Adventures in Koi

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
We dropped 3 Koi in our fish pond last week ... will be putting a larger pond off the deck, but for now, they're pretty happy. :yay: This is just one of 'em ... the camera batteries died on me. :ohwell:

Disregard the big orange electric cord ... my laptop battery doesn't last too long and I get fed up with it dying out on me. :lol:

Attachments

• koi.jpg
    koi.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 385
  • fish pond.jpg
    fish pond.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 366

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I had 11 goldfish in my pond yesterday. Today I'm down to four. I'm pretty sure the heron got the others sometime yesterday. One of the fish I have had for three years and it was getting pretty big.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I had 11 goldfish in my pond yesterday. Today I'm down to four. I'm pretty sure the heron got the others sometime yesterday. One of the fish I have had for three years and it was getting pretty big.

I think we have too much activity on our deck for birds to swoop down to get the fish ... 3 dogs, the cat, we're out here chilling ... too scary a scene for a bird. :lol:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I think we have too much activity on our deck for birds to swoop down to get the fish ... 3 dogs, the cat, we're out here chilling ... too scary a scene for a bird. :lol:

My pond is down in the yard, so it's fair game. We were sitting on the deck the other night and the heron started to swoop down, but caught sight of us and flew off. Could have been a racoon or something, also. There are goldfish scales on a little dock we have in the pond. The fountain had been knocked askew. I guess I won't get any more fish. :shrug: I figure now that whatever it is knows where to get a free meal, it will be back. Darn it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My pond is down in the yard, so it's fair game. We were sitting on the deck the other night and the heron started to swoop down, but caught sight of us and flew off. Could have been a racoon or something, also. There are goldfish scales on a little dock we have in the pond. The fountain had been knocked askew. I guess I won't get any more fish. :shrug: I figure now that whatever it is knows where to get a free meal, it will be back. Darn it.

Use fake fish next time and see what happens. :lol:

C

CalvertNewbie

:lmao:

Wouldn't work though, we have a fake heron. He would eat them.:lmao:

Doesn't your fake heron scare off the real ones? We had a pond up in NY (sure miss it!) and we had a bunch of koi & goldfish in there. We bought a fake heron to protect our fish because they're supposedly loner birds. If they see another heron already at a pond, that territory is taken and they will keep searching for another pond. We only had one fish taken in 9 months, of course my favorite yellow koi. We used to move the fake one around the pond to different areas. :lmao:

Doesn't your fake heron scare off the real ones? We had a pond up in NY (sure miss it!) and we had a bunch of koi & goldfish in there. We bought a fake heron to protect our fish because they're supposedly loner birds. If they see another heron already at a pond, that territory is taken and they will keep searching for another pond. We only had one fish taken in 9 months, of course my favorite yellow koi. We used to move the fake one around the pond to different areas. :lmao:

Guess not. Maybe I should try moving him around.