Old Aquasco Speedway

AndyMarquisLIVE

Posted pictures I took of the old Aquasco Speedway during my journey down there. There's nothing left of the track - please do not use these images elsewhere, they're going to be used in a future publication. Nothing left but a broken road, a broken quarter-mile of memories and racing history.

It's not worth the hassle if you plan on going there. Although, I did pre-arrange my trip down at the old speedway. The owners were very pleasant to me, and very friendly.

I'll have more about the Aquasco Speedway in the coming weeks. Enjoy what's left of the first quarter-mile dragstrip on the east coast.

AndyMarquisLIVE Gallery - Southern Maryland Online MultiMedia Gallery

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Is that all that's left? Amazing! Thanks for sharing it. Met a guy at a car show that claimed to be one of the owners way back.

Since Aquasco Speedway was built in the fifties and ran through America's darkest days of racism, the speedway's facilities were segregated.
Sorry, but I really doubt the 1950's & 1960's are America's darkest days of racism. I'd have to consider the time when slavery was being practiced as darker days than the 1950's & 1960's.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
Sorry, but I really doubt the 1950's & 1960's are America's darkest days of racism. I'd have to consider the time when slavery was being practiced as darker days than the 1950's & 1960's.

Okay so there were darker days but most of us weren't around for the slavery day so the 50's and 60's are what most of us know whether in person or in the history books. I suppose now you will ask for compensation from Andy because Andy's comment offended you in some way! Get a grip.

The 50 and 50's was a bad time/dark time in the eyes of racism.

Okay so there were darker days but most of us weren't around for the slavery day so the 50's and 60's are what most of us know whether in person or in the history books. I suppose now you will ask for compensation from Andy because Andy's comment offended you in some way! Get a grip.

The 50 and 50's was a bad time/dark time in the eyes of racism.
Most of us on the forums weren't around in the 50's or 60's either. And if they were around in the 60's, it was the late 60's.

Either way, I wasn't around during the slavery years, but seeing as how I leaned a little in History Class, I know about slavery. If anybody thinks the 50's & 60's comes close to being as bad as the slavery times, they should be ashamed of themselves and go read some history.

If you pay attention to what I said in my original post, you'd see I said "Darker", thus implying that the 50's and 60's were dark days, just not the darkest.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

LesterGreen

Most of us on the forums weren't around in the 50's or 60's either. And if they were around in the 60's, it was the late 60's.

Either way, I wasn't around during the slavery years, but seeing as how I leaned a little in History Class, I know about slavery. If anybody thinks the 50's & 60's comes close to being as bad as the slavery times, they should be ashamed of themselves and go read some history.

If you pay attention to what I said in my original post, you'd see I said "Darker", thus implying that the 50's and 60's were dark days, just not the darkest.

Dude, it's Andy.... he tends to talk out his azz!

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !

Where did you find that quote?:confused:

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!

I agree that most of us weren't around back then. My point is that Andy just brought up a fact about the era and not a comparison to the days when slaves were brought into the America's by ship.

What exactly did you lean on in History class? Was it your spelling book? Why the heck do we have to turn a simple quote into a lesson on slavery. Some folks just have to look into everything and take it to a whole other level.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
great pic thanks for sharing check these out too andy Aquasco Speedway

Well now that was really neat...I remember most of the old names...Been there a number of times when I was younger....Remember the Mori Brothers and their Chevywagon....Blue Volkswagon bug with a fat arse chevy V8...They always ran good....I remember Malcolm Durham too...The really big thing was when Jungle Jim Liberman came into town....

ImnoMensa

I made a few passes at Aquasco and I was around in the 50's and 60's the days werent all that dark for black people.

Certainly facilities were segregated,but that left a lot of opportunities for black entrepeneurs.

There were black owned bars and hotels, and places of amusement. I remember the old Shirley K hotel and the Graves hotel here in the 7th. All around the country there were similar black owned businesses making a profit from entertaining people of their own race. The Shirley K had the first swimming pool I remember in the 7th. I remember seeing busloads of blacks coming down to stay there and listen to the music and play games and go fishing.
Cadillacs stopping for gas in the local stores. The Club Paradise was rocking every weekend. There were black social halls here in the 7th. One at Hatchet Thicket Rd and one on Abell Rd. Black boat owners always had fishing parties out of the Shirley K and the music of top name black orchestra's floated out over St. Patricks Creek.

The Howard Theater in Washington DC was the center for black entertainment there.

When Segregation ended it was the end of these places. The Graves hotel was burned down last year to remove an eyesore it became, and the Shirley K is just left with one wing barely standing and the pool filled in , a crack house stands next to it.

Whites had Marshall Hall and Glen Echo park to go to and these too are gone. Casualties of desegregation. The feelings at the time was that whites wouldnt go with blacks the there, and there wasn't enough black business to keep them open. The riots that ensued at the gates didnt help any.

Now , before you go jumping in with both feet and condemning me for this post, I am not in any way saying segregation was right or better. Just saying that times werent all that bad. A lot of black businessmen suffered as blacks started going to white parks and their businesses folded. Times they changed .

I am not making judgements just passing on some history. I am sure many blacks remember things in a different way. That's the way it is with points of view.. Looking at things from a different perspective.

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
Well now that was really neat...I remember most of the old names...Been there a number of times when I was younger....Remember the Mori Brothers and their Chevywagon....Blue Volkswagon bug with a fat arse chevy V8...They always ran good....I remember Malcolm Durham too...The really big thing was when Jungle Jim Liberman came into town....

Have you seen Gene Mori's newest toy. He has a '07 HHR with a 350 in it. Its pretty wild.

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
Posted pictures I took of the old Aquasco Speedway during my journey down there. There's nothing left of the track - please do not use these images elsewhere, they're going to be used in a future publication. Nothing left but a broken road, a broken quarter-mile of memories and racing history.

It's not worth the hassle if you plan on going there. Although, I did pre-arrange my trip down at the old speedway. The owners were very pleasant to me, and very friendly.

I'll have more about the Aquasco Speedway in the coming weeks. Enjoy what's left of the first quarter-mile dragstrip on the east coast.

AndyMarquisLIVE Gallery - Southern Maryland Online MultiMedia Gallery
Those are some pretty cool pictures Andy. I didn't think anything was left from the old track.