Local Blood Shortage

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Donors are urged to give blood this week and the weeks to come to counter a dangerously low blood supply in the Greater Chesapeake & Potomac (GC & P) Blood Services Region which supplies all of our local hospitals. The Southern Maryland Chapter American Red Cross is reporting a sharp decline in available blood, and is issuing an urgent plea to eligible blood donors to give the gift of life as soon as possible. All eligible donors are encouraged to call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE to schedule a blood donation appointment immediately.

“The local blood supply is well below normal,” says Earl Buffaloe, newly elected Chapter Board of Director’s Chairman , “yet local patients continue to depend on the blood supply. This summer has proven difficult to collect enough blood to meet the local need of patients. We are asking all local donors to respond by scheduling an appointment before the end of July.”

Declined blood collection not only puts a strain on an already vulnerable blood supply, but the lack of scheduled appointments makes it particularly difficult for the American Red Cross to meet every day needs of local patients. Each day, countless trauma victims, cancer patients, premature babies and surgical candidates rely on the availability of blood for transfusion.

WHO CAN GIVE BLOOD?

Donors must :

* Be in generally good health;
* Be at least 17 years of age, or, in the state of Maryland only, 16 years of age with parental consent
* Weigh no less than 110 pounds;
* Have NOT received a tattoo within the past year;
* Have NOT donated whole blood within the past 56 days.

In addition to asking individual members of the community to donate blood, the American Red Cross strongly encourages businesses and community groups to schedule and organize emergency blood drives, some of which may even be accommodated before the end of July. Donors are encouraged to call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE to schedule a blood donation appointment. Dates and location for Southern Maryland can be found on our web site Http://SouthernMaryland.RedCross.org. Any groups interested in scheduling a drive or obtaining further information is asked to call 1-888 276 2767, ext. 313.

:doh: It's late. I gotta go to bed. I read that title 3 times and was SURE it said "Local Blonde Shortage".

'Night.....

dn0121

Can you donate if you are diabetic? I donated years ago before I was dianosed.

Diabetes/Blood Pressure
  • Donors with well-established (not recently diagnosed) diabetes, who are controlled by diet, oral medications and/or insulin therapy, are eligible to donate
  • Controlling medications must have been used in the 24 hours before donation
  • Donors with controlled high blood pressure by diet, oral medications are eligible to donate

Arista

Can you donate if you are diabetic? I donated years ago before I was dianosed.
Yes, you can.

Source: Blood Donor Eligibility - American Red Cross Greater Chesapeake and Potomac Region

Most People Can Be Blood Donors…

But, only 5% of the eligible population actually donates! Let's work together to change that! You can give blood if you are 17 years of age or, in the state of Maryland only, 16 years of age with parental consent and weigh 110 pounds or more, are in general good health, have NOT received a tattoo within the past year, and have NOT donated in the last 56 days. There are some misperceptions about who can and cannot donate. Here are some guidelines.

You Can Donate if You:
  • Have high blood pressure, as long as it is below 180/100 at the time of donation (blood pressure medications do not disqualify you from donating).
  • Have diabetes (controlled by diet or medication).
  • Have completely recovered from surgery.
  • Have had a baby six weeks prior to donation.
  • Receive shots for allergies.
  • Have finished taking antibiotics prior to donation.

You Cannot Donate Blood if You Have:
  • Had hepatitis (a liver infection) on or after age 11.
  • AIDS or have tested positive for HIV (the AIDS virus).
  • Taken clotting factor concentrates for a bleeding disorder.
  • Taken illegal drugs-even once-by needle.
  • Ever had any type of cancer of the blood or blood vessels, including leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s, and melanoma
  • Or, if on the day of the blood drive, you
    • Have a sore throat, fever, flu, or productive cough.
    • Are pregnant.
    • Have a hemoglobin level less than 12.5 grams/dl or an hematocrit of less than 38%. These levels were approved by the Food and Drug Administration to ensure that when you donate, the donation will not make you anemic. If you have hemoglobin or hematocrit levels below these cutoffs, it does not necessarily mean that you are anemic.
  • Or, if in the last 12 months, you have
    • Had a tattoo.
    • Been treated for syphilis or gonorrhea.
    • Been in close contact with someone who had viral hepatitis.
    • Had sex with a prostitute.
    • As a woman, had sex with a man who has had sex with another man, even once.
    • Had sex with someone who has taken illegal drugs by needle, taken clotting factor concentrates, or has tested positive for AIDS.
  • Or, if in the last 5 years, you have
    • Been diagnosed with and/or undergone treatment for any type of cancer (excluding cancers of the blood or blood vessels)
    • Had a recurrence of any type of cancer (excluding cancers of the blood or blood vessels)

NOTE: Certain exclusions apply for non-melanoma skin cancers, in-situ cancers, and those still receiving prophylactic treatments 5 years after definitive treatment. For specific questions on these and other cancer-related deferrals, please contact the American Red Cross at 1-800-272-2048.
  • Or, if during your international travel and/or residency, you
    • Have spent a total time that adds up to 3 months in the United Kingdom from January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996.
    • Have had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the United Kingdom from January 1, 1980 to present.
    • Were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames:
      • From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany.
      • From 1980 through 1996 - Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.
      .​
    • Have spent a total time that adds up to 5 years or more in any combination of country(ies) in Europe from January 1, 1980 to present
  • Or, if since 1977, you
    • Have ever taken drugs or money in exchange for sex.
    • Are a male who has had sex with another male, even once.

Hawkeyewife

Childcare while donating?

I used to give blood every couple of months before having children. I was wondering, does anybody know of any locations that offer child care while the parent is giving blood?

Cowgirl

I called this morning to make an appointment to donate. I never have before. I'm waiting for someone to call me back.