Jessica Lynch honorably discharged from Army

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
CHARLESTON, West Virginia (AP) -- Jessica Lynch, the former prisoner of war who became a national hero when special forces rescued her from an Iraqi hospital, has been honorably discharged from the U.S. Army, her lawyer said Wednesday.

"As of the now, she is not a member of the military anymore," Stephen Goodwin of Charleston said.

The medical discharge clears the way for Lynch to pursue possible book or movie deals about her ordeal, Goodwin said. Though she has not spoken publicly about her time in Iraq, Lynch has said through a spokesman that she plans to tell her story in a book to be published by the end of the year.

"Like any citizen, she is now free to enter into a contract," Goodwin said.

Lynch, 20, suffered multiple broken bones and other injuries when her 507th Maintenance Company was ambushed in the southern Iraqi city of Nasiriyah on March 23.

Her rescue on April 1 made a celebrity out of Lynch, who joined the Army to get an education and become a kindergarten teacher.

She returned home last month to a hero's welcome after a long stay at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in the nation's capital. She revisited the hospital for the first time last week for a checkup, and was granted the discharge during that trip.

Lynch will continue physical therapy at Camden-Clark Memorial Hospital in Parkersburg. She can walk with crutches, but is still recovering.

She hopes to improve enough to travel to Colorado in November to celebrate Thanksgiving with her fiance, Army Sgt. Ruben Contreras Jr., and his family.

Goodwin said Lynch had not signed a book deal with anyone as of Wednesday, although Pulitzer Prize-winning author and former New York Times reporter Rick Bragg has been a guest at the Lynch home to do research. The Times has reported Bragg will be paid $1 million to tell Lynch's story.

NBC plans a TV movie starring Laura Regan that has been developed without Lynch's authorization, while CBS abandoned its plans for a Lynch movie.

Goodwin said he wasn't sure if Lynch is receiving medical disability. Calls to the U.S. Army were not immediately returned Wednesday.

D

Dals_daddy

Jessica Lynch

OUTSTANDING!!!! This just goes to show how strong willed women can be. I spent only a little time in the USMC, but I can assure you that some of the badest Marines out there are Women. Although Jessica was not a Marine, she is still a soldier, and a true American Hero. Like Martin would say "You Go Girl"!!!!

I think everyone in the Country would agree with me in saying 'Jessica (and all of the other members of the Armed Forces, serving in other parts of the world, or guarding our Homefront) THANK YOU'!!!!!!

Jollymon

:patriot:

My dad is stationed in New Jersey right now, been there since Februrary supporting the war in Iraq - getting ready to be deployed to Iraq soon---our prayers go out to all of the soldiers and their families and friends!!

I think this is total :bs: If they had maintained their weapons and knew how to read a map, they would not have gotten lost and then captured. None of her injuries are debilitating. She should have done all her time in, and gotten a standard honorable discharge. None of this special crap, and govt. handouts.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by huntr1
I think this is total :bs:
I'll take up your cause, Hunter. Why was she discharged? Because of medical disability? I thought she just had a broken arm or something.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Why was she discharged? Because of medical disability? I thought she just had a broken arm or something.

clipped from a news article dated yesterday...."Lynch will continue physical therapy at Camden-Clark Memorial Hospital in Parkersburg. She can walk with crutches, but is still recovering."

Doesn't seem unreasonable to discharge her if she is still on crutches and having therapy 4 months after being rescued. I'm not sure if this is special treatment or not, I would tend to believe a guy in the same position would be discharged too.

Vince

Having spent a little time in the military myself I do know that they won't discharge you if you are still in rehabilitation, unless it's a medical discharge. And the discharge would read medical, not honorable. Just a difference in wording. Nothing bad about a medical discharge, except 99.9% of the time they won't discharge you if you're still not healed up.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Vince,

They changed that some time ago and it will read Honorable. It will be coded for the medical discharge, down in the re-enlistment eligibility code area. It is possible that she only entered under a two or three year contract and that is over. Unknown to me, nor do I care.

This story was hyped way too much for me. They get lost, hadn't maintained their arms properly, didn't have a functioning radio or GPS, didn't receive a throrough brief and know the plan, and then call her a hero. She is no more of a hero then any of the thousands of troops that served over there and are still serving over there.

Vince

Originally posted by Ken King
Vince,

They changed that some time ago and it will read Honorable. It will be coded for the medical discharge, down in the re-enlistment eligibility code area. It is possible that she only entered under a two or three year contract and that is over. Unknown to me, nor do I care.

This story was hyped way too much for me. They get lost, hadn't maintained their arms properly, didn't have a functioning radio or GPS, didn't receive a throrough brief and know the plan, and then call her a hero. She is no more of a hero then any of the thousands of troops that served over there and are still serving over there.

Guess I've been retired too long. But I do agree with you about the publicity on this woman. Overdone just due to the fact she is a woman in a combat situation.

Pete

Repete
I can't wait for the "Movie of the week" to come out. She will be played by some turbo hottie, machine gun belts slung around each arm, a K-bar clenched between her teeth, mowing down 250 Iraqi soldiers before she tosses the machine gun because the barrel melted and stabs 50 more, then fights anothe 20 with a pipe wrench she grabbed off one of the trucks. Only to be knocked unconcious by a direct hit from an 88mm tank shell.

Of course all the others on the truck will be portrayed as either stupid or retarded and they will not listen to her when she tries to give them directions in the first place which gets them into the mess.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Pete
I can't wait for the "Movie of the week" to come out.
I'm seeing Angelina Jolie. It's embarrassing that we're so vapid in this country that we Hollywood-ize everything we get our grubby mitts on. However. If she can make a couple of bucks selling her story to the oooh-ahhhhh crowd, more power to her. I'd do the same if I were in her combat boots. :cheers:

As an aside, I found it offensive that they kept playing up her "poor" background. Like the Harvard alums send their daughters off to boot camp. :duh: The scribblers were having a field day - "Ohhh! Poor people!" :shocking:

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
I'm sure a lot of guys injured in the war have gotten medical discharges too.......

I agree, The hero bit is getting a bit old...

The true hero's are those who didn't return and didn't get the privledge of "rehabilitation"....

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Pete
I can't wait for the "Movie of the week" to come out. She will be played by some turbo hottie, machine gun belts slung around each arm, a K-bar clenched between her teeth....
You write for Hollywood, don't you? :roflmao:

tff

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
The real reason she was discharged?

Originally posted by Sharon

"As of the now, she is not a member of the military anymore," Stephen Goodwin of Charleston said.

The medical discharge clears the way for Lynch to pursue possible book or movie deals about her ordeal, Goodwin said.

"Like any citizen, she is now free to enter into a contract," Goodwin said.

Seems like a deal was already in the works:

NEW YORK (AP) — Jessica Lynch, the former prisoner of war whose capture and rescue from an Iraqi hospital made her a national hero, has agreed to a $1 million book deal with publisher Alfred A. Knopf.

"Many folks have written, expressing their support for me and for the thousands of other soldiers who serve their country," Lynch said in a statement issued Tuesday by Knopf.

"I feel I owe them all this story, which will be about more than a girl going off to war and fighting alongside her fellow soldiers. It will be a story about growing up in America."

"I Am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story," co-written by Pulitzer Prize winner Rick Bragg, is scheduled to come out in mid-November with a first printing of around 500,000 copies, Knopf spokesman Paul Bogaards said.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but a source close to the negotiations said Lynch and Bragg will divide a $1 million advance. The source spoke on condition of anonymity.

"I feel a kinship with Jessica and her family, and am thrilled at the prospect of bringing this story to the wider world," Bragg said in the statement issued by Knopf. He has been granted exclusive access to Lynch and her family.

Lynch received a medical discharge last week from the Army, making her eligible to pursue book or movie deals.

Lynch, 20, suffered multiple broken bones and other injuries when her 507th Maintenance Company was ambushed in the southern Iraqi city of Nasiriyah on March 23.

Her rescue on April 1 made her a celebrity. She joined the Army to get an education and become a kindergarten teacher.

She returned home to Palestine, W.Va., in July to a hero's welcome after a long stay at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

"I am feeling better every day, and all the good wishes of the many who have written have certainly kept my spirits up," Lynch said. "I am walking with crutches, but my doctors tell me that as I gain strength I will be able to walk on my own again soon. I am looking forward to those first steps."

Bragg has written several books, including the memoir "All Over but the Shoutin'," and won the feature-writing Pulitzer in 1996, two years after he began working for The New York Times. He resigned from the Times in May after the newspaper suspended him over a story that carried his byline but was reported largely by a freelancer.

B

Bruzilla

Hmmm... she's young, pretty, blonde, and wearing the uniform of our country. She's taken prisoner during combat by an enemy that has very little reguard for their own women, or women in general, yet along one serving in the Army of their enemy. I can't imagine how horrific that experience must have been for her, and I think if we're going to fly the BS flag for anyone it should be for you CNN warriors who are sitting here throwing stones at someone who was out there. That's pretty contemptable behavior as far as I'm concerned.

I've never been a POW, but I went through Navy Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) school, and even though that was just a training environment it was bad enough. If you want to cast dispersions on someone why not attack the guy (or gal) that was in charge? Why crap on a PFC that's sitting in the truck thinking her chain-of-command knows what it's doing?

I agree that the story was over-hyped, but who did the over-hyping? It wasn't Lynch, it wasn't the Army or the DoD... they always said they didn't know what happened. If you want to crap on someone for that aspect of the story, go crap on the reporters and news managers that ran around asking a lot of supposed "insiders" who were more into looking important than knowing the facts.

I think you'all are attacking the wrong person, and the person who you are wrongfully attacking is someone who's lived through something I doubt most of you would have been able to handle under the same circumstances.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Re: The real reason she was discharged?

Originally posted by Sharon
"I feel I owe them all this story

She's getting paid a million for her story and she feels like she ows us it, isn't it more like for that price tag we owe her:shrug: