Hobbies in So MD

S

ShellyCW

(I tried to post this before, but it didn't take.  Sorry if there's doubles.)
Hobbies:
~I'm a movie junkie.  Some of my favorites are Office Space, The Godfather, The Princess Bride, Aliens, and Amadeus.  Mafia movies (and TV shows: The Sopranos) are a special favorite.
~Photography is an on and off hobby of mine.  There are some beautiful landscapes around this area.
~Geneaology.  Especially fun if you have colorful ancestors.  :crazy:  
~I've thought about archery, but bows are expensive so it might be a while.

I am a yardsale and thrift store junkie.   This area is great for yardsales.  I've probably been to every thrift store in Calvert & St. Mary's.  I buy to resell mostly on eBay.  So of course, another one of my hobbies is standing in line at the Post Office to mail stuff.  
Parrrr-teeee!

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
My current big hobby is keeping aquaria, but I've been doing it for twenty years. I just started a big saltwater reef tank in July, and it has live coral, several kinds of crabs and shrimp, and some beautiful fish. I have eight other tanks as well (1 saltwater, 1 goldfish, 1 turtle tank, and 5 freshwater).

I also paint in oils.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I like to craft - sew, crochet, fabric paint, that sort of thing.  I also read a lot and mess with my computer.

Yardsalequeen, you hit the jackpot down here because it's a transient area - constant yard sales!

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I enjoy cross stitching, although I don't get to do it too often.  I like to do crafty things as well.  I can't wait to be done with school and get on with the rest of my life, hehe, there are so many fun things I'd like to try.  I really want to learn to cook (I just know the basics), so that might become a hobby shortly, lol, as I attempt to make new things.

S

Sticks

I coached football these 2 past seasons and last year found myself unbelievably bored after the season was over. So I am making a preemptive strike against boredom. I have purchaced a drum set and am practicing diligently in the basement trying to get my coordination back from 20 yrs ago! OMG! 20 yrs ago!
It is working and now I'd like to start or join a band, rock, top 40 or whatever in time for summer and hopefully get a weekend gig going. If you know of anyone who is trying to start a band or just wants to jam please let me know. Thanx

PmoneyandTT

Back from Vacation!!! Whoa it was long - and fun.. Hope everyone enjoyed their holidays.. I see somethings never change.. Well anyway - I use to have hobbies.. With having kids in elementary - your time isn't yours anymore.. I did alot of crafts in my day once upon a time.. But now Im finding I like to cook - try new things.. Im looking into getting a Norwegian recipe book.. Start the new year - making different dishes from different parts of the world.. Hope I don't fatten up Pmoney..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I like to cook and have friends over for dinner or dine out.  

Reading is always good too, when I have the time.  

During the spring and summer months I try and watch the local papers for things to do.  Some are more family oriented than others.

My sister and bro-in-law sail and keep their boat at Solomons during that time, so I spend a lot of time over there.

PMoney - I'd be interested to hear more about the Norweigan cooking, I am of that descent ....  Let me know how it turns out.

PmoneyandTT

Just curious - do you know where I can get some Norwegian Cod Roe.. I can get it closer to DC - but I don't want to drive all the way up there - just to get that.. I figure I could get it closer down my way..

Pmoney's - grandfather was Full Norwegian.. We are thinking of taking a cruise to Norway - ofcourse not while its snowing.. I don't want to re-play the titantic..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yay!  Dinner at TT's!!!  The only place I've ever been able to find exotic cooking ingredients is on the Internet.  I love to cook but my kids turn up their nose at anything unfamiliar.  They'll eat it - they just sneer at it first.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I wouldn't even begin to know where to find that, nor have I had it.  I have never prepared any Norweigan food, but would be interested.  My Grandmother came over when she was 4.  I have not been to Norway but would love to go, I understand it is a beautiful country.

I'm lucky that my daughter will try just about anything, she has an adventurous palete.  :)

S

Sticks

I've been to Bodo Norway twice and have eaten in the Norweigan chow hall for breakfast. It was ok with me but they had tons of fish and cheese, alotta the fish was in a tube for sandwiches. Ummmm Um Ehm! good!
It is a beautiful place but I wouldn't want to eat breakfast there everyday. one of the people I work with has a wife from Norway. If you wan't I can find out info for you. Just ask. See-ya,
                                   Sticks

PmoneyandTT

Oh thanks sticks.. I will get the cook book.. I know some of the receipes deal with alot of fish.. This will be a trial and error kinda thing.. Then I will probably move on to something else.. My super went to Italy last year - she went to a cooking - bed and breakfast type thing.. Were you cooked your meals for a week with an instructor.. She said it was fun.. The same italian meals we get here - is nowhere near the same as they make there.. So I will be indulging in alot of different types of international foods..

alex

There is a lot to do depending on how much time you have.  I volunteer with Boy Scouts as well as several reenactment groups like St. Maries Militia, a Rev War unit and a Civil War Unit.  I also like to read, sew, and do a lot of different crafts.

Tweet

Last Fall I was introduced to Stamping.  I made all my Christmas cards and I also made Christmas ornaments.   I didn't think I had a bit of creativity in my bones until I tried this hobbie.  My friends and family are now looking forward to their Valentine's cards.  

My newest hobbie is model rocketing - my neice and nephew surprised me with a model for christmas. 500 feet straight up! It was a blast (pun intended)!!  I just stocked up on rocket motors - so look out for UFOs in Hollywood.

I also toy with old cars - my '66 Chevelle gets a bunch of my attention.  Going to car shows and cruises is a lot of fun and gives me a chance to meet a lot of people with a common interest.

Another "hobby" of mine is home improvements - improvements,  NOT repairs. I hate repairs. But, I enjoy doing almost anything that adds quality at home.

Something rebeka and I are doing now is model boat building. She found this model that's been sitting in the closet for fourteen years and talked me into building it with her. This thing is just plans and raw wood. We need to make everything from scratch. I'm getting good with tweezers and a magnifying glass.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Stillcrazy...curious if you show up on Saturdays at the Kmart in Prince Frederick...?

I've been to the Prince Fred K-Mart several times, but not more recently than about August. I hope to get there more often once the weather improves.

Is there much happening there this time of year?

I try to make weekly runs up to Sam's Club in Waldorf on Thursdays. Again, weather and daylight is keeping me home.  You can usually find twenty or so cars there on an average evening.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Tweet,

Where do you get your stamping supplies?  I'd like to get a few idea books and try it out myself, I think I could find some things at Wal-Mart, K-Mart or places like that for reasonable prices.

Thanks!