Tractor Trailer goes off Bay Bridge - 3 car ....

Cabbage

3 vehicle incident, 2 from one auto taken out in serious condition, one auto driver ok, tractor trailer went over bay bridge and driver is dead... Happened 3:55am and I think traffic is backed up for many miles in both directions because one bridge is closed.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I just got home from it....I was going east this morning to Delaware....It took me a little over 3hrs to go 2.9 miles....I finally made it up to Sandy Point exit and took it and came back home...I am sooooo tired of just sitting....Once you go past the WaWa, you can't get off....When I finally got turned around and heading west, I checked and traffic was backed up for 10 miles...BUMPER TO BUMPER...:burning:

M

Mousebaby

Hubby just called, he said anyone planning to get on 50 forget about it! It's backed up all the way to Severn River Bridge. :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

onebdzee

off the shelf

*putting on accident investigators hat*

I've looked at the pictures and my conclusion is this....

There are tire marks from where the truck was in the lane and looks as though he locked up his brakes....the camaro has front end damage....that span of the bridge was 2-way traffic at the time

My guess since this happened so early in the morning, the driver of the car fell asleep and/or drifted into the trucks path....the truck locked up his brakes to try to avoid hitting the car and ended up losing control of his vehicle(60 down to 0 anyone would lose control of that much weight behind them)....thus, hitting the "retaining wall"(doesn't make much sense since it didn't retain him on the bridge) and the car(driver side damage)....the other car probably got hit with either the tandums or the front axle(rear driver side damage)

On impact to the wall, he lost his front axle when the wall busted(doesn't hold up real well to 80,000lbs hitting it) as he went thru the trailer caught the wall and the weight of the vehicle yanked the back tandums off the trailer

No citation will be issued because they will ultimately blame the driver of the truck(in cases like this, the truck driver always gets blame) :ohwell:

I should be a cop

*putting on accident investigators hat*

I've looked at the pictures and my conclusion is this....

There are tire marks from where the truck was in the lane and looks as though he locked up his brakes....the camaro has front end damage....that span of the bridge was 2-way traffic at the time

My guess since this happened so early in the morning, the driver of the car fell asleep and/or drifted into the trucks path....the truck locked up his brakes to try to avoid hitting the car and ended up losing control of his vehicle(60 down to 0 anyone would lose control of that much weight behind them)....thus, hitting the "retaining wall"(doesn't make much sense since it didn't retain him on the bridge) and the car(driver side damage)....the other car probably got hit with either the tandums or the front axle(rear driver side damage)

On impact to the wall, he lost his front axle when the wall busted(doesn't hold up real well to 80,000lbs hitting it) as he went thru the trailer caught the wall and the weight of the vehicle yanked the back tandums off the trailer

No citation will be issued because they will ultimately blame the driver of the truck(in cases like this, the truck driver always gets blame) :ohwell:

I should be a cop

I pretty much agree, except that the truck cab busted thru the wall and the trailer slid along the wall for a while (marks on the wall, wet (assuming fuel) marks for a distance). That's when the tandem wheels got ripped off before going over.

We'll have to see what the final report says....

M

Mousebaby

I pretty much agree, except that the truck cab busted thru the wall and the trailer slid along the wall for a while (marks on the wall, wet (assuming fuel) marks for a distance). That's when the tandem wheels got ripped off before going over.

Either way, it's freaky as hell to think about what was going through that poor truckers mind when it all started happening. RIP :frown:

onebdzee

off the shelf

I guess I assumed that most would think that the statement "as he went thru the trailer caught the wall and the weight of the vehicle yanked the back tandums off the trailer" would mean that it was the other side of the wall not the part that he just went thru....silly me :rolleyes:

I guess I assumed that most would think that the statement "as he went thru the trailer caught the wall and the weight of the vehicle yanked the back tandums off the trailer" would mean that it was the other side of the wall not the part that he just went thru....silly me :rolleyes:

Don't get defensive..... wasn't sure that was exactly your take on it. I could see where someone might think the trailer followed the cab thru the break and into the water.

My apologizes....

M

Mousebaby

Don't get defensive..... wasn't sure that was exactly your take on it. I could see where someone might think the trailer followed the cab thru the break and into the water.

My apologizes....

You drinkin? :confused:

onebdzee

off the shelf

My apologizes....

I'm not getting defensive....just assumed that most know that if you are dragging a trailer it will follow the vehicle and not necessarily a straight path like a vehicle that isn't dragging a trailer