"Business Casual" at Pax River?

IanCaw

I'm scheduled to attend a number of presentations at Pax River NAS in a few days, and in their documentation they say to dress Business Casual. I'm curious, though, as Business Casual attire means different things to different workplaces.

My workplace requires a tie as part of their business casual attire, but I understand most places don't. For anyone that works at the base (as a contractor or otherwise a civilian, as I'm sure any Navy employees are under a totally different code), what would you think is appropriate for the base?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Dress pants (Khakis would do), shoes (not sneakers) and a polo shirt, or a dress shirt with no tie.

BUT if you are representing your business, and you business' definition of business casual is a tie.. I'd wear a tie.

LordStanley

I know nothing
I'm scheduled to attend a number of presentations at Pax River NAS in a few days, and in their documentation they say to dress Business Casual. I'm curious, though, as Business Casual attire means different things to different workplaces.

My workplace requires a tie as part of their business casual attire, but I understand most places don't. For anyone that works at the base (as a contractor or otherwise a civilian, as I'm sure any Navy employees are under a totally different code), what would you think is appropriate for the base?

Shorts, flip flops and a cooler full of 10 ounce coors light. good luck

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

That's for us back side of Pax peeps. Nobody ever sees us. :shrug: Actually I was encouraged to dress casual in shorts and a tank top tomorrow...I was like WTF. :lmao:

LordStanley

I know nothing
That's for us back side of Pax peeps. Nobody ever sees us. :shrug: Actually I was encouraged to dress casual in shorts and a tank top tomorrow...I was like WTF. :lmao:

As if my jeans arent casual enough :lol:

Tomorrow I'll change into shorts and flip flops before the picnic.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

:lol:
I find my buildings to be quite casual as well...
Personally, I was told that as long as the job is getting done right and efficiently, nobody is going to say something about what you are wearing...obviously there are exceptions to this though :lmao:

For work, it is best to look presentable...some people in my company even just wear jeans daily, I do dress khakis though...but if representing a company...remember that it is always better to over-dress than to under-dress :yay:

D

doubt_me

Dress pants (Khakis would do), shoes (not sneakers) and a polo shirt, or a dress shirt with no tie.

BUT if you are representing your business, and you business' definition of business casual is a tie.. I'd wear a tie.

:yeahthat:

RaspberryBeret

Protected By Trunk Monkey

Agreed! Khakis and a polo shirt (even one with your company logo) would be appropriate for "business casual". Never wear jeans when representing your company at an "offsite" venue. You cant take back first impressions!

GopherM

Darwin was right
Preferred Dress Codes

Dress Code for Men:
Executive Impact Scale:
Men, as well as women, can be overdressed as well as underdressed. It is well known that the "penalties' are greater for being underdressed than overdressed. The man can 'dress-down' if he finds that he is overdressed (i.e., take off jacket, loosen or remove tie, roll up sleeves), but he cannot go in the opposite direction if he finds himself to be underdressed. In selecting particular ensemble for the day, the man should assess the degree of executive impact that he wishes to have. Not only must he know the hierarchical scale, but he must be aware of the relative degree of professionalism of clothes within an ensemble (Le, range from most to least assertive suits, sports jackets, slacks, shoes).
Knowing that there is a range of executive impact within each ensemble, the following ranking should be considered:
Business Attire:
1. Dark double-breasted suit, French cuffs, lace-up shoes and pin collar 2. Dark single-breasted pinstriped two-piece suit with lace-up shoes
3. Dark solid single-breasted two-piece suit with lace-up shoes
4. Lighter two-piece suit with button-down collar
5. Sport jacket with contrasting slacks and slip-on shoes
6. Long-sleeve shirt with tie and dress slacks and penny loafers
Elegant Casual:
7. Sports jacket without a tie and contrasting slacks (slip-on/
hard-toed loafers or penny loafers); khaki pants and jacket
Business Casual:
8. Shirt (not dress shirt) without tie, dress slacks and loafers
9. Shirt (not dress shirt) without tie and with casual pants/loafers
10. Casual top with khaki pants and casual shoes (e.g., dockers)
Casual:
11. Knit top with casual pants (jeans of any color) and sneakers
Or sandals
12. Knit top, or collar-less shirt, with jeans or shorts and
Sandals or thongs

Dress Code for Women:

Executive Impact Scale:
Women, as well as men, can be overdressed as well as underdressed. It is well known that the 'penalties' are greater for being underdressed than overdressed. In selecting a particular ensemble for the day, the woman should assess the degree of executive impact that she wishes to have. (One little rule that some executives employ is, "Dress to the level of the highest person that I am going to meet with on this day.") Not only must she know the hierarchical scale, but she must be aware of the relative degree of professionalism of clothes within an ensemble (i.e., range from most to least assertive suits, dresses).
Knowing that there is a range of executive impact within each ensemble, the following ranking should be considered:

Business Attire:
1. Double-breasted skirted suit with blouse or tank top and pump shoes 2. Single-breasted skirted suit
3. Skirt, blouse (or sweater), with a blazer
4. Dress with a coordinating jacket
5. Dress
6. Skirt with long-sleeve blouse
7. Skirt with short-sleeve blouse
8. Skirt with a sweater
Elegant Casual:*
9. Tailored pants-suit (or slacks with a coordinated or contrasting jacket); khaki pants and jacket; slacks and vest Business Casual:
10. Slacks with a blouse
11. Slacks with a sweater
Casual:
12. Jeans (any color) with knit or tank top and sneakers
* Note: A tailored pants-suit is very professional; many women feel that the pants-suit should be ranked at #6, or even #5, in the above listing. Some organizations have women making professional presentations,
even in the "Executive Board Room," in elegant pants-suits.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

With my work with clients at Pax, you pretty much hit the nail on the head!! Our firm has a tie policy except on Fridays UNLESS you are meeting with clients. You should be asking your manager or supervisor this question???

CalifrniaDreamn

I used to work for IBM, and the dilemma was huge there -- suit city! While you want to look professional, it can make your clients uncomfortable if you are overdressed to a great degree compared to them. That may be why you were encouraged to do business casual. Khakis and a dress shirt or a nice polo is casual enough ,and will probably be fine.

smile

We are always told that we are representing our company and we should dress according to our dress code not were we will be attending the meeting at. So I guess it all depends on who you work for and how they would feel on the subject. Most of the meetings I go to if the dress is business causal the dang gov't folks are in jeans and we then look totally overdressed, but you just get used to it.

BOP

We gov't folks are about due for somebody up on mahogany row to issue a proclamation any day now. I'm starting to see more and more jeans, tank tops, running shoes, and that kind of thing during the week, not just on Fridays. The worst offenders, believe it or not, are women. Regardless, too many people are pushing the boundaries to where the attire on Tuesdays, for example, don't look any more dressed up than they do on Friday. Soooo, the powers that be are bound to notice, and we'll all be more dressed up, like it or not. Probably before the end of summer, would be my guess.

C

czygvtwkr

We gov't folks are about due for somebody up on mahogany row to issue a proclamation any day now. I'm starting to see more and more jeans, tank tops, running shoes, and that kind of thing during the week, not just on Fridays. The worst offenders, believe it or not, are women. Regardless, too many people are pushing the boundaries to where the attire on Tuesdays, for example, don't look any more dressed up than they do on Friday. Soooo, the powers that be are bound to notice, and we'll all be more dressed up, like it or not. Probably before the end of summer, would be my guess.

Not much can be done about that I don't think, globally that is. There are government employees at PAX that do get dirty every day. Now your division, command whatever may try to do something.

BOP

I live in the IPT building. What's going on is that people are dressing down from dress slacks and skirts, shoes, and shirts and blouses, to jeans, athletic type shoes, novelty t-shirts, french tops, and the like.

C

czygvtwkr

I live in the IPT building. What's going on is that people are dressing down from dress slacks and skirts, shoes, and shirts and blouses, to jeans, athletic type shoes, novelty t-shirts, french tops, and the like.

Hmmmm every once and a while myself and my coworkers will venture up there to eat and we look rather out of place. Generally we wear polo shirts and jeans or khakis and feel a bit under dressed.

We make jokes that these people think were are there to fix the HVAC or plumbing or something.

queencity28

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. 4 years ago I worked in at the Comptroller as a contractor. We had to dress professionally, while the gov't "gals" dressed in sweats and jeans and old tee-shirts. I understand that we were representing our firm through our dress code, but it was ridiculous what gov't people would roll out of bed in and wear to work.