How long can a cat go without eating?

M

Mousebaby

I'm taking care of a cat and he won't eat,only drinks water.Its been about 4 days or so. Thanks

I think a visit to the vet is in order. Not a good sign if he isn't eating for that long. Something is up, that is my gut feeling.

ohstate

Not long. Our cat stopped eating, and once they do that something happens with their metabolism that can shut down their liver (or some such thing), iirc (has been a few years). The vet tried to put in a feeding tube for the cat, but he still didn't make it.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
It sounds like the cat is missing its owner. Definitely use the tuna method because they can rouse out of any depression for that. If it doesn't eat the tuna, there's an issue that probably needs medical attention.

When I go away the cat barely eats, the dog doesn't eat for days, and the lizard hibernates.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I would take him to the vet...but in the mean time I would get some good steak..cube it and shove it down his throat..we did that with show cats that would not eat for the weekend away from home (mine were good eatters though) keeps their weight up.

S

SeoulFood

until it dies..

dont worry animals dont starve to death.

natural instincts take over and they'll eat.

W

Wenchy

If you have a contact number for the owners give them a call. If not, try the tuna trick as mentioned.

I had one cat who would get so mad when I left she would run away for several days. I did warn whoever was watching the cats that this was normal for her. The other two were never phased at all.

W

Wenchy

Tuna isn't good for cats.

What's the difference between the canned "cat" tuna and the human variety?

When I open a can of tuna my cats go bonkers. I occasionally let them have a flake or two, otherwise they only eat dry food.

Cowgirl

What's the difference between the canned "cat" tuna and the human variety?

When I open a can of tuna my cats go bonkers. I occasionally let them have a flake or two, otherwise they only eat dry food.

Canned human tuna isn't good, but if there is a canned "cat" tuna, it's nutritionally balanced for cats. I doubt a flake or two now and then would hurt, but on a regular basis isn't good.

W

Wenchy

Canned human tuna isn't good, but if there is a canned "cat" tuna, it's nutritionally balanced for cats. I doubt a flake or two now and then would hurt, but on a regular basis isn't good.

Yes, Purina makes a cat variety, and they get a can each in their Christmas stockings.

That's what I thought. :yay:

Still a good enticer to tempt a kitty to eat, don't you think?

sommpd

What's the difference between the canned "cat" tuna and the human variety?.

The human variety usually has the odor because of some sort of infection.....oh wait....wrong type of tuna...thougt we were speaking metaphorically? :lmao:

W

Wenchy

The human variety usually has the odor because of some sort of infection.....oh wait....wrong type of tuna...thougt we were speaking metaphorically? :lmao:

No. This is a serious thread.

catlingirl

If you have a contact number for the owners give them a call. If not, try the tuna trick as mentioned.

I had one cat who would get so mad when I left she would run away for several days. I did warn whoever was watching the cats that this was normal for her. The other two were never phased at all.

Thanks for the advice.