Why???????

vfreeman

Okay, I am not from here. But where I grew up we were taught to walk on the left side of the road, towards traffic and to ride our bikes on the right side of the road, with traffic. WHY does no one in Lexington Park seem to have ever even heard of this?????? So ridiculous and dangerous. When we first moved here my husband would go out running with our dog, on the left side of the road and he actually got yelled at by some guy who said he was on the "wrong" side of the road. HELLO??! And what especially drives us crazy is that we will be walking our dog (90 lb weimaraner), on a leash on the left side of the road and everything is fine. Then someone comes towards us but they are walking on the right side of the road so now we get the dirty looks because the dog is pulling towards the person when we pass each other, like it is MY fault that they aren't walking where they are supposed to in the first place? Any my dog is on a leash anyway, unlike most other people and their dogs in the neighborhood.
And don't even get me started about how freakin fast people drive down Long Lane, which is 25mph. I am actually too scared to walk down there with my dog and kid during the busy parts of the day. My husband had to dive into the ditch with the dog last weekend on his run.
And one more thing, while I am on a rant. Why is everyone so freakin' unfriendly and pissed off all the time??! There are about 20 houses in our development and I was at our mailboxes and someone who actually lives about two house away from me (who I have never met) was there as well. I said, "hi" and he actually just looked at me (6 inches from my face) looked away and walked off. Didn't say anything! Granted, I am from Maine where people are different(in more ways than one...and not all good!), and apparently nicer and better educated on traffic laws but come on!! :)

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Okay, I am not from here. But where I grew up we were taught to walk on the left side of the road, towards traffic and to ride our bikes on the right side of the road, with traffic. WHY does no one in Lexington Park seem to have ever even heard of this?????? So ridiculous and dangerous. When we first moved here my husband would go out running with our dog, on the left side of the road and he actually got yelled at by some guy who said he was on the "wrong" side of the road. HELLO??! And what especially drives us crazy is that we will be walking our dog (90 lb weimaraner), on a leash on the left side of the road and everything is fine. Then someone comes towards us but they are walking on the right side of the road so now we get the dirty looks because the dog is pulling towards the person when we pass each other, like it is MY fault that they aren't walking where they are supposed to in the first place? Any my dog is on a leash anyway, unlike most other people and their dogs in the neighborhood.
And don't even get me started about how freakin fast people drive down Long Lane, which is 25mph. I am actually too scared to walk down there with my dog and kid during the busy parts of the day. My husband had to dive into the ditch with the dog last weekend on his run.
And one more thing, while I am on a rant. Why is everyone so freakin' unfriendly and pissed off all the time??! There are about 20 houses in our development and I was at our mailboxes and someone who actually lives about two house away from me (who I have never met) was there as well. I said, "hi" and he actually just looked at me (6 inches from my face) looked away and walked off. Didn't say anything! Granted, I am from Maine where people are different(in more ways than one...and not all good!), and apparently nicer and better educated on traffic laws but come on!! :)

Your experiences do not necessarily reflect those views and opinions of the majority of SOMDers :smile:

ocean733

I'm not from here. I'm from Philly. I used to go against traffic so I can see who is going to hit me.

I don't care what anyone thinks. :ohwell:

Last edited:
W

White Buddah

If you are on wheels, doesn't one have to follow the rules and regulations of a vehicle? Could swear that's the case. If on foot, walking into traffic is so drivers can see you and you can see them at the same time. Right?

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
People are dumb everywhere these days.

My latest pet peeve is watching a-hole drivers that can see that they have a red light coming up ahead yet continue to accelerate until the last 50 yards only to slam their brakes on.

Guess they like wasting fuel and brake life.

emma1606

I don't understand why cyclists - especially in downtown DC think it's ok for them to go through a red light. Don't the traffic laws apply to them?????

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I've never really concerned myself with which side of the street I should walk or ride my bike on when in a residential area, even though I do know the rules (of course, I always break them). People speed all the time. Write down their plate numbers and call them in.

Stop expecting everyone to like you. Stop talking to strangers.

I know plenty of nice people. I know plenty of intelligent people. Neither of them would move to a new community and insult them.

Nanny Pam

I don't understand why cyclists - especially in downtown DC think it's ok for them to go through a red light. Don't the traffic laws apply to them?????

We have the same thing over here and every summer we manage to kill off 20 or so foreign students, because they refuse to obey the laws here.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Maybe because you are ranting.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Cars and bike have to follow the rules of the road. Walkers can basically walk in any direction. I don;t know if there are "jay walking" laws in St. Mary's governing where people can cross the street. I know that up in DC, walkers must cross at the cross walks when crossing the road.

W

White Buddah

Cars and bike have to follow the rules of the road. Walkers can basically walk in any direction. I don;t know if there are "jay walking" laws in St. Mary's governing where people can cross the street. I know that up in DC, walkers must cross at the cross walks when crossing the road.
I don't know either about jay walking. I do know that if someone/people are not in a cross walk, I don't slow down. I also know if they are walking with traffic, I don't get too far over. I've never hit anyone, but have scared them more stupid.

vfreeman

Well, I definitely didn't say Mainers were better educated on any other subject besides my traffic issues! There are just as many idiots there.
I don't EXPECT anyone to like me, you don't have to like someone to have common courtesy and/or good manners in returning a hello at the frickin mailboxes.
And I wish I had chosen to move here so I could chose to move someplace else.

hurricane

It's 5 O'clock somewhere!

Yes, and even if they don't want those laws to apply, Newton's laws of motion will take over.

-H