Md. Court Lets Spouses Sue Each Other

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Annapolis - The Court of Appeals today abandoned a common law doctrine that prohibited husbands and wives from suing each other, saying the law has - quote - "outlived its usefulness, if ever it had any."

In a unanimous ruling, Chief Judge Robert Bell wrote that the prohibition against lawsuits is old fashioned.

The decision allows William Bozman to pursue a claim filed against his wife two-and-a-half years ago in Baltimore County Circuit Court. He alleged that Nancie Bozman, now Nancie Chiodi, falsely accused him of stalking and harassment while they were seeking a divorce.

Bozman's lawyer says the ruling is a victory for his client, but it also helps victims of domestic violence.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jazz lady
Annapolis - The Court of Appeals today abandoned a common law doctrine that prohibited husbands and wives from suing each other, saying the law has - quote - "outlived its usefulness, if ever it had any."

In a unanimous ruling, Chief Judge Robert Bell wrote that the prohibition against lawsuits is old fashioned.

The decision allows William Bozman to pursue a claim filed against his wife two-and-a-half years ago in Baltimore County Circuit Court. He alleged that Nancie Bozman, now Nancie Chiodi, falsely accused him of stalking and harassment while they were seeking a divorce.

Bozman's lawyer says the ruling is a victory for his client, but it also helps victims of domestic violence.
Oh, crap, I bet the flood gates of frivolous lawsuits will open wide now? I can see some @ssclown suing their wife/husband for not giving enough loving and wasting precious court time to determine the required amount of loving deserved by a spouse.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Md. Court Lets Spouses Sue Each Other

Originally posted by Ken King
Oh, crap, I bet the flood gates of frivolous lawsuits will open wide now? I can see some @ssclown suing their wife/husband for not giving enough loving and wasting precious court time to determine the required amount of loving deserved by a spouse.
Ya think I can sue the hubby for stealing the last of my frozen ding dongs 4 years ago when I was pregnant with our child? :lmao:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Md. Court Lets Spouses Sue Each Other

Originally posted by RoseRed
Ya think I can sue the hubby for stealing the last of my frozen ding dongs 4 years ago when I was pregnant with our child? :lmao:
Yeah, but he might counter with a suit concerning what he wanted you to do versus what you actually did that resulted in your pregnancy.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Md. Court Lets Spouses Sue Each Other

Originally posted by Ken King
Yeah, but he might counter with a suit concerning what he wanted you to do versus what you actually did that resulted in your pregnancy.
:yikes: :roflmao: :lmao: