Just don't seem right

abbfan

A friend of mine has been renting a house for a long time.The people that own the house have sold it.My friend has always paid his rent on time and has taken good care of the place.I don't know if there has ever been a lease agreement or not.My question is can the new owners evict him for no reason,or can they do whatever they want because it'stheir house.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I would hope that the previous landlord gave your friend plenty of notice that the property was being sold.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
If there was no lease agreement, your friend is SOL, unless the seller was super nice and put a clause in the sales contract requiring the buyer to honor previous agreements. But since those agreements weren't in writing, the seller would have had to spell out exactly what rights your friend has to continue renting. But chances are if the seller didn't have a written agreement with your friend, he probably didn't think to do him any favors when he sold the property, so your friend is screwed.

johnjrval424

A friend of mine has been renting a house for a long time.The people that own the house have sold it.My friend has always paid his rent on time and has taken good care of the place.I don't know if there has ever been a lease agreement or not.My question is can the new owners evict him for no reason,or can they do whatever they want because it'stheir house.

Your friend is renting on a "month-to-month" basis and therefore is not protected. I would hope that the landlord gave him 30 days notice that the property had been sold and would also give him a reference letter. Your friend may want to ask for that before the landlord goes to settlement.

Otherwise, I hope he has been looking for another place to live (unless, like someone said, the purchasers have agreed to allow him to remain in the property).