Hey ladie that hit the Black BMW today on 235

Peter Forsberg

To the lady that hit the Black BMW today on 235

To the lady this afternoon that was speeding up the right hand turn lane on 235 to beat the traffic that had built up because of an accident. That Black BMW you hit is gonna cost you bigtime. Hope you have good insurance. I saw it coming. I hope you learned your lesson.

Last edited:

Dukesdad

I'm glad she hit someone although I hope no one was hurt. What a bunch of asswipes trying to save a few minute running up the turn lane, turning in the McDonalds, through the parking lot and back out by Hewitts or at the next oportunity, rolling up the turn lane, into Maple and out past Cedar Point on to 235. Phucking azzholes

Peter Forsberg

I'm glad she hit someone although I hope no one was hurt. What a bunch of asswipes trying to save a few minute running up the turn lane, turning in the McDonalds, through the parking lot and back out by Hewitts or at the next oportunity, rolling up the turn lane, into Maple and out past Cedar Point on to 235. Phucking azzholes
Nope nobody was hurt she locked them up good. This was well before WAWA doing exacly what you described above.

jetmonkey

I see jack asses using the turn lane to pass almost every week. My favoprite was the dick that ran into the island by the CVS, that was classic.

bohman

Check out any of those islands at the right turn lanes, they're tore up :lol:
Big chunks and chips knocked out.

I wish that they had installed those islands at every intersection; it would prevent people from using the turn lane as a passing lane.

Well, maybe it won't prevent it the first time - but they wouldn't do that twice!

SoMDGirl42

To the lady this afternoon that was speeding up the right hand turn lane on 235 to beat the traffic that had built up because of an accident. That Black BMW you hit is gonna cost you bigtime. Hope you have good insurance. I saw it coming. I hope you learned your lesson.

The driver of the black BMW is a co-worker. You won't believe this one, but according to the police officer he was charged as the at fault driver. According to the policeman, you can use the "turn lane" from the base to route 4 if you want to, as long as you "intend" to turn right at some point. It's called the "boulevard law". Even thought it's not covered in the Maryland handbook, Maryland recognizes this law. Maybe Somdcop can give some more info on this.

Poor guy has had nothing but bad luck. He relocated here from California. Wasn't here anytime when he was rear ended. He just got his car back last week from that. He transferred his car insurance from California to Maryland yesterday morning, then had to call them 4 hours later to report this accident.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

The driver of the black BMW is a co-worker. You won't believe this one, but according to the police officer he was charged as the at fault driver. According to the policeman, you can use the "turn lane" from the base to route 4 if you want to, as long as you "intend" to turn right at some point. It's called the "boulevard law". Even thought it's not covered in the Maryland handbook, Maryland recognizes this law. Maybe Somdcop can give some more info on this.

Poor guy has had nothing but bad luck. He relocated here from California. Wasn't here anytime when he was rear ended. He just got his car back last week from that. He transferred his car insurance from California to Maryland yesterday morning, then had to call them 4 hours later to report this accident.

No ####? Wow. Learn something new every day.

I'd take it to court.

AndyMarquisLIVE

I'd take it to court.
:yeahthat:

I always wonder how the statistics "prove" women are better drivers. Seems to me that women are the worst drivers around here. Between the ones doing their nails in their SUV or yappin' on their phones, they cause too much "action" and turn 301 into Bristol.

This kind of thing almost prove to me one of the few things I've kind of always wondered about with the statistics. I wonder, had the driver that hit the BMW been a male, who's fault would it be? :shrug:

I know my sister's been involved in 3 or 4 accidents, and has 2 or 3 speeding tickets (one for 75 in a 30:faint:), but she's never been at fault for a single accident she's been in.

I don't know if you can take that to court though. I'd like to see the police report myself, I'd love to know what law he broke to cause the accident.

SoMDGirl42

While both Maryland and the District of Columbia recognize similar principles with regards to tort liability arising from collisions at intersections, only Maryland specifically refers to the laws as the “boulevard rule.” The case law is well established in Maryland as to these liability issues, whereas cases in the District are a little more scarce. What follows is an analysis of the Boulevard Rule in both jurisdictions in response to a hypothetical factual scenario whereby a favored motorist traveling at a rate of speed in excess of 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limit collides with an unfavored vehicle at an intersection, injuring the passengers of the unfavored vehicle.

Boulevard Rule in Maryland

The so-called “boulevard rule” is derived from Maryland Code § 21-403. The rule states in part:

§ 21‑403. Right‑of‑way; vehicle entering intersection

(a) Preferential right‑of‑way at an intersection may be indicated by stop signs or yield signs placed in accordance with the Maryland Vehicle Law.

(b) If the driver of a vehicle approaches a through highway, the driver shall:

(1) Stop at the entrance to the through highway; and
(2) Yield the right‑of‑way to any other vehicle approaching on the through highway.
Md. Code Ann. Trans. § 21‑403.

The Maryland Court of Appeals coined what is known as the “boulevard rule” early in case history, evident in Greenfeld v. Hook, 177 Md. 116, 132 (1939):

"it is the positive and imperative duty of a person driving an automobile over an unfavored highway, when he approaches an intersecting highway lawfully designated as a 'boulevard' or 'stop street,' to stop before entering the intersection, and having stopped, to exercise reasonable care and diligence to discover whether traffic thereon is approaching the intersection, and, having entered the intersection, to yield the right of way to such traffic, by permitting it to proceed without interruption, and that that duty persists throughout his passage across the favored way."

Id. at 132.

The automobile that does not have the right of way is so designated the “unfavored vehicle.” Consequently, they have a mandatory duty to stop and yield to the “favored vehicle.”

A variety of suits exist in Maryland case law where the boulevard rule is applied. The most common is a suit by the favored vehicle driver against the unfavored vehicle driver. An unfavored driver will be deemed negligent in a suit brought by the favored driver as a result of an accident, provided there is no evidence of contributory negligence on the part of the plaintiff. Dean v. Redmiles, 374 A.2d 329, 336, 280 Md. 137 (1977).

The Redmiles court discussed a variety of policy reasons for the boulevard rule and, among other things, emphasized the duty of unfavored drivers: “the duty of an unfavored driver to stop and yield the right-of-way is mandatory, positive and inflexible.” Id. at 335. However, while a defendant unfavored driver will be held negligent as a matter of law if he breaches his duty, the favored driver may also be found subject to liability to third parties, irrespective of the boulevard rule application, if they breach their duty of care.

The Redmiles case involved an action by a passenger who was injured while riding in the favored vehicle against the driver of that vehicle. The Maryland Court of Appeals agreed with the decision of the lower court that the application of the boulevard rule would NOT bar a claim against the favored driver by a third party. The court held:

"the boulevard rule does not relieve the favored driver from the duty to observe that degree of ordinary care for his own safety which is imposed upon all men. From that it follows that the boulevard rule does not relieve the favored driver from the duty to use that degree of care for a passenger in his vehicle which one expects a normally prudent driver to exercise on behalf of his passenger."

Id. at 336.

Therefore, if the favored driver in some way deviates from a reasonable standard of care in the operation of his own vehicle, then the boulevard rule will not protect him against a suit from a third party. If there is evidence of possible favored driver negligence, the question will be presented to a jury to determine liability.

The Redmiles decision noted the potential role that speeding would play in a suit by a passenger of an unfavored driver against a favored driver: “The fact that the favored driver is violating the speed law does not become a jury question unless the evidence is sufficient to warrant a conclusion that the violation is a proximate cause of the injury.” Id. at 338.

Additionally, in Maryland “excessive or unlawful speed on the part of the favored driver 'will ordinarily not be considered a contributing factor' in a Boulevard case.” Thompson v. Terry, 226 A.2d 540, 544 (1967), citing Sun Cab Co. v. Faulkner, 163 Md. 477, 163 A. 194 (1932). In order to support an action for damages, the injured party must demonstrate that the driver’s excessive rate of speed was a proximate cause of the accident. This is a high burden placed on the unfavored driver because they must show that the accident occurred solely based on the deviation of care by the favored driver RATHER THAN their failure to yield as required by law.

While Maryland cases discuss the boulevard rule and specific ways to apply it depending on the parties to a suit and factual differences that might arise in personal injury cases, the District of Columbia law is not as straight-forward.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Depends on what happened. If he moved over while she was there (i.e. hit in the side), it's his fault
So I can just go fly up the right-turn on 301 as long as I have intent to turn at some point? Okay, I'll try this on my way home. Oh, wait a minute. Common sense tells me I'm going to get in an accident if I do that. :ohwell:

awpitt

Main Streeter

So the BMW was moving into the turn lane after the other car was already there? The "boulevard law" address cases like if you're entering a main road from a secondary road or entering a secondary road from a driveway. In this case, it seems whoever was in the turn lane first would benefit from the boulevard rule. This seems odd and it might be worth going to court over. COPs have been known to be wronge from time to time.

Vince

So if someone is running the right lane north on 235 at the intersection before rt 4, they can zip right through the intersection in the right turn lane? I don't think so. Especially when it says on the sign, "Right lane must turn right" just before that intersection.

So I can just go fly up the right-turn on 301 as long as I have intent to turn at some point? Okay, I'll try this on my way home. Oh, wait a minute. Common sense tells me I'm going to get in an accident if I do that. :ohwell:

Common sense should tell anyone not to go flying by a line of cars that are stopped or moving slowly no matter what lane you are in. Someones gonna pull out sooner or later.