Wanted: Old Phone Books

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
The St. Mary’s County Government’s Department of Public Works is collecting telephone books for recycling. The local phone book distribution cycle typically runs from October 1 through March 31 of the following calendar year. They may be mixed with other recyclables, i.e. newspapers, magazines, mixed paper and commingled beverage containers as part of the “Single Stream” recycling program located at the six (6) County Convenience Centers including Charlotte Hall, St. Andrew’s, Ridge, Clements, Valley Lee and Oakville.

This year, approximately 75,000 new telephone books will be distributed throughout St. Mary’s County. Paper products comprise the largest percentage of the County’s waste stream by weight, and collecting telephone books will help keep this reusable resource out of the landfill. Old telephone books can be made into ceiling tiles, pizza cartons, comic books and even new phone books!

For more information, call the Department of Public Works at (301) 863-8400 or visit the County website at St. Mary's County Department of Public Works and Transportation - Homepage.

L

luckystar

This year, approximately 75,000 new telephone books will be distributed throughout St. Mary’s County. Paper products comprise the largest percentage of the County’s waste stream by weight, and collecting telephone books will help keep this reusable resource out of the landfill. Old telephone books can be made into ceiling tiles, pizza cartons, comic books and even new phone books!

Woohoo! Recycling is awesome.

JustTheFax

On the Right Side.
It would better to stop printing phone books. I never use the one left at my home. The internet can find the numbers I need much faster than the time it takes to walk to the shelf the book is on.