Interesting Read

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I don't call it an interesting read. Does Mr. Malloy expect the President to attend the wake/funeral of each and every airman, marine, sailor, and soldier that has fallen in this conflict, after all he is their Commander In Chief too? Was it even requested by the family, unit, or anyone else?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by Ken King
I don't call it an interesting read. Does Mr. Malloy expect the President to attend the wake/funeral of each and every airman, marine, sailor, and soldier that has fallen in this conflict, after all he is their Commander In Chief too? Was it even requested by the family, unit, or anyone else?

Of course he can't go to all the funerals, but some intern could've arranged for flowers or a condolence note and had it presented for the pres's sig.

Bush lost the vote of that man's family and of many of the people who read this column. That, at least, should count for something to him.:rolleyes:

B

Bruzilla

I think it's safe to say that Bush didn't lose a single vote over this. Less than 1 in 10 voters in DC voted for Bush, so I would say the odds are that this family has never pulled the lever for a Republican.

I think this article is just another example of a reporter trying to exploit someone's personal sorrow to further an agenda.

Dymphna

Originally posted by Bruzilla
I think it's safe to say that Bush didn't lose a single vote over this. Less than 1 in 10 voters in DC voted for Bush, so I would say the odds are that this family has never pulled the lever for a Republican.

I think this article is just another example of a reporter trying to exploit someone's personal sorrow to further an agenda.

Let me correct myself, he might have picked up a few votes. As a politician, regardless of persuasion, he didn't do the right thing.

I agree the columnist had his own agenda. I doubt the soldier felt "disenfranchised." In fact, I think the only ones in DC who feel disenfranchised are the politicians and wanna be politicians.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by cmcdanal
Of course he can't go to all the funerals, but some intern could've arranged for flowers or a condolence note and had it presented for the pres's sig.
Again, should Bush do this for every soldier killed? Another :bs: piece by some basher. The Post should just have "We hate George Bush" printed on their masthead and skip the bits and pieces.

C, why do you think he would have picked up votes? A more likely scenario is that, had Bush attended, he would have been ripped to shreds by the media for such an obvious pander.

Ken King

PREMO Member

Bush lost the vote of that man's family and of many of the people who read this column. That, at least, should count for something to him.:rolleyes:
How would it impact anyone if the family didn't request the President to show up? If anyone changes how they feel about Bush for this then they are no great loss. Now if anyone of you can show where the Whitehouse received a request to honor the fallen soldier and they refused that request then I'll jump on board with you. Right now all we have are the rantings of this one reporter.

Vince

:yeahthat:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by vraiblonde
C, why do you think he would have picked up votes? A more likely scenario is that, had Bush attended, he would have been ripped to shreds by the media for such an obvious pander.

Way too logical, Vrai.:biggrin:

Dymphna

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Again, should Bush do this for every soldier killed? Another :bs: piece by some basher. The Post should just have "We hate George Bush" printed on their masthead and skip the bits and pieces.

I never said he should attend. I said it would take no effort on his part to sent flowers or a note. He COULD do this for every National Guardsman, since most governors do it in other states. It would not be obvious pandering b/c the media would likely not know about it. But the soldier's poor old mother or grandmother would tell everyone she knew what a nice note the family got and what a nice man that President Bush is to recognize what a hero her boy was.

Ken King

PREMO Member
I never said he should attend. I said it would take no effort on his part to sent flowers or a note. He COULD do this for every National Guardsman, since most governors do it in other states. It would not be obvious pandering b/c the media would likely not know about it. But the soldier's poor old mother or grandmother would tell everyone she knew what a nice note the family got and what a nice man that President Bush is to recognize what a hero her boy was.
You do realize that families of fallen service members (combat related) do receive a letter from the Whitehouse offering condolences and thanking the family for the sacrifice that their family member made for a grateful nation.

Dymphna

You do realize that families of fallen service members (combat related) do receive a letter from the Whitehouse offering condolences and thanking the family for the sacrifice that their family member made for a grateful nation.

I THOUGHT that was the case, but didn't want to say that w/o knowing for sure. Did this guy not get his note? Because that's what the column said. If the columnist is outright lying that changes things doesn't it?

Ken King

PREMO Member
I THOUGHT that was the case, but didn't want to say that w/o knowing for sure. Did this guy not get his note? Because that's what the column said. If the columnist is outright lying that changes things doesn't it?
It might be a timing deal, but rest assured that they will receive it. I think I'll email the Whitehouse just to make sure they still are doing this.

B

Bruzilla

I don't think you can equate the demands on POTUS with those of a state governor. The state governor's demands are such that they can take the time to recognize the death of one of their guardsmen. That's not the case with POTUS.

Do you really think that a life-time DC Democrat would change their vote because of a letter and some flowers? Because if you do I have some swamp land in Florida for sale. :biggrin:

SmallTown

Football season!

Do you really think that a life-time DC Democrat would change their vote because of a letter and some flowers? Because if you do I have some swamp land in Florida for sale. :biggrin:

Then why do people running for office campaign? Why do they go out and "meet the people" do their "baby kissing", send out flyers with their smiling face on the front ? There will be some that won't be convinced, but with regards to this argument we have no idea if these people are hard core life-time democrats or not.

Dymphna

I don't think you can equate the demands on POTUS with those of a state governor. The state governor's demands are such that they can take the time to recognize the death of one of their guardsmen. That's not the case with POTUS.

He IS the CIC of the DC National Guard. It that way he IS equivalent in this situation to a state governor.

And people have changed their vote for less, even life long Democrats.

He IS the CIC of the DC National Guard. It that way he IS equivalent in this situation to a state governor.

And people have changed their vote for less, even life long Democrats.
He IS the CIC of the ENTIRE military establishment of the ENTIRE USA. He trumps the governors. Williams is more like the gov. of D.C. than Bush. He is the highest ranking member of the govt. for the geographic area.

Dymphna

Originally posted by huntr1
He IS the CIC of the ENTIRE military establishment of the ENTIRE USA. He trumps the governors. Williams is more like the gov. of D.C. than Bush. He is the highest ranking member of the govt. for the geographic area.

Of course dear :rolleyes: But as Ken said, all of the deceased soldiers, at least in the regular military get a letter noting their contribution to their country. I don't know if every national guardsman gets such a letter, but the DC national guard should.