cocker spaniel needs a home

charlie

10 yr. old cocker spaniel needs a home. Would be great protection and companion for a woman living alone.

watercolor

yeah yeah
That is a precious dog!!!! I wish I could take him! MAN! I wish I could!!!!!

What is the reason you are getting rid of him :(

G

giggles04

Isn't that just the cutest face!!?!!?!? I wish that I could take him too... but already have a dog!!!

B

Beach Patrol

Oh I could just kiss his little puppy face all over!!! What a little sweetie pie!!!! I wish I could have a hundred dogs!!!! I love dogs!!!!

charlie

This 10 yr. old dog needs a new home because he belonged to my kids and now they have left home and my husband and I run a business and we are away 12-14 hrs at a time. If anyone knows cockers they know they like a lot of attention and I hate leaving him home alone. My neighbors come over and walk him during the day but it's not the same. Thanks for the interest. He is very cute.

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
I have to agree with Appy...cockers are very sensitive (I have a 10-yr-old cocker myself!) and he would be devasted by a change of venue at this point...

Just some other suggestions you might want to consider...

Do you have a neighbor older kid or teen who could play "surrogate doggy parent" to him in the afternoons/early evenings until you get home?? How about an elderly neighbor who might enjoy the dog's company during the day? Could you set up your garage or porch with a doggie door out to a temporary dog run so he can relieve himself while you're away? You can always leave a radio playing on talk radio and rotate his toys to help alleviate his loneliness during the day – it will probably be easier on him than adjusting to a new home...

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I also feel its cruel to just give up on an elderly dog. I have a 10 year old, and an 11 year old and they are just like my children. Its hard but I can't imagine passing them off to anyone else. I feel you might as well just put him down if you are willing to do that b/c you don't deserve him anyway. If you can't find him a home you let me know and I will take care of your responsiblity. Someone needs to.

I am curious to see what you will do when your parents are in need of constant care and you are so busy. I bet you would pay a little extra for someone for them wouldn't you? So why won't you do the same for you dog? They love you just the same.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Why is that unreasonable. I love my animals more than I love some people. In fact I'd rather have dogs than children. There are some people out there who value their animals just as much as humans. If you don't do the same, then why even have a dog?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
A little off topic but putting an animal down at the right time is a great gift you can give your pet. It's a shame we can't (legally) do the same for our human loved ones.

At the risk of have Jet call me smarmy or some such thing, I'm attaching a great poem for that difficult time. I have 13 year old Golden and I know the time is coming. As sad as the poem is, it really does help.

http://www.superdog.com/petloss/if_it_be.htm

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well you are certinally entitled to your opinion cariblue, but so am I. I don't agree with you but neither of us have to. From what I read the only reason they are getting rid of him is b/c they don't have time for him. They said nothing about their situation. If there are other reasons then thats different but that was not the reason they gave when asked. I just feel they are backing out for convience not necessity. If there is nothing wrong with the dog, then just pay someone to come for a half hour and play with him. A teenager will not be expensive in fact I spend more on gas then I do for my neighbor to let my dogs out and play with them during the day.