Doc Wait Times

flyingdog

Anyone else wonder why you have to agree to a policy whereby if you are more than 10 min late you get charged for the doc visit but if you wait in the doc office it's tough luck? While I want to get the same personalized service, I feel that this is a scheduling thing and not simply because the person in front of me took too long. I hate it because I like my docs, but if I say something I know my file will be marked.

tyky

eieio
I worked for a dentist before as an asst. I remember getting behind or something simple turned not so simple. So I understand when I go to the doctors and I usually don't complain, but when I was pregnant with my first child my hubby came to all my appointments and everytime I was not called back within 5 minutes of my appointment time my husband would start making comments like "we should bill the doctor for our time". Needless to say he biatched so much, that with my second child he didn't make it to even one appointment. Not by my choice but I wasn't upset:lmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Anyone else wonder why you have to agree to a policy whereby if you are more than 10 min late you get charged for the doc visit but if you wait in the doc office it's tough luck? While I want to get the same personalized service, I feel that this is a scheduling thing and not simply because the person in front of me took too long. I hate it because I like my docs, but if I say something I know my file will be marked.

Another reason why I hate doctors - they have no respect for their customers. If I treated my clients the way doctors treat their patients, I'd be out of business in 10 seconds.

I will, however, give a shout out to two dentists who realize that someone's time other than theirs is valuable: Dr. McCray in Mechanicsville, and Dr. Barley in Leonardtown. :yay: Niebauer kept me waiting for 45 minutes before I walked out and told them I wouldn't be back.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I worked for a dentist before as an asst. I remember getting behind or something simple turned not so simple.

That's fine but the least - the VERY least - they could do is let you know. You sit there and sit there, and finally when you ask how much longer it's going to be, the reception person glares at you like you're being a PITA, and says, "Just a few minutes," which turns into a half hour at least.

They should simply say they're running behind, and would you like to reschedule or can you wait?

tyky

eieio
sheesh, I didn't work there but I would have been embarrassed making someone wait 45 minutes, thats way too long

spike2763

I will, however, give a shout out to two dentists who realize that someone's time other than theirs is valuable: Dr. McCray in Mechanicsville, and Dr. Barley in Leonardtown. :yay: Niebauer kept me waiting for 45 minutes before I walked out and told them I wouldn't be back.

:yeahthat:
I walked out of Niebauer after 55 minutes. Wonder how many other patients they lost

tyky

eieio
That's fine but the least - the VERY least - they could do is let you know. You sit there and sit there, and finally when you ask how much longer it's going to be, the reception person glares at you like you're being a PITA, and says, "Just a few minutes," which turns into a half hour at least.

They should simply say they're running behind, and would you like to reschedule or can you wait?

I completely agree the receptionist needs to let you know what's up and tell the truth but the fact is most of the time they are young girls that are afraid of confrontation.

I remember having to fill in at the front desk and in the beginning I would just say what I thought would make the patient happy, then I learned to be honest b/c it just made the people waiting more upset. In the few times I worked as a receptionist filing in, that was the worst job. You have no control of what is taking so long and all the people in the waiting room staring at you as if that was gonna make the doc move faster.
My experience, when you show up ask if the doc is running behind and go from there, I think you would get a honest answer rather than a BS answer since you aren't coming at them in frustration

west

honestly, i hate going to docs because of the wait! every time i take kids to doctor we end up waiting over an hour to be seen and then another hour /hour & half to get finished up with doctor. Last time i took daughter to pediatrician with a rash on hand we waited in waiting area for an hour & half before we were called back.
Now, I remember when a "rash" was priority and taken back to patient room as soon as they arrived.....what ever happened to that??
I have even booked "first appt of the day" and still had to wait....
with kids, this is how i felt by the time we got out of docs office:jameo::jameo:

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
I hate waiting for hours. My doctors office used to not be so bad but now that one of the doctors left and only one stayed the wait is forever... BUT if you hit urgent care on a night when your doc is in you can be in and out in 20 minutes

CalifrniaDreamn

honestly, i hate going to docs because of the wait! every time i take kids to doctor we end up waiting over an hour to be seen and then another hour /hour & half to get finished up with doctor. Last time i took daughter to pediatrician with a rash on hand we waited in waiting area for an hour & half before we were called back.
Now, I remember when a "rash" was priority and taken back to patient room as soon as they arrived.....what ever happened to that??
I have even booked "first appt of the day" and still had to wait....
with kids, this is how i felt by the time we got out of docs office:jameo::jameo:

I don't mind to wait if it isn't all the time, and I always figure, if I had an emergency I would be SOOOO grateful they saw me, and it keeps me from beyatchin about all the times I have to wait!

Of course, the doc offices that call me and say they are really behind on their schedule and could I come a little later win my vote as the best!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BUT if you hit urgent care on a night when your doc is in you can be in and out in 20 minutes

That's where I go on the rare occasion I need a doctor for anything. The doc office said it would be at least a week before they could see me, but I walked into UrgentCare that day, took an hour from start to finish, and I walked out with what I needed.

Rael

Supper's Ready
For the dentist, I always try getting the first appointment of the day for that reason.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Another reason why I hate doctors - they have no respect for their customers. If I treated my clients the way doctors treat their patients, I'd be out of business in 10 seconds.

I did that one time at Dr Miller's office in Leonardtown when I was kept waiting for over an hour. By the time I got home, the Dr's office had called to see why I left. I told them and since then, I get right in.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I hate waiting for hours. My doctors office used to not be so bad but now that one of the doctors left and only one stayed the wait is forever... BUT if you hit urgent care on a night when your doc is in you can be in and out in 20 minutes

The Urgent Care in Solomons is bad (atleast the two times I went). The first time, they misdiagnosed my son when he had Rosiola (sp?). I even knew what he had based on Internet search. They completely ignored the rash he had all over his torso. The second time, I had pink eye and they told me that there was nothing wrong with my eye. Since then, I go to the one in San Souci Plaza and have had great results.

KWAK

My pediatrician's office did this to me about a month ago. I sat for an hour before I finally got up and asked the receptionist if we were soon on the list - they told me I was next, then proceeded to call another patient. I told them I wanted the form to get her records - then they called us back (at this point an hour and 20 minutes later). The nurse tried for us to not even be seen because I had requested the records but I told her to kiss it - that we had sat that long and she WOULD be seen! And I did wind up getting her records.

I understand delays - 15 minutes, okay, 30 minutes, not really okay but stuff happens. Ultimately, they are treating me but I am paying THEM for a service - so dammit, it better be good or I'll find someone who can! I typically schedule appointments to be the first person of the day or after lunch!

jenbengen

Watch it

The worst is when you have children with you. Plus, I try not to go unless absolutely necessary because I can't stand the thought of sitting in a room with a bunch of hacking sick people. I end up getting something worse than what I came for. :lmao:

awpitt

Main Streeter
I guess I've been lucky. I have a real good relationship with my Doc. I've been going to him even since I got out of the NAV 18 years ago. He's in high demand so routine appoints might mean up to a week to wait. I normally get there 15 minutes before the appointment time and get my name on the list. I've had to wait up to a half an hour at times so I always bring something (work, game, etc) so the time is not wasted.

jsouthan

I completely understand everyone's frustrations. I also HATE to wait when I have an appointment. That is what the appointment time is for. However, I have to totally give it up for Bayshore Pediatrics in Prince Frederick. My kids go back within 5 minutes of signing in and are usually seen within another 5-10 minutes. Whenever they go with my to an appointment or have one themselves, they usually take something to do (book, DS...) and at the pediatrician they get upset because they never really get to do what they brought with them! :lmao:

K

kris31280

Last Tuesday it was a 45 minute wait just to be taken back to the room, it was 12:45 (the appointment was at 11!) by the time my son and I finally got out of the doctor's office. 12 is baby's nap time, so he's falling asleep in the chair inside the room waiting for the doctor, nevermind that he was running a fever and didn't feel good.

Yesterday for the follow up visit we were in and out of there within 10 minutes.

It's like a crap shoot, going to the pediatrician's office.

puggymom

I completely understand everyone's frustrations. I also HATE to wait when I have an appointment. That is what the appointment time is for. However, I have to totally give it up for Bayshore Pediatrics in Prince Frederick. My kids go back within 5 minutes of signing in and are usually seen within another 5-10 minutes. Whenever they go with my to an appointment or have one themselves, they usually take something to do (book, DS...) and at the pediatrician they get upset because they never really get to do what they brought with them! :lmao:

Yep, I love Bay Shore Peds. I have only had to wait more than 15 minutes ONCE when one of my kids had a scheduled appt. The other times I have waited was for the walk in hours but that is expected.