain the difference between broadband service and the regular service companies like Verizon offer? I checked out the website ST gave and at first glance I was wondering why everyone wouldn't sign up for this service.

http

Originally posted by carolinagirl
Can someone please explain the difference between broadband service and the regular service companies like Verizon offer? I checked out the website ST gave and at first glance I was wondering why everyone wouldn't sign up for this service.

Its called Internet Telephony or Voice-Over-IP. In other words you are making phone calls through a DSL or cable modem connection, almost like chat. The reason no one is using it quite yet is because it basically just came out, commercially at least, and it has just finally gone through all of its FCC regulations. It will take off though.

SmallTown

Football season!
It has a couple of drawbacks.
1) (This may have changed, haven't looked in awhile) It can't be used for 911 calls. They were working on getting this changed, not sure of the progress.

2) Works great with cable modem, but if you use dsl for a connection, you will have to keep your local phone service and dsl connection, which somewhat defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.

We looked at it a few months ago. Still had some quirks with the system. I would say within the next year or so, it could be a very good alternative to your normal line, especially if you already have cable modem service.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by bcg
I rec'd a letter from AT&T that they will do local service and long distance. I am not sure how it works, I think they just switch you over. It is available in the area and the prices were good. :smile:

I heard the same. And I know that my parents just switched over to AT&T. So apparently they do. :shrug: Who knows. I know I am also getting fed up with Verizion and their BS. So we are most definatly thinking of switching over to AT&T.