Maryland cracked windshield law?

iamgregor

Are there any laws regarding cracked windshields in Maryland? I've got one, but I don't want to pay to fix it unless I have to. Also, if I were to get a ticket for it, is it one of those "fix it" kinds that you can have dismissed after you get it done?

MrX

High Octane
Its illegal.

Yes, you will get a SERO (Safety Equipment Repair Order) that you can get signed off once you repair the issue.

onebdzee

off the shelf
Its illegal.

Yes, you will get a SERO (Safety Equipment Repair Order) that you can get signed off once you repair the issue.

I thought you got one of those if the crack was in the view of the driver?....Friend of mine got hit by a rock from a dump truck(someone should really call DOT about the tarp law enforcement) and the windsheild cracked on the bottom about 3 inches up all the way across and still hasn't got a ticket for it....that was about 4 years ago

Cowgirl

One of our trucks has a crack across the passenger side of the windshield. We got pulled over for something else (officer thought I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, but I was). He told us to get it fixed, but no ticket or anything.

M

Mousebaby

Hubby's windshield has been cracked for years. His is coming down from the top but it does not go across his field of vision. He goes on base everyday and no one has said anything to him. :shrug:

MrX

High Octane
It depends on the officer i would imagine. Ive been pulled over with cracked windshields before and never received a ticket or even a verbal warning.

iamgregor

Its illegal.

So does that mean that I can get the ticket kicked out as long as I prove I fixed it? If so, that doesn't sound like something I need to do until and unless I get caught on it... until my next inspection anyway....

Speaking of, how did other people in Maryland pass inspection with a cracked windshield?

Also note that the crack runs from the bottom of the windshield up about 4 inches and then over about 18 inches. It's big, but near the bottom of the windshield and obstructing only the view of our own hood.

MrX

High Octane
So does that mean that I can get the ticket kicked out as long as I prove I fixed it? If so, that doesn't sound like something I need to do until and unless I get caught on it... until my next inspection anyway....

I wouldnt worry about it unless you feel its not safe, or you get a ticket for it.

Speaking of, how did other people in Maryland pass inspection with a cracked windshield?

Depends on if it was cracked when the vehicle was inspected. I believe the crack or chip has to be of certain size to fail. Since we dont have annual vehicle inspections its a non-issue what happens to it afterward.

Also note that the crack runs from the bottom of the windshield up about 4 inches and then over about 18 inches. It's big, but near the bottom of the windshield and obstructing only the view of our own hood.

:buddies:

KWAK

I once got pulled over just for a cracked windshield! I got a repair order for that. While he was at it, I got a second repair order for tinted windows. MVA told me the only legal tint was factory.

That was several years ago - when I got my last 2 tickets in January, I had a cracked windshield (different vehicle!), and the cop didn't say one word about it. Definitely depends on the cop.

iamgregor

So the most important question that I need perfect clarity on is this:

If I get a "ticket" for the crack, and I get it fixed, can I have the ticket expunged? Also, how would I do that?

MrX

High Octane
So the most important question that I need perfect clarity on is this:

If I get a "ticket" for the crack, and I get it fixed, can I have the ticket expunged? Also, how would I do that?

Like i said in my initial reply, you dont get a ticket per se, you get a repair order. Once you get the infraction fixed, take it (the vehicle) to a MSP barrack and get an officer to sign off on it.

greyhound

Like i said in my initial reply, you dont get a ticket per se, you get a repair order. Once you get the infraction fixed, take it (the vehicle) to a MSP barrack and get an officer to sign off on it.

I got a repair order for a headlight being out last year. It was from MSP. I did not have to take it to the barracks to be signed. The officer told me that you didn't need to do that anymore, just get it fixed. I guess they have the info in the system and if you get pulled over again they will have record of the order and will see that it has/hasn't been fixed.

OldHillcrestGuy

:yay: Im not sure but I think the Sheriffs Office can sign off on it also whether it was issued by MSP or a Deputy. :shrug: I'll find out shortly when someone I know gets up.

KWAK

I got a repair order for a headlight being out last year. It was from MSP. I did not have to take it to the barracks to be signed. The officer told me that you didn't need to do that anymore, just get it fixed. I guess they have the info in the system and if you get pulled over again they will have record of the order and will see that it has/hasn't been fixed.

I got a warning for a headlight that was out once. The ironic thing about that was that I had just been to Pep Boys and bought a new one - even tried showing the cop the receipt that I had just bought it! He still wrote me up! Cops no like me!

greyhound

I got a warning for a headlight that was out once. The ironic thing about that was that I had just been to Pep Boys and bought a new one - even tried showing the cop the receipt that I had just bought it! He still wrote me up! Cops no like me!

It's just a warning. Not a real ticket. The officer was very nice to me. I didn't even know the light was out. I was driving in a very well lit area.

SeaRide

quote]

What next inspection? Your vehicle goes through the MD inspection once you purchase the vehicle. I don't know where you came from. I know in Virginia, the inspection happens every year (or is it every two years?) but the VA inspection is not as strict as MD inspection.

A friend of mine got an order from the MSP to have the car go through the inspection because of too many things wrong with the car.

If the MSP says just fix the windshield then you just go and get it fixed at the glass repair place. Pretty simple.

If the MSP says to get the car through MD inspection .. then that means you have to put it through inspection to find out which part failed and then take your to car to the auto garage to have it fixed , then get the car back to the MD inspection to see if it passed. Then you can drive the car. Unless you think you know what's wrong with the car and be able to fixed it yourself right away and get it passed through inspection ONCE. MD inspection ain't cheap you know.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I received a SERO in June for a brake light out. I had worked for about an hour over the weekend fixing the brake light on the opposite side, so I was :confused: when he stated it was the other side.

You have 10 days to have the repair done, and 30 to have it signed off and sent to Glen Burne MSP HQ.

With headlights, somtimes you have to get a certified MD inspector to check aim, I think.

iamgregor

quote]

What next inspection? Your vehicle goes through the MD inspection once you purchase the vehicle. I don't know where you came from. I know in Virginia, the inspection happens every year (or is it every two years?) but the VA inspection is not as strict as MD inspection.

Right... Duh. I forgot that's a one-time thing.