Why???

MrX

High Octane
Why is it, that at "rush hour" everyone heading towards Calvert from St Mary's on Rt4 has to either stop or slow down to a crawl just before the Thomas Johnson Bridge? Traffic is backed up for miles for no reason at all because [most] everyone has to go through this routine; once past that point, traffic moves mostly fine. :shrug:

Also, why does [most] everyone insist on slowing down for that ever so slight curve on the bridge? It doesnt matter which way you're heading, people react like its a 90* bend or something. :shrug:

TIA!

crazysquid

Your user title SUCKS
Why is it, that at "rush hour" everyone heading towards Calvert from St Mary's on Rt4 has to either stop or slow down to a crawl just before the Thomas Johnson Bridge? Traffic is backed up for miles for no reason at all because [most] everyone has to go through this routine; once past that point, traffic moves mostly fine. :shrug:

Also, why does [most] everyone insist on slowing down for that ever so slight curve on the bridge? It doesnt matter which way you're heading, people react like its a 90* bend or something. :shrug:

TIA!
:killingme it's the same people that drive side by side doing 45 MPH in a 55 mph zone

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
It is a chain reaction that starts from the idiots that are afraid to coast down the backside of the bridge and insist on braking their car to move no faster than 30 mph.

People love to brake for no apparent reason more and more.

belvak

Happy Camper
Hubby drives home from Calvert to St. Mary's every day and asks the same question!! Guess it happens on both sides of the bridge.

Last edited:

MrX

High Octane
Hubby drives home from Calvert to St. Mary's every day and ask the same question!! Guess is happens on both sides of the bridge.

OOPS!!! Read it backwards. :stupid: I apologize! :blushing:

Made sense to me, you're saying it happens on the Calvert side as well as the St Mary's side I was referring to.

Is it me or are the number of people doing stupid things while driving increasing daily?

Hubby drives home from Calvert to St. Mary's every day and ask the same question!! Guess is happens on both sides of the bridge.

It's a nice view enjoy it!

Road narrows, no shoulders, no escape routes. It's a natural reaction and not totally unwarranted. How much longer does it take to go a mile at 25 versus 45?

belvak

Happy Camper
Made sense to me, you're saying it happens on the Calvert side as well as the St Mary's side I was referring to.

Is it me or are the number of people doing stupid things while driving increasing daily?

So I'm not brain dead? :yahoo: I was really scared there for a minute. I re-read my post and realized I made a few typos. Think I need a beer! :buddies: Working on that now!! :otter:

MrX

High Octane

Road narrows, no shoulders, no escape routes. It's a natural reaction and not totally unwarranted. How much longer does it take to go a mile at 25 versus 45?

Guess it depends on how consistently those in front go 25 mph without brakes.

I could understand the reaction if it were the first time said people had crossed this bridge, but you see many of the same people at the same time doing the same things on the way home. The bridge gets no narrower or different on any given day.

puggymom

When I lived in CT there was a tunnel that I had to go through every day on my way to and from work. Same thing every day, both ways. Bumper to bumper through the tunnel over nothing.
Bridges are the same...I think some people just cannot handle it.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR

best advice ever. Why get excited and get you cholestarol up over a little traffic. Set out every mornining to enjoy the view and you day will start out so pleseant:yay:

MrX

High Octane
best advice ever. Why get excited and get you cholestarol up over a little traffic. Set out every mornining to enjoy the view and you day will start out so pleseant:yay:

I work in DC, so I dont travel that route every day; I was just asking. Besides, I was excited or irritated.....just curious. :buddies:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
I work in DC, so I dont travel that route every day; I was just asking. Besides, I was excited or irritated.....just curious. :buddies:

I used a WHY question in your why fread and did not realize the IRONY until you quoted it:killingme

me123

TIA!

Because there's an invisible stop sign that only idiots see.....

I deal with it everyday!! Some days are better than others.....

malibumomma

amen, some people just seem to always be in a freaking hurry, it would take these rusher more time to get over if there was an accident because someone was driving faster and nervous about being on the bridge. I bet the **** that started this subject is one of the idots that drive straight in the right turn lane only in front of the food lion in lusby.

GraphitePearl

Its actually quite simple. People follow too closely. If everyone were to be patient and allow a few car distance between them and the car in front of them when that person tapped the brakes they could simply lift off the gas and not have to panic brake which causes the "rubber band effect". A study last year in Europe found that in a typical congested highway with no traffic, a driver simply touching their brakes could cause a stop and go situation less than a mile behind them for 20 minutes simply because people follow too close.

Plain and simple, thats a fact. Consider that next time you are coasting down rt.4 on the decline down to the first "little bridge" before the T.J. bridge and allow a few car lengths between you and the car in front of you. What you will find is that you can maintain your speed without touching your brakes all the way across the bridge.

Try it.