Bertha+Liberal=Why?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
First of all, you had a rough upbringing, yet seem to have managed to overcome it. Did you do this on your own or did you get a government bailout in some form? Because if you did it on your own, that means most other people could, too. And this flies in the face of LibThink, which says that everyone is a victim and needs the government to take care of them.

You also express disapproval for the raunchy TV shows, movies and music that are so prevalent. You've said that it's a bad influence on our youth (which I agree with). This, too, flies in the face of LibThink, which says "Don't watch it if it's going to offend you" and "It's not my job to parent your child."

There are more examples but I'd have to go over all your posts.

I know you're anti-death penalty, which is a Lib cause. But what else? What makes you call yourself a Liberal?

Bertha Venation

Damn! I find this now just when the busiest part of my boss's day hits. (That is, when she finally hangs up the phone, stops writing, and starts bringing me edits and stuff to proof, etc.)

So let me answer when I get home? (For the same reason, I haven't checked out Bruzilla's reply on another thread yet.)

TY

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No sweat - take your time. I'm really interested in what makes people choose a particular political affiliation.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Vrai what a stereotype. All libs love dirty TV & welfare. I guess all righties take their guns to church while driving gas guzzlers and burn crosses in front yards while drinking 10 ounce Buds.

I used to be more liberal, in fact if I was on the left coast I would be considered conservative. Ain't nuthin wrong with different voices as long as they aren't coming from inside your head.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by jlabsher
Vrai what a stereotype. All libs love dirty TV & welfare.
That's not a stereotype - it's the truth. Take a look at the voting records of Congressmen who claim Liberal status. Dirty TV, welfare and abortion.
burn crosses in front yards
That's Democratic Senators from West Virginia you're thinking of, not Republicans. :bubble:

Bertha Venation

(God, I hope this thread doesn't become an "US" vs "THEM" flame war.)
Originally posted by vraiblonde
First of all, you had a rough upbringing, yet seem to have managed to overcome it. . . . What makes you call yourself a Liberal?
I'm going to write just a bit tonight, V, because I got involved in this thing about NY on PBS. Tomorrow I'll address your questions & comments specifically. Feel free to add more questions in the meantime.

I had serious mental problems coming out of college, and at 23 decided rather unconsciously that it was time (quoting one of my favorite films) to get busy livin', or get busy dyin'. I don't know what made me seek the help of a mental professional; I fought it off for a long time because I didn't want to be like my mother. But I did it--and that's what ultimately did keep me from being like my mother. Seeking help was the start of the most unimaginably horrifying process I can imagine: healing childhood trauma. If I hadn't gone through it, God knows who and where I'd be.

I took the bootstrap route. With the occasional exception of cash & food pantry help from my church, along with food stamps when I was too messed up to work (for as an adult I spent a couple of months here & there on the dole myself) I did it alone financially.* Of course, "financially" is only part of the story.

And what may surprise you the most: until about 1990, I was a fundamentalist Christian, anti-gay (although I was), anti-abortion, and was registered as a Republican.

And with that tantalizing tidbit, I say, 'night, all. :kiss:

* One of my sisters went from (1) married with no kids to (2) separated with two kids, ages 4 and 1 (when her husband said "we have no choice but to move in with my mother" she chose a shelter for a couple of nights instead) and totally dependent upon welfare for a couple of months til she could find a job w/ child care to (3) working full time but still needing help from the dole to (4) getting off it completely--hers is a similar happy bootstrap story.

Bertha Venation

First of all, you had a rough upbringing, yet seem to have managed to overcome it. Did you do this on your own or did you get a government bailout in some form? Because if you did it on your own, that means most other people could, too. And this flies in the face of LibThink, which says that everyone is a victim and needs the government to take care of them.
The first thing I have to say about "LibThink" is a question for you: do all political conservatives march in lock step?

Take an issue vitally important to my life: gay Americans. The issue in current politics is our right to equality under the Constitution. Yet irrational and inapplicable things, like the Bible, "sin," child molestation, polygamy, bestiality, etc., keep getting thrown into the discussion. Those wrenches aren't being thrown into the works from the left--and not all liberals think I should have a marriage license.

I know people who think that
  • all conservatives believe all gay people are sick or twisted
  • all conservatives believe all gay people would, if given the chance, molest a child of the same sex (how stupid is that?)
  • all conservatives believe all gay people hate Christians and America
I know people who think that all conservatives range from a mild, nebulous irrational nimbyism ("I don't care what they do just keep it away from me") to raging, murderous full-blown clenched-teeth bat-carrying gay-bashing hatred of anyone possibly construed as not a God-fearing "normal" heterosexual. Yes, all conservatives belong somewhere in here. In fact, no conservative on earth acknowledges gay people as human. [/hyperbole]

What's that? Not every conservative feels this way? You mean, conservatives don't march in lockstep?

What makes you think liberals do? :biggrin:

Political liberals are not all like me. Political conservatives are not all like you. (But I think you and I are both more outspoken than most. Hmm?)

I don't buy a party platform. I don't vote the straight party ticket. Neither am I a one-issue voter. I disagree on at least two major issues with the candidate I support for the Democratic pres. nomination, but he's getting my support, my voice, and my primary vote anyway because I think he's the best alternative we can offer to the current administration (and the best Democrat who's sought the nomination in many years).
You also express disapproval for the raunchy TV shows, movies and music that are so prevalent. You've said that it's a bad influence on our youth (which I agree with). This, too, flies in the face of LibThink, which says "Don't watch it if it's going to offend you" and "It's not my job to parent your child."
On one level, I do believe that if it offends you you ought to just look away. Turn off the tube. Turn off the radio. Don't buy that CD. Quit subscribing to HBO. I don't think that because I'm liberal. I think that because it's common sense. I don't read a right not to be offended in the Constitution. If it doesn't affect you personally--??? On another level--when it comes to children--clearly, it's different.

As for "not my job to parent your child"--in what context would someone say such a thing? Forgive my apparent ignorance....
I know you're anti-death penalty, which is a Lib cause.
Not necessarily. I have a dear friend, 68 yrs old, Oklahoman, spawn of the Bible belt, Republican and conservative as they come, as angrily and loudly against the DP as I am.

I'm not anti-DP because I'm registered a Democrat or because I'm lefty. I'm certainly not anti-DP because it's my party's line. I am anti-DP because I think it's wrong to take a human life under just about any circumstances. I was anti-DP when I was conservative.

Vrai, your use of the terms "libthink" and "a lib cause" make me wonder, with no offense meant, please, how much you've thought about the things you say about liberals. Some of what you say is pretty downright mean.

But what else? What makes you call yourself a Liberal?
I can answer "what else" pretty easily. Here's a list:
  • the obvious ones you already know--anti-DP, pro-gay
  • pro-choice
  • firearms--the jury's not fully in; I've been wrestling with this one for years with no end in sight
  • certified "tree-hugger," I think you'd call it (my money protects the environment; we drive economy cars and recycle whatever's recyclable; etc.)
I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Want to offer up some things you think are "lib causes" and find out where I stand?

As for "what makes you call yourself a liberal"--I don't know. Peer pressure? :wink: Honestly, I don't know how to answer that. As I say, it's not because I vote a party line... let me think about how to answer.

I resist, I defy, being labelled and stereotyped. I hope this discussion can dispel some myths you may've adopted without realizing they're myths. I expect to learn from this thread, too.

too late now... bed calls... 'night, all :snooze:

Makavide

Not too talkative
something I could never understand -

Originally posted by Bertha Venation

I am anti-DP because I think it's wrong to take a human life under just about any circumstances.

I can answer "what else" pretty easily. Here's a list:
  • the obvious ones you already know--anti-DP, pro-gay
  • pro-choice

• How can someone be against the death penalty, "because I think it is wrong to take a human life ...", but still condone the taking the human life of a fetus?

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: something I could never understand -

Originally posted by Makavide
How can someone be against the death penalty, "because I think it is wrong to take a human life ...", but still condone the taking the human life of a fetus?

I have struggled for years with the same notion, but reversed with people believing in the death penalty and against abortion.

K

Kain99

Re: Re: something I could never understand -

Originally posted by SmallTown
I have struggled for years with the same notion, but reversed with people believing in the death penalty and against abortion.

I wouldn't struggle with that ST.... It's simple. There is a difference between taking the life of an innocent human being and taking the life of a menace to society.

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: Re: something I could never understand -

Originally posted by Kain99
I wouldn't struggle with that ST.... It's simple. There is a difference between taking the life of an innocent human being and taking the life of a menace to society.

It is still removing a "life", and all of the reasons people use to reject abortion can be used for the death penalty as well. Both sides becoems hyprocrits when they are against the other. The only logical stance (whether it is right or wrong) is to be for or against both. Death is death, you can't separate "good death" from "bad death". People like to add little tags to the death penalty to make it seem above abortion, saying it is "justice" and the such, but the end result is the same. And all of the reasons they give for being against abortion can be applied to the death penalty, IF they want to see it.

Pro Death Penatly and Pro Choice is this route I take.

J

justhangn

Re: Re: Re: Re: something I could never understand -

Originally posted by SmallTown
It is still removing a "life", and all of the reasons people use to reject abortion can be used for the death penalty as well.

I disagree. Taking the life of a maggot is totally different from killing a child that hasn't had the chance to screw up his/her life.

Abortion is an expensive contraception where the death penalty is a cheap way to rid society of its worse offenders.

IMHO

Surf City Baby

Re: something I could never understand -

How can someone be against the death penalty, "because I think it is wrong to take a human life ...", but still condone the taking the human life of a fetus?
I didn't say at what stage I, if it were up to me, would disallow women from having abortions. (Is a fetus viable at the end of the first trimester, for example?)

But it's not up to me--neither is it up to anyone else but the woman.

Bertha Venation

rasser frasser cookies!

I didn't say at what stage I, if it were up to me, would disallow women from having abortions. (Is a fetus viable at the end of the first trimester, for example?)

But it's not up to me--neither is it up to anyone else but the woman.

cookies... :cussing:

B

Bruzilla

I am SOOOOOO glad my parents never screwed up my head with religion!!! There's no such thing as a "good death" and a "bad death?" Are you kidding me??? Human beings live in societies. We are a social animal, and like any other social animal we need to have structure and stability. Without it, the law of the jungle comes into play, and while someone who's 6'6" and over 300 pounds like myself would love it, I doubt that someone who's 5'5" tall and weighs 110 pounds would appreciate me bashing their head in and taking their stuff.

When you've got someone who's demonstrated their willingness to not follow the rules, who's willing to commit the most heinous acts, they are not someone you can have in society. In nature, an animal that acts this way is cast out from the herd and left to support an upper link of the neighborhood food chain. :biggrin: We have the death penalty. The results are the same.

I don't believe that any human life is "sacred". We do what we have to do in order to maintain society. We kill the bad guys because it's cheaper than keeping them alive for all their lives, and we kill babies because their parents are unable or unwilling to raise them. That's better to having killers roaming the streets or even more unwanted children.

Back to the matter at hand, Bertha brings up an interesting point. She's quick to point out how vital it is that gays have a right to equality under the Constitution, yet she's sitting on the fence about the Constitutional rights of gun owners. If you're going to believe in Constitutional rights for one group, you have to believe in those rights for all groups, whether you agree with them or not. If you find yourself fighting for rights for one group, but opposing those of another, you don't deserve any rights (IMHO).

Are all Liberals and Conservatives of the same mind? No, but what does that matter? It is not the individual that makes politics, it's the majority of individuals. As long as you can make 51% of the group believe that something is right, you win. That's what Vrai refers to as "Libthink." Here are some classic examples of "Libthink":

1. The 90's represented the longest period of economic prosperity in American history. This gets repeated as gospel despite the fact that most of that economic prosperity was a phantom, consisting of greatly overvalued internet companies and companies falsely reporting their incomes.

2. We are going it alone in Iraq! I think Ken covered this pretty well.

3. The US has lost three million jobs! Yes, but how many have been created during that time? That's a number that never gets reported. I, for example, lost my job at one company when we lost our contract and was immediately hired by the company that won the contract. I was one of those three million, yet I never really lost my job.

4. The Democrats were responsible for putting 100,000 new cops on the street. I love this one! The money that was made available for hiring new cops covered one half of their first year salary. That's it. No money for training, equipment, benefits, etc. After the first year the municipality had to cover all of the officer's costs, which is why only a handful of officers were hired because of this effort. There were no 100,000 new police officers hired. All that money did was offer a one-time offset to some of the costs that big city agencies spent on hiring new officers that they would have been hiring anyway.

5. We need more gun laws! I think the biggest argument against this was Sean Combs's arrest in NYC for brandishing and firing an illegal handgun in Chuck Schumer's home state. Combs broke about 30 state, city, and federal firearms laws, but he was only charged with two. So the laws didn't deter the crime, nor were the laws enforced.

6. There's a right to abortion. We've read this one several times on this forum. There is no right to abortion, and there never has been one, yet many Liberals feel there is.

7. Al Gore should be President because he got the most votes. Gore lost the election because the Founding Fathers were smart enough to figure out that some sneaky candidate might try to win the office by catering to the city folks while ignoring the country folks, which is what Gore did. You can get 100% of the vote in the major cities and far more votes (numerically) than your opponent, and still lose if you don't get the votes from the country folks. That's not stealing an election... that's just some well thought out fairness in our political system.

8. Government has the final say over business. This is my biggest problem with Libthink. Liberals believe that you can pass any regulation on a business, and that business has to take it. They forget that a business always has the two final options: close the doors or move to another country. That's why we have so many businesses closing or moving overseas.

9. Lower taxes for the rich are unfair. As I've said before, the Liberals always love to talk about how much money the Rich are getting back and compare that to how much a middle-income taxpayer is getting, but never mention how much more the Rich are paying in.

10. And the King of them all... most people need the government in order to survive.

Are there plenty of examples of "Conservethink"? Yep... but as a whole I agree with the principles of Conservethink more than those of Libthink.

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by Bruzilla
Bertha brings up an interesting point. She's quick to point out how vital it is that gays have a right to equality under the Constitution, yet she's sitting on the fence about the Constitutional rights of gun owners. If you're going to believe in Constitutional rights for one group, you have to believe in those rights for all groups, whether you agree with them or not. If you find yourself fighting for rights for one group, but opposing those of another, you don't deserve any rights (IMHO).
How did you get that I'm "sitting on the fence about the Constitutional rights of gun owners" from what I wrote: "firearms--the jury's not fully in; I've been wrestling with this one for years with no end in sight"? It seems you've read in a great deal.

More later.

B

Bruzilla

Hmmm... me thinks I've hit an exposed nerve here.:bandit:

Am I reading too much into your statement? Let's see... when you talk about equal rights for Gays, you write "Take an issue vitally important to my life: gay Americans. The issue in current politics is our right to equality under the Constitution." This is an admirable position that you take, and one that I have stated I share in several posts on this forum.

Now, in regards to guns, you write "firearms--the jury's not fully in; I've been wrestling with this one for years with no end in sight"? "The jury's not fully in" means that someone's undecided, does it not? "I've been wrestling with this one for years with no end in sight" means that you're trying to reach a decision and don't feel that you ever will, does it not? "Sitting on a fence" means that you're undecided about something, does it not?

Your comments reflect, accurately I assume, that you are 100% for the enforcement of equal rights, under the Constitution, for Gay Americans; but you haven't decided yet if Constitutional rights for gun owners are a good thing that should be enforced. That is selective enforcement of the law, and one of the biggest problems that this country has. My guess is you think that you're a big supporter of Constitutional rights, but you really aren't.

I think that before you can express righteous indignation about anyone denying someone their equal rights because they are Gay, you must also be able to express righteous indignation and say that it's wrong to deny the right to keep and bear arms to an American. If your jury isn't in yet on the rights of gun owners, then you're no different from the people who feel it's ok to deny the rights of Gays.

Bertha Venation

Hmmm... me thinks I've hit an exposed nerve here.:bandit:

Am I reading too much into your statement?
Yes, Bruzilla, you are.

I'm getting a little tired of seeing my comments blown into something I neither believe nor intended to write and being beaten over the head with them. My own fault, I suppose; perhaps I express myself too subtly.

Do I think there is a Constitutional right to bear arms? Yes. Any fifth-grader can understand what the 2nd Amendment says on its face.

Did I ever say that that was what I was "fence sitting" about? No. I did not.

Yeah, I'd say you read way too much in, Bruzer.
My guess is you think that you're a big supporter of Constitutional rights, but you really aren't. . . . you're no different from the people who feel it's ok to deny the rights of Gays.
Given that you're indeed reading too much into my posts, I'd say this is quite unfair.

B

Bruzilla

Oh yeah... BIG open nerve there!

If I'm wrong, then why don't you please enlighten me as to what firearm issues your jury is still out on? What facets of gun ownership are you wrestling with?

Surf City Baby

Oh yeah... BIG open nerve there!
I'm beginning to feel like Dustin Hoffman... you don't happen to resemble Laurence Olivier, do you? :wink:

Why do you suppose this is such a "big open nerve?" Please give me your impressions before I answer.