Today's Happy News: Giant asteroid could hit Earth in 2014

K

Kain99

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A giant asteroid is heading for Earth and could hit in 2014, U.S. astronomers have warned British space monitors.

But for those fearing Armageddon, don't be alarmed -- the chances of a catastrophic collision are just one in 909,000.

Asteroid "2003 QQ47" will be closely monitored over the next two months. Its potential strike date is March 21, 2014, but astronomers say that any risk of impact is likely to decrease as further data is gathered.

On impact, it could have the effect of 20 million Hiroshima atomic bombs, a spokesman for the British government's Near Earth Object Information Centre told BBC radio.

:yikes:

Better Deploy The Mylar Sails

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by migtig
It figures. I always have bad luck on my birthday. :ohwell:

Since the world is possibly gonna end I have some suggestions on how we could celebrate your B'Day, I will PM them to you.:lmao:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by Pete
Since the world is possibly gonna end I have some suggestions on how we could celebrate your B'Day, I will PM them to you.:lmao:
Uh huh. I am holding my breath. Besides I think we have around 11 years until then.

Vince

It figures. I always have bad luck on my birthday. :ohwell:

What are you talkin about, they're having a free fireworks display in honor of your birthday.:biggrin:

Pete

Repete
Uh huh. I am holding my breath. Besides I think we have around 11 years until then.

11 years, well there are alot of things I want to cram in, 11 years should be enough time.:lmao:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kain99
That information was disseminated to avert panic ... Geez! :rolleyes:
By some of the same people that said that the spaceshuttle would not be impacted by the debris it hit on launching. How safe are we?

Steve

Enjoying life!
From the article: “This particular one was of interest because it is fairly large, 1.3 kilometers [0.8 mile], and the predicted impact was only 10 years away. Combining those two factors, we raised it to some level of concern.

Ten years away and they couldn't take a few friggin' days to verify their data! Did you think someone is a little starved for attention?

Hessian

OK Steve...I'll bite on this one:

I also looked up the asteroid on the net and saw its size at 1.24Km
Then read the hysteria based assessment that it would equal 20 million Hiroshimas?

Now I will apply some "silly" science.
If 1.24 km=20,000,000 atomic bombs

what would be the size of an asteroid that had the impact of 1 atomic bomb????

My calculations (simple as they were) said that a "asteroid" 1/18 of a millimeter would do the job.

OK...either point out my flawed algebra/ physics
OR
Tell me these Nasa Nuts enjoy creating a relevance for their "misunderstood" work. (and are prone to exaggerate?)