Baby Bird question..

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
If a baby bird falls out the tree trying to fly, can the parents pick him up?

And if he just fell out, to young to fly, can they pick him up?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
If a baby bird falls out the tree trying to fly, can the parents pick him up?

And if he just fell out, to young to fly, can they pick him up?

I had this same question yesterday. Baby bird was on the road. As I came close to it, it chirped real loud. I left it alone and when I came back a few mintues later, it was gone. Don't know if it flew away or if mom/dad came and got it.

tommyjones

I have no idea. it was dark, and he was black.

Second question I know the parents wont come back if a human touches the baby, what about other animals? Like dogs?

birds dont care if you touch their babies, but most cannot pick up the chick if it has fallen.

Gwydion

Second question I know the parents wont come back if a human touches the baby, what about other animals? Like dogs?

Thats 100% not true. Urband legend generated to prevent kids from playing with the fledglings.

As far as will they get back up to the nest...it really depends. Most fledgelings leave the nest prior to when they actually can fly then just hop around on the ground "testing" out their wings....while their parents still care for them.

Best just to leave it there...unless it is in danger of human contact (i.e. road, KFC, etc.)

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
NO they can not pick it up..yes you can handle it..if it is feathered and learing to fly the parents will feed it after it leaves the nest..if it is not ready to leave the nest and falls it will die unless you replace it in the nest..hope this helps.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
I had this same question yesterday. Baby bird was on the road. As I came close to it, it chirped real loud. I left it alone and when I came back a few mintues later, it was gone. Don't know if it flew away or if mom/dad came and got it.
Yeah that's what happened last night. We went back out to find it and it was gone. And the other birds had settled down a bit

Put it back in the nest if you can.
But I thought if you touched them the parents wouldn't come back

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Thats 100% not true. Urband legend generated to prevent kids from playing with the fledglings.

As far as will they get back up to the nest...it really depends. Most fledgelings leave the nest prior to when they actually can fly then just hop around on the ground "testing" out their wings....while their parents still care for them.

Best just to leave it there...unless it is in danger of human contact (i.e. road, KFC, etc.)
This helped!! It was in our backyard. So we just took the dogs inside for the night.

NO they can not pick it up..yes you can handle it..if it is feathered and learing to fly the parents will feed it after it leaves the nest..if it is not ready to leave the nest and falls it will die unless you replace it in the nest..hope this helps.
It had feathers, so I am guessing that he was learning to fly and just fell out of the tree.

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
Birds, in general, have a poorly developed sense of smell. If you see and can reach the nest you can put him right back in. I know last year my bluebird box was like a shanty shack (hole in the roof and such), and my pair were out there trying to make it a home. I bought a new one and when I went to switch is out they already had chicks, I had unscrewed the box and laid it on the ground and all! So I had to move the nest and the chicks to the new box. Mom and Dad were back in the box as soon as I walked away :) So I would just tuck him right back in if you can - he should be fine :)

Gwydion

This helped!! It was in our backyard. So we just took the dogs inside for the night.

It had feathers, so I am guessing that he was learning to fly and just fell out of the tree.

:yay:
Take some pics! Perhaps you can put up some feeders to watch it grow and stay in your yard!

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
:yay:
Take some pics! Perhaps you can put up some feeders to watch it grow and stay in your yard!
I would if I can find the nest. They are huge trees, and two of the over lap. So I am not sure I know which he fell out of.

If anything I am sure he will be back to pick on the girls more. Payback

Parrotmomm

What's one more bird?
Wow - I took a phone call and look at the responses :) hahaha
Good Luck with him, and like Gwydion said if he's feathered he's most likely fine. If he can perch (that grasping reflex) he'll be fine out of the nest, that's just the next step for him :)