Where are the best crab cakes?

Bertha Venation

I couldn't decide if I should put this in the "restaurant," "chit chat," or "religion" forum. Since the answer has a direct bearing on "life in Southern Maryland," I decided on this one.

What restaurant in So MD has the best crab cakes? I really like the ones at Mike's American Grill in Springfield, but that's too far to go when I have a yen.

I've already tried Cap'n Billy's crabcakes. IMO, they're miserable crab-flavored hushpuppies.

kane34.gif
(Thanks to the newbie Crabcake! for reminding me of this question I've been dying to ask!)
kane34.gif

mainman

Set Trippin
When you have found the answer. I might wanna tag along. I love a good crabcake....:biggrin:
BTW, how are you doin?

Bertha Venation

Re: Re: Where are the best crab cakes?

Originally posted by mainman
When you have found the answer. I might wanna tag along. I love a good crabcake....:biggrin:
BTW, how are you doin?
Very well, and thanks for asking. I honestly have no business even thinking about crab cakes. Do you know how much cholesterol is in those things?? :yum:

When I find the best ones, it's a date. Hope you like threesomes. For dining! On food! :wink:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Stoney's. The best crabcakes I've ever had. Actually, it would be fun to get a group together and go. Not that I'll ever get down there...*sniff*

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Does crab have a lot of cholesterol?
Originally posted by mainman
maybe shes talking about the junk some places fill them up with....:shrug:

3 oz cooked blue crab contains 85 mg of cholesterol, same as a Big Mac, a double cheeseburger, or 10 mcnuggets from Mickey D's. :yikes:

But I love it. I can't imagine what my new favorite food would be if I'd moved to, say, Toledo.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by *archimedes*
Anybody get them from Clark's Landing?

I came up with my dad the weekend before I moved to drop off stuff in storage. Everyone said go to Clarks. I had the crab imperial and he had the crab cakes. The crab imperial was good but the crab cakes IMO were just ok. They were 100% crab, mounds of it with nothing else. Don't know how they bound it together to broil or fry it but they did.

Bertha Venation

Stoney's. The best crabcakes I've ever had. Actually, it would be fun to get a group together and go. Not that I'll ever get down there...*sniff*
It surely would. Where is Stoney's? (Remember, I'm in the great white north... Waldorf.)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Stoney's has a couple of locations now. The Broomes Island one is my favorite but you can get the same food at the Prince Frederick location. And I think they just opened somewhere on Solomons - Kingfisher, I think?

Pete, I'm surprised you didn't like Clark's crabcakes. Those might be my second favorite, but I'd have to think about it.

http

Without reading any other prior post, because it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, the fact is, Stoney's is the one and only. Believe me. They are so big and packed, they fall apart even before they get to your plate. Crab"cake" is not really an accurate description.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Crabcakes? The ones you get at Cedar Point O Club aren't too bad, the ones from the Roost are okay, Willows is better, but my favorite are from Oakwood Lodge. I haven't tried Mattie's in a while but I know the cook and she makes killer crabcakes too.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I think Stoneys' crabcakes are the best too.

Funny, I got to a lot places in DC for lunch and they insist they have the best crabcakes....McCormick & Schmick, Legal Seafood and Georgetown Seafood...nope..sorry guys...

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
Sorry, but to me crab cakes = most overrated thing on a seafood menu. Much rather have crab dip or crab toast, although it's hard to find good ones around here. Some places in OC have killer crab dip. I mean, cakes are good, but it's not something I go out of the way to get.

Frank

Chairman of the Board

Seconded. Stoney's is the best, period.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tipsy, have you ever had Stoney's? I didn't even like crabcakes when I first came to Maryland - that's a foreign food to me. Every time I tried one, it was this stringy, bready mess that was unstuck from it's freezer paper and plopped into a deep fryer. Then a friend took me to Stoney's and I realized I DO like crabcakes after all. :lol: They do theirs with lump crabmeat instead of that backfin crap. Very little binder. :yum: