Gov Sarah Palin?

ImnoMensa

She might be a good pick.

The Democrats will say she has no experience, but that will be counter productive as their Presidential candidate has no experience either.

They will say McCain is trying for the woman vote, also counter productive as Obama is looking for the black vote.

She ran on a platform of anti-corruption and seems to be absent corruption.

Of course she hasnt been under the microscope yet and I am sure the Dems will find some guy in the 1st grade that she kissed on the mouth.

SamSpade

I've seen a few people online promoting her as a pick for the last six months; I may have even mentioned her name here, myself.

I still think McCain will stick with a "safe" pick, like Romney or Pawlenty. Some of the other names floated about, like Ridge, Palin, Jindal, Lieberman or Hutchison all have fairly good reasons why they'd hurt more than help politically.

But there's been ONE name that would be bold, even though by all accounts, he does not want the job - Colin Powell. There's been a rumor that he's also someone being considered for the job.

This_person

I've seen a few people online promoting her as a pick for the last six months; I may have even mentioned her name here, myself.

I still think McCain will stick with a "safe" pick, like Romney or Pawlenty. Some of the other names floated about, like Ridge, Palin, Jindal, Lieberman or Hutchison all have fairly good reasons why they'd hurt more than help politically.

But there's been ONE name that would be bold, even though by all accounts, he does not want the job - Colin Powell. There's been a rumor that he's also someone being considered for the job.
I've heard that rumor as well. I really like Powell as a choice, almost as much as I like Rice. But, Powell has repeatedly said he never wants to do that process again. I have to wonder if either he has a skeleton or two that just didn't get caught before, or if he really doesn't want his family drug around through the mud of politics.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
I've heard that rumor as well. I really like Powell as a choice, almost as much as I like Rice. But, Powell has repeatedly said he never wants to do that process again. I have to wonder if either he has a skeleton or two that just didn't get caught before, or if he really doesn't want his family drug around through the mud of politics.
I think Powell would like to stay married and his wife told him no politics or else.

Pete

Repete

I think Powell would like to stay married and his wife told him no politics or else.

Powell and Rice would play right into the "3rd term of George Bush" mantra the dems are chanting. Even though Powell and Bush butted heads.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I don't...

...so how McCain can go with a 'safe' pick and expect to win. There are simply far more votes in the middle to be won than on the right that simply won't vote for him. A 'safe' pick gets a few more from the right, but it seems to be would lose at least the same number, likely more, from the middle.

Powell would be awesome and would be the ultimate repudiation of the Bush mistakes made over seas. That would actually excite me.

Palin seems to be pretty well spoken and sounds like she's been a decent governor. She seems to know her issues well enough to deal with a hostile press that will try to 'Clarence Thomas' her.

I can't see Jindal or Leibermann. I can see Ridge as the compromise between safe and at least a little to the middle, and if he is seen as being able to get PA, slam dunk for him.

Romney seems to be out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
or if he really doesn't want his family drug around through the mud of politics.

I think it's this one.

Democrats are vicious and when they get their attack machine going, absolutely nothing is sacred or off-limits. After #####ing about Chelsea, they went after the Bush girls like a pack of rabid dogs. They've gone after Laura Bush, Barbara Bush, and anyone even associated with Bush. The way they've treated Condolezza Rice is an outright travesty, yet someone puts Obama on a $3 bill and it's a hate crime. Harry Belafonte called Powell a ######, and the rest of the Democrats applauded him for it.

:rolleyes:

Colin Powell is smart to not want to subject his family to that.

Pete

Repete
...so how McCain can go with a 'safe' pick and expect to win. There are simply far more votes in the middle to be won than on the right that simply won't vote for him. A 'safe' pick gets a few more from the right, but it seems to be would lose at least the same number, likely more, from the middle.

Powell would be awesome and would be the ultimate repudiation of the Bush mistakes made over seas. That would actually excite me.

Palin seems to be pretty well spoken and sounds like she's been a decent governor. She seems to know her issues well enough to deal with a hostile press that will try to 'Clarence Thomas' her.

I can't see Jindal or Leibermann. I can see Ridge as the compromise between safe and at least a little to the middle, and if he is seen as being able to get PA, slam dunk for him.

Romney seems to be out.
I think Powell has had enough of politics and has no interest of going back into it.

Jindal doesn't want it and I think it is a better bet to let him build more popularity and a record for a run next time.

Lieberman, despite being a great guy and an "Independent" still votes with the democrats most of the time and is liberal on a ton of issues. Choosing him would be a calamity.

Palin will appeal to the right, the women, and to some extent the youth. She seems to have a ton of integrity and the courage to do what is right. I think she is a great pick and more than capable of doing the job but first she would have to stand up to Biden who is the Grand Funk Master of Snide and the Archbishop of Nasty.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

I
Colin Powell is smart to not want to subject his family to that.

...but Powell has only one kid, former FCC boss Michael, who has already been well into the public light and the ugly side with his feud with the ultimate dirt thrower; Stern.

I see Powell as a man who just walked in from the rain being asked to make a trip back to the car; he's already wet. Add to that his credentials and his resume and his long time experience with the talking heads.

I guess the real question, to me, is whether or not Powell has the fire and energy left to take Obama to task on his complete lack of resume in terms of the world stage.

Colin Powell would be fantastic, to me, for US national interests around the world.

Pete

Repete
...but Powell has only one kid, former FCC boss Michael, who has already been well into the public light and the ugly side with his feud with the ultimate dirt thrower; Stern.

I see Powell as a man who just walked in from the rain being asked to make a trip back to the car; he's already wet. Add to that his credentials and his resume and his long time experience with the talking heads.

I guess the real question, to me, is whether or not Powell has the fire and energy left to take Obama to task on his complete lack of resume in terms of the world stage.

Colin Powell would be fantastic, to me, for US national interests around the world.
The libs would loop the tape of him at the UN talking about WMD's 24/7 for the 64 days up to the election.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I am...

The libs would loop the tape of him at the UN talking about WMD's 24/7 for the 64 days up to the election.

...not one that gives a flying crap about what THEY would do. THEY are going to attack as a child raping, NAZI mattress tag tearer-er ANYONE and that's that. Thus, we have a given, thus the only thing that matters is what the individual brings to the game.

Clarence Thomas sat through a personal lynching such as we've not seen since and managed to keep his dignity AND get the job. We are a better nation for him being on the bench. And, frankly, it serves a practical purpose as well when you have insane people foaming at the mouth in opposition to you. Most GOP'ers don't have the stomach to use it against their opponents, but it provides ammo for the right wing writers and personalities to fire back in full force.

So, if Powell has the stomach for the fight, he's got 'em cold. The war was run wrong; He knows how to do it right. It's the same argument Hillary was afraid to use; that the ideas was right, the mission was right, the orders from the top messed things up.

Pete

Repete
...not one that gives a flying crap about what THEY would do. THEY are going to attack as a child raping, NAZI mattress tag tearer-er ANYONE and that's that. Thus, we have a given, thus the only thing that matters is what the individual brings to the game.

Clarence Thomas sat through a personal lynching such as we've not seen since and managed to keep his dignity AND get the job. We are a better nation for him being on the bench. And, frankly, it serves a practical purpose as well when you have insane people foaming at the mouth in opposition to you. Most GOP'ers don't have the stomach to use it against their opponents, but it provides ammo for the right wing writers and personalities to fire back in full force.

So, if Powell has the stomach for the fight, he's got 'em cold. The war was run wrong; He knows how to do it right. It's the same argument Hillary was afraid to use; that the ideas was right, the mission was right, the orders from the top messed things up.

The problem is McCain has to worry about what "they" would do. If he was in office and filling an open seat and in Thomas' case a lifetime appointment, that is one thing but he has to pick someone who is electable who wont draw lightning and potentially sabotage his own efforts because he has this one last shot at it. Risk management Larry, we all play it to some degree.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's...

The problem is McCain has to worry about what "they" would do. If he was in office and filling an open seat and in Thomas' case a lifetime appointment, that is one thing but he has to pick someone who is electable who wont draw lightning and potentially sabotage his own efforts because he has this one last shot at it. Risk management Larry, we all play it to some degree.

...the same mentality, in my view, that has lead the GOP from earning leadership of the House in '94 for the first time in 40 years, to running all three branches in 2000, to the verge of running none by the fall of '08; worrying about everything but the task at hand.

I'll take Powell over Romney or Huckabee or Pawlenty or any of the other risk management picks, thank you very much.

This_person

...the same mentality, in my view, that has lead the GOP from earning leadership of the House in '94 for the first time in 40 years, to running all three branches in 2000, to the verge of running none by the fall of '08; worrying about everything but the task at hand.

I'll take Powell over Romney or Huckabee or Pawlenty or any of the other risk management picks, thank you very much.
Maybe I remember wrong, but isn't your objection to Rice the "four more years of Bush" mantra the left will swing out with - not her actual abilities or political views?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
My...

Maybe I remember wrong, but isn't your objection to Rice the "four more years of Bush" mantra the left will swing out with - not her actual abilities or political views?

...objection to Rice? Where did you get that idea? I love Rice. I have said that her as veep is the one sure way I can think of me voting for McCain, having a good reason.