Pre K

Vrock

It's not that serious
How do I get my 4 year old evaluated... get the ball rolling so we can try and get him in Pre K?

He was going to the CDC on base but I had to pull him out when I had my daughter in January. I really think he'd benefit from Preschool if I can get him in.

We live in Green Holly's district.

TIA.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Go to the school ASAP and get an application. You are kinda late, but not too late if he has a "need" or is considered "at risk."

atrusomder

Isaiah 55:8-9
How do I get my 4 year old evaluated... get the ball rolling so we can try and get him in Pre K?

He was going to the CDC on base but I had to pull him out when I had my daughter in January. I really think he'd benefit from Preschool if I can get him in.

We live in Green Holly's district.

TIA.

Go to Green Holly and get the pre-k app.
You can call first and the secretary should be able to provide you with all the vital information.
If not, stop on in and get pre-k packet.

Good luck... That pre-K program was the best thing SMCPS did...

Vrock

It's not that serious
Thank you thank you! Is there anything I can do to give him a better chance of getting in? His teacher at the CDC recommended that he go, as well.

Vrock

It's not that serious
I'd have to pay monthly to put him in Creative Beginnings, though right? I'm assuming Green Holly would be free because it's public? I can't afford to pay for him to go anywhere right now.

Geek

I'd have to pay monthly to put him in Creative Beginnings, though right? I'm assuming Green Holly would be free because it's public? I can't afford to pay for him to go anywhere right now.

Creative Beginnings is private and has a fee. A lot of times to get into pre k, you have to have an extremely low income or some developmental or health problem in the child.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Make sure he is good and tired and not operating at his best. The worse he does on the evaluation test the better chance he has of getting a slot.
:yeahthat: Plus it helps if you are high or drunk (although they might also call CPS on you, but hey, that'll get you extra points too)

You also get "points" towards admission for being a single parent, living in an old house that might contain lead paint, having been in jail, move around a lot (yes military counts)...actually, now that I think about it, there was a bill in the last General Assembly giving points for military personnel, just for being military, I think it passed, but I don't know if it goes into effect for this coming school year or the next.

Other points for diagnosed medical or developmental condition for the child, even wearing glasses.

The good news is the big-time loser parents who could get their child in automatically are often too lazy or uninformed to apply for pre-k, leaving spots open.

mlseskar

My 4 year old twins just finished the Special Ed preschool program at Green Holly. They have made huge strides this year. I am not sure where you are from, but Green Holly (during the school year) provides bus transportation as long as you live south of Route 4. Call Green Holly at 301-863-4064 and ask for Mrs. Fletcher. She is the assistant principal in charge of IEP (the system they use to determine if your child qualifies.) The whole process for us took a few months, but it is so worth it. My girl twin only spoke a few words when she started in January, and now is talking in sentences. And they loved going. They were upset when it was the weekend and they did not have school.

ironintestines

Non-Premo
To get your child in Pre-K, Category 1 is the target you need to aim for. Set your standards real loooow.

-If your married, get divorced. "Parents" are not preferred
-If your child has only one father, get at least a few more. Unknown biodads are a plus.
-If you have a job, quit immediately. No income is preferred.
-Criminal records are good
-General deviance is admired.

Pretty much, if your child is normal & you are good parents, your turd out of luck in getting him/her enrolled in Pre-K in the public school system.

I was shocked when I learn what the enrollment prerequisites were. I understand the pecking order for needy/high-risk/slow learning children getting first dibs at slots, but what I was educated about during the application process clearly catered toward the trashy parent. The worse off you are, the better off they are..