St. Marys county race for Sheriff

mdemt

Not all of the candidates for Sheriff in St. Marys county is illegally posting thier campaign signs all over the county. Dan Morris seems to think it is ok for him go rent huge billboards to advertise his campaign prior to the July 27 date. Since Mr. Morris seems to enjoy breaking the law himself I would never consider voting for him! I have talked with most of the candidates that are running for sheriff and found my candidate of choice is Tom Sacks. Tom is eager and willing to take time to talk with anyone who has questions about himself or his campaign platform. If you would like more info on Tom Sacks check out his website www.sacksforsheriff.com

Sweetie

:cheers: It's time for a change instead of the same old hum drum "Deputy" running the Sheriff's Office. The other candidates insist you have to be born, raised, and live in St. Mary's County. I say its a bunch of hogwash. This county has grown tremendously over the last 10 years, new contractors, buldings and people from all walks of life.

Tom brings with him over 23 years of law enforcement experience, professional, and managerial skills needed to run an agency effective. What qualification do the other candidates have to equal Tom's, none.

My Choice for Sheriff: Tom Sacks

Sweetie

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by mdemt
Not all of the candidates for Sheriff in St. Marys county is illegally posting thier campaign signs all over the county. Dan Morris seems to think it is ok for him go rent huge billboards to advertise his campaign prior to the July 27 date. Since Mr. Morris seems to enjoy breaking the law himself I would never consider voting for him! I have talked with most of the candidates that are running for sheriff and found my candidate of choice is Tom Sacks. Tom is eager and willing to take time to talk with anyone who has questions about himself or his campaign platform. If you would like more info on Tom Sacks check out his website www.sacksforsheriff.com

You say this is illegal, can you show where you have found that? What I have found is that the Maryland Election Commision does not have any regulations or laws about campaign signs, they leave it to the SHA. The SHA only deals with those signs within the right of way. The Planning and Zoning regulations state that election signs are exempt from the rules of the regulation if posted within 45 days of the election and removed either 15 days after losing the primary or 15 days after the general election. If the candidate chooses they can pay the fee for a permit to erect a sign and then there are no indications that the 45 day rule applies.

While you might not like the fact that a candidate is campaigning early it might not be illegal.

Sheriff's signs

Hey mdemt,

If you're so concerned about illegally posted signs, Sacks still has a sign on the fence at the Back Road Inn that is illegally posted. He was specifically told to get his signs down as reported by the Enterprise. You should look again if Sacks is your choice for Sheriff.:boo:

Originally posted by Sweetie
:cheers: It's time for a change instead of the same old hum drum "Deputy" running the Sheriff's Office. The other candidates insist you have to be born, raised, and live in St. Mary's County. I say its a bunch of hogwash. This county has grown tremendously over the last 10 years, new contractors, buldings and people from all walks of life.

Tom brings with him over 23 years of law enforcement experience, professional, and managerial skills needed to run an agency effective. What qualification do the other candidates have to equal Tom's, none.

My Choice for Sheriff: Tom Sacks

Sweetie

It is time for a change, you're right, but not for a retired DC cop or PG cop. Those candidates who have spent their career serving St. Mary's County have a definate advantage over someone coming from an outside agency. They know the policies and procedures, they know the officers and they know the county. If you think Sacks is the only qualified candidate you haven't looked at Zylak's website. He has the experience (administrative and street), the knowledge and commitment. Zylak is the only choice if you take the time and look.

firefighter6

Originally posted by Blues Brother

It is time for a change, you're right, but not for a retired DC cop or PG cop. Those candidates who have spent their career serving St. Mary's County have a definate advantage over someone coming from an outside agency. They know the policies and procedures, they know the officers and they know the county. If you think Sacks is the only qualified candidate you haven't looked at Zylak's website. He has the experience (administrative and street), the knowledge and commitment. Zylak is the only choice if you take the time and look.

:clap: :clap: :yay: :yay:

G

giggles04

I must say that Zylak will be getting my vote!

chuckster

IMFUBARED

It is time for a change, you're right, but not for a retired DC cop or PG cop. Those candidates who have spent their career serving St. Mary's County have a definate advantage over someone coming from an outside agency. They know the policies and procedures, they know the officers and they know the county.

I think that we need some new blood in the sheriffs office. There seems to be to much of the good ole boy political game playing in the department now.
I thionk that we should wait and see how many fellow officers take the fall with Captin Dolan. As it stands right now $80,000. of property is missing and that is only from one case. I think that some feathers are going to fly over this one.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
I have to say I haven't made my choice as far as a vote, but Tom Sacks doesn't sit well with me. I don't like the idea of someone being on disability and collecting money from another county, supposedly unable to work, and he's going to be able to perform in this county as a sheriff? Putting up illegal signs is no reason to vote or not vote for someone. If I were voting tomorrow, it would be Morris. I kind of like the idea of a marine background and someone who isn't part of the current sheriff's office.

bad1032

Zylak for Sheriff

I must say.Dave Zylak is the only way to vote.If you attend any forum and listen to them speak. The others have no CLUE.Its time for a change and it is with Zylak....:D

chuckster

IMFUBARED
blueeyes76 - the article below is from the Washington Post from today. I am sorry if I upset you but there are a bunch of things going on behind the doors of our Sheriffs Dept that not everyone knows about. We need someone to come in and get this department back on track and I don't think that you will find that person from the ranks of the current department.
What is also strange is that EMA has the propert listed as retured on their books. Wonder how that happened?
Look I have friends on the department also and I hope that the charges are false. It would be sad to have spent 18years at a job and wind up in this situation.

By Michael Amon
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, July 24, 2002; Page B04
The second-in-command of the St. Mary's County sheriff's office has been
suspended from his post and his police powers revoked as the Maryland state
prosecutor investigates whether he is involved in the alleged disappearance
of property worth as much as $80,000 that was seized as part of a theft
case.
Sheriff Richard J. Voorhaar (R) said he suspended Capt. Steven M. Doolan, an
18-year veteran of the department who has been his assistant sheriff for
three years, with pay Friday because of the seriousness of the allegations.
Voorhaar said he asked for the investigation of the missing property.
"It's just procedure when things like this happen, particularly because of
the position he's in," Voorhaar said. "He's in charge of the sheriff's
office when I'm not here. There's some seriousness to the investigation."
The suspension was first reported in Tuesday's edition of St. Mary's Today.
The state prosecutor's office, which probes cases of misconduct by
government officials, is investigating how the property of Wendell I. Ford
disappeared after being seized by sheriff's detectives during a search of
his Lexington Park home in 1999 when they were investigating Ford concerning
a series of alleged thefts.
Ford, 35, was charged with two counts of theft over $300 for the alleged
theft of a dishwasher and a door, but the charges were dropped in 2000 by
the St. Mary's County state's attorney's office, according to court
documents.
For two years, Ford was unsuccessful in informal attempts to get back his
property, which mostly included building materials such as lumber, as well
as the dishwasher, door and several firearms, said his attorney, A. Shane
Mattingly. This year, Ford filed a court motion, and District Court Judge
John F. Slade granted it March 25, ordering the sheriff's office to return
all the property to Ford except the firearms.
Law enforcement sources said the property was worth about $80,000, but
Voorhaar disputed that figure.
The amount of property seized from Ford was so large it had to be kept in
trailers separate from the department's property room, but the sheriff's
office has been unable to comply with Slade's order because it no longer has
the property, law enforcement sources said.
Doolan's alleged involvement in the disappearance is unclear. Voorhaar and
State Prosecutor Stephen Montanarelli declined to comment on the details of
the case. Doolan declined to comment when contacted by phone.
Veteran sheriff's deputies said Doolan is one of a few members of the
sheriff's office who had the authority to order seized property to be taken
out of custody.
Doolan has accrued more power in the sheriff's office this year as Voorhaar
readies for retirement. His suspension surprised many deputies because over
the past 7 1/2 years, Doolan had risen quickly through the ranks to become
commander of the criminal investigations division before being appointed
assistant sheriff in 1999.
Ford is facing charges in District Court of assaulting a 12-year-old boy and
writing bad checks. No one answered at a phone number Ford listed on court
documents as his home number.
"He's not looking to go on a crusade here," Mattingly said. "He just wants
his stuff back."

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by blueeyes76
i agree that the EMA connection is rather odd, and i am sure there are lots of things going on behind closed doors that the public does not and never will know about.

I didn't see anything in the posted article about an EMA connection - could you enlighten me? :confused:

Last edited:

bad1032

Your right about him being a jerk.the coneection is true..I will leave it at that.The whole story will be out someday.:D

FIREMAN

it's doolan, not dolan. he happens to be a very good friend of mine and i hate to think he had anything to do with this property disappearing.

I've known Steve for a while and I would be surprised if he had anything to do with it. But you can't never tell. It's a shame how St. Mary's Today goes after people.

FIREMAN

especially steven, he's been one of ken rossignol's targets for as long as i can remember.

I think Ken Rossignal alternates between Voorhaar, Doolan, the County Comission.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Not fair guys. Ken reports the news ... he is not going after anyone. He tells the stories the way they are without worrying about the Good Ole Boys. Just because this is a story about someone you know, it's Ken fault?. Ken has done articles about friends of mine also ,,, that is the way it is. 9 times out of 10 he reports it first and then the Post, Emptyprise etc run with it.
Bet nobody noticed that 98.3 didn't even run this story until the next day.

bad1032

Ken has a thing for the sheriffs office.They dont cater to him like others do.:D Alot of you are saying you know Doolan if so then you would know what the connection is.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by bad1032
Ken has a thing for the sheriffs office.They dont cater to him like others do.:D Alot of you are saying you know Doolan if so then you would know what the connection is.

Gee, would it have something to do with the Security Office at EMA?

Sweetie

Yes, I have looked at Dave's website (as well as all the candidates websites) and it doesn't impress me at all. Have you looked at Toms? His administrative experience far surpasses Daves and the other candidates. If you think Dave is capable of running the Sheriff's Office, then ask why was he removed from the Detention Center after two year. If he can't manage a 5 million dollar facility, how can he possibily run the Sheriff's Office.

Sweetie