Mulching

jeneisen

Indy Bound
We bought a house last year that has a lot of landscaping and the previous owners used that red color mulch. Well what I am wondering is that it needs to be pulled out and fresh mulch put in. Is it better to do it before winter to keep the plants warm, or should I just leave the old stuff down for now and do it early next spring?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I would leave the old stuff there and then replace it in the spring.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Build up the mulch around rose bushes and any tender perennials or they will die over the winter, everything else just leave.

huzzyone

tender perennials

Hey jlabsher,
What do you consider tender perennials. I just put together a rock garden over the summer and wonder which plants need extra mulch? Thanks

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I do it on most perennials. I lived in the midwest before where it got colder than in SOMD. Did a google on "mulching perennials" and found several articles, not mentioning specific plants, but saying to do it to all perennials to prevent the freeze/thaw cycle. Of course those were all from county extension agencies in the north & midwest. I do it, cause it doesn't hurt.

Last edited:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
When you purchase bags of mulch, you should say "Thank you very Mulch" to the person selling it to you, cause I bet you they'd find that pretty funny and appreciate your manners.

Originally posted by Hello6
I heard it fed the termites.
They have plenty to eat in the new mulch, so don't worry about the old stuff. If you have them in your mulch, make sure your house is protected.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
You can always get the cocoa nut shells like they use up in PA that won't draw termints, smells purty! Or cyprus/ceder don't draw bugs either.

K-Lady

I have a question somewhat related to this. The people who lived in the house before us have that red rock down around the flowerbed. Is that better than mulch? We're wondering if we should get rid of the rock and put down mulch.

Thanks!

Vince

Colored rock is OK for decoration, but that's about all. Mulch will hold the moisture in your flower beds or whatever you have planted there. Depending on where you live I can tell you where to get your mulch. Don't buy it in bags unless you just need a little. I get it by the truckload for about $125 delivered. Thomas Hance, he's in the phone book.

You can get mulch for FREE from the landfill. You pull your truck or trailer up and they dump a bucket load in. It's storm debris, county tree trimming, people's yard waste, etc. that has been brought to the dump, and then ground up at the dump. It is strictly first come, first served. Best bet is to call first. We got 4 or so trailer loads from the Charles County landfill last summer. Need to get atleast that much again this year. I think I may also get a load to just dump in the woods to turn into dirt for next year. The only problem with this mulch is that it will still have some minor trash in it (pieces of plastic bags) from when it was taken to the dump.