More eBay Abuse

SxyPrincess

Just rec'd the following e-mail...:rolleyes:

Dear eBay user,

During our regular update and verification of the accounts, we were not able to verify your current account information, either your information has changed or it is incomplete. Please update and verify your information by filling out the verification form. If the account information is not updated within 5 days then your access to bid and buy on eBay will be restricted. Click on the link below to complete the verification:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?Verify&id=4152500162

*** PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL ***

Thank you
Account Managment

As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright 2002 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay, Inc.

John Z

if you will
Hmm, are you saying this is not legitimate? Looks legitimate to me (not a fake site trying to get your credit card number). I don't know what they want (when I click on link I get an error) however... :shrug:

SxyPrincess

That is weird. When I click on the link, it does look legit however, the first time 'eBay' wasn't in the url anywhere. :shrug: :confused:

Jollymon

E-Bay user here, I haven't received any emails from them lately. I wouldn't respond, the worse that can happen is you have to re-register. They won't permanently disable you from using the site, that would be like cutting off their nose to spite their own face.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Its fake, I got one just like it from earthlink a few months back. Look for the secure padlock icon in the bottom of your browser it isn't there, not a secure page, not an ebay page.

Jollymon

Just checked out the original page you received, why would they need your Social Security Number and bank account info? When I use PayPal I use a credit card, no SSN or bank acct info required. Be careful.:eek:

I don't even remember giving them this info when I registered with them. Is it even legal for them to ask for your Social, I didn't think it was?

SpecV

Do not do this

:boo:
This is a fake email. Do not respond to this! This is a scam!

I would advise strongly against entering any information you get from email like this. I would call ebay and ask them about this email.

If you do an whois lookup on the IP address you will see this site is hosted at Asia Pacific Network Information Centre. Try taking out the verify from the url and see what page you get. Its all in chinese or japanese. Ebay is a california based company.

I hate scams like this. :burning:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
In my original e-mail, here is the link it brings me to...http://210.196.162.250/verify/
I clicked on the link (I didn't fill in the form) and skimmed to the bottom and pressed continue. Usually forms require you to fill in missing info, this did not; then it linked back to ebay.

Last edited:

willie

I got it also and there is a lot more than one crook doing this. I don't understand why ebay doesn't track them down and make a BIG example out of them.