$7.50 per hour St Mary's Co School substitute???

This is what St Mary's Co Public Schools pay substitutes. I was not hired for a job I applied for and thought I'd do that and wait for something else to come up. What are they getting for that kind of money and no benifits??? I called Calvert Co and will make $20.00 more per day there. I mean people in McDonalds make more than $7.50 per hour.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
You're not going to get rich substituting.

It's a job, nothing more.

Not even that. Most subs don't even have teaching degrees, they are basically volunteers. I looked at the program before and thought it was a great opportunity to give to the community if you are college educated and have the free time.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Not even that. Most subs don't even have teaching degrees, they are basically volunteers. I looked at the program before and thought it was a great opportunity to give to the community if you are college educated and have the free time.
I might be doing it if I don't hear a call.

It will look good on the resume for next year and will add to my experience.

puggymom

I subbed when I first moved here (and was 25 weeks pregnant). I thought it would be a little odd to be applying for jobs like that :lmao:. I waited until I had my daughter which was good because I ended up being a stay at home mom.

Cowgirl

In VT you have to have 2 yrs of college to sub, and in NC I think you have to have a degree. I'm sure there are other states that are the same way.

Appletini

Well gee...

If that's all they're paying substitutes, now we know why the youths are so misguided in this area. How can they expect community volunteers to provide the education that someone with a college degree otherwise might provide. I can see someone with a high school diploma teaching elementary school kids, but not high school kids.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
This is what St Mary's Co Public Schools pay substitutes. I was not hired for a job I applied for and thought I'd do that and wait for something else to come up. What are they getting for that kind of money and no benifits??? I called Calvert Co and will make $20.00 more per day there. I mean people in McDonalds make more than $7.50 per hour.

I was a middle school substitute 30 years ago. My 7th grade biology teacher was my boss (Principal). It was like hyped up babysitting. I can't imagine what it's like today.

caramelalb

I have a neighbor who was a substitute when she first moved here until she found a "real" job. She was at a high school and a fight broke out and a chair was thrown by a student and hit her in the head. She was covered by her husband's heath plan but incurred a couple hundred dollars "out of pocket" expences. Schools would not help her with any of the expences. They told her she was a "contract" employee and wasn't covered for anything.

Cowgirl

If that's all they're paying substitutes, now we know why the youths are so misguided in this area. How can they expect community volunteers to provide the education that someone with a college degree otherwise might provide. I can see someone with a high school diploma teaching elementary school kids, but not high school kids.

Oh yes, the youths are misguided because of the substitutes. :rolleyes:

caramelalb

You get what you pay for. At $7.50 per hour you are getting exactly what you pay for. I pay a teenager $10.00 per hour for babysitting my youngen's....I can't imagine what kind of "professionals" they are getting for $7.50 per hour.

Last edited:

Appletini

That's exactly my point. I mean, I'm sure the people that sign up for these positions want to provide a good service, but come on. That's not enough motivation. Especially not after taking a chair to the head. And as for the comment from Cowgirl, I think the problem starts in the home with the parents, but you would hope that the schools would give them some sort of direction as a secondary attempt to steer them the correct way.

Toxick

Splat

Yeah - but think - if you're subbing in, say, a high school, while you're on the school grounds you can suppliment your meager income by selling pot...

...holders.

Made of hemp.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
What do they do in cases where they need a sub more than a day or two?

:shrug:

I know most of the subs we had when I was in HS were either college students or parents who had children in that school. The one time I recall having a long term sub (while regular teacher was on exchange trip) a student teacher filled in.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
What do they do in cases where they need a sub more than a day or two?

It's an on-call job. With scheduled leaves you'd get a call in advance otherwise you get the call in the morning.

Appletini

Oo Babysitting days...

I usually got $10 or more when I was babysitting. $10 was the minimum. Sometimes people would volunteer to pay more. And yea, all the frozen pizza I wanted. Ha.